Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marshals on bikes instead of motos
Quote | Reply
Why can't Ironman embed volunteer marshalls in the race on bikes. Similar to marathon pacers. These marshals could be experienced riders who would start in T1 at different times and could jump into these pelotons and start calling numbers on a radio to the tent up the road. You could probably nail the entire group without anyone knowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Marshals on bikes instead of motos [rubydog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would need a lodge or something for that kinda packs, how could anyone identify there bibs on the board so fast? Would be another major crash I guess.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racers would just start drafting off the marshals. Ever see what happens when State Patrol car hit the freeway? No one passes, everyone stacks up behind it.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently this is already being one on the IMMT/70.3 courses

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in! I volunteer.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubydog wrote:
Why can't Ironman embed volunteer marshalls in the race on bikes. Similar to marathon pacers. These marshals could be experienced riders who would start in T1 at different times and could jump into these pelotons and start calling numbers on a radio to the tent up the road. You could probably nail the entire group without anyone knowing.

There's two separate questions here. Why can't they? They could. Very easily.

Why WON'T/HAVEN'T they is the real que$tion.

$omething tell$ me that we already know the an$wer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of safety. You'd have to be able to keep up with the pack (often times they are FOPers) while riding alongside, be able to show a yellow card (i.e. ride one-handed), identify the race number and talk through a radio while riding 25+ mph, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Marshals on bikes instead of motos [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Because of safety. You'd have to be able to keep up with the pack (often times they are FOPers) while riding alongside, be able to show a yellow card (i.e. ride one-handed), identify the race number and talk through a radio while riding 25+ mph, etc.

In other words, in order for this to work you’d need roadies to volunteer. (Pink. Sort of.)
Quote Reply
Re: Marshals on bikes instead of motos [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Quebec has a program for this that they have used for a couple of seasons, that covers 70.3/Ironman Tremblant, and some of their other races as well... they have people trained in the bike rules from the ITU rulebook, and send them out in regular kit and a bike, but with a chest pack for the radio, and a whistle and penalty cards... as soon as a few racers get popped by "undercover" officials, word spreads and packs break up. The race where I saw this in action was a multi-loop event with multiple waves of olympic, sprint and tri a tri races overlapping, a relatively large field, and was one of the cleanest races that I've seen. There were still a couple of officials on motorbikes out there as well, and then a couple of undercovers... I was skeptical as to the degree of impact it might have, but once I saw it in action, I was pretty impressed.

Hopefully more jurisdictions start to adopt the approach of sending out a few of them... For the volunteers for that squad, it's a solid training day as well as helping to ensure a clean and safe race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would work if eBikes were used. A tandem version would be even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubydog wrote:

Easier said than done.

You expect a marshal on a bicycle to be able to record and radio in information while riding in a draft pack? And then you expect the guilty cyclist to be hear someone on the side of the road yelling at them to pull over and serve a penalty they didn't know they received while riding in a pack of others?

If WTC wanted to change the way they hand out penalties, and just deduct time rather than force people to stop at tents, I suppose this could work. But then you introduce issues where the first person to cross the line may not be your actual winner until you factor in all penalties.

ETA: If you do it as mentioned above, where you basically blow a whistle at one guy and let the word spread it can be effective. But you aren't going to "catch" the entire pack without them knowing.
Last edited by: Jason N: Apr 30, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Marshals on bikes instead of motos [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

You there aren't fop-ers who would volunteer?

You have the volunteers depart T2 based on skill level. Slower volunteers who will be policing the B O P & M O P group leave later on, faster Riders leave early to police the front.

Enlist local cycling clubs. I bet there are hundreds of really fast pure cyclists it would love to be out on course reffing triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubydog wrote:

I could see an opportunity for Starky moonlighting.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing new under the sun...
This, for the past 30-40 years, is a boots on the ground scenario. Get Gold Wings, the scooters...whatever and put officials out on the course. I'd hazard a guess that there are fewer officials at these races than work a high school football game.

$$$ talk. Besides, WTC doesn't want to piss of the paying customers by penalizing them. Additionally, IF penalties are assessed then ST goes aflame with complaints of Nazis out on the bike course.

Until people walk away from races and vote with their wallets there is little incentive to change.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply