Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career
Quote | Reply
Possibly one of the greatest to never win in Kona. Just consistently a great performer at races. Does Marino have the most sub 8 performances?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is an awesome person, and great athlete. he will be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Totally agree.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Herbert wrote:

X2.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Only ever had one dealing with him when the week before Kona in 2015 I punctured while training just after getting back on the Queen K from the Hawi end so a long way from home. I had run over a bolt that cut my tyre and I was trying to work out if I could fix it to continue on. Many people rode past and next minute a guy pulls up on their bike with a car in support and said 'are you ok?' I look up and to my surprise Marino has stopped and is standing behind me. I thought I would be good to go so thanked him and off he went. I am sure he is one of very few pros who would have stopped to see if an age grouper was ok on the side of the road so I have to totally agree awesome guy and a huge loss for our sport.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 19, 19 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through 2018 Sebi is the leader with 5 sub-8’s.

https://www.tri247.com/...men-male-triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marino is an absolute legend of the sport and it was a lot of fun racing against him! I always loved his Terminator like attitude and pre-race quotes.

My favorite memory of racing with him was Ironman Chattanooga 2016. It was ridiculously hot and humid that year. He won, I was second and we didn't even get a podium photo because he went straight to the med tent and I joined him there after puking my guts out underneath the media table!

Good times! 😜

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Herbert wrote:

X2.

x3. Ledge.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Hey, the guy is alive, just not doing tris! I loved when he lead the TTT for Macca back to kailua pier in 2010. That cunning fox Macca convinced Marino, Tissink and Faris that there only hope to beat Crowie was to put the screws to him before T2 and build a massive lead. Meanwhile Macca sat in as everyone thought his run legs were done since 2008....then Macca takes the win. Then Macca slams into Marino's derailleur at T1 in 2012 and Marino has to ride the entire ride in a massive gear (and comes to T2 with a massive lead over Pete Jacobs and crew).

I think Macca owes Marino a lifetime supply of beers as a retirement present just for these two days in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Hey, the guy is alive, just not doing tris! I loved when he lead the TTT for Macca back to kailua pier in 2010. That cunning fox Macca convinced Marino, Tissink and Faris that there only hope to beat Crowie was to put the screws to him before T2 and build a massive lead. Meanwhile Macca sat in as everyone thought his run legs were done since 2008....then Macca takes the win. Then Macca slams into Marino's derailleur at T1 in 2012 and Marino has to ride the entire ride in a massive gear (and comes to T2 with a massive lead over Pete Jacobs and crew).

I think Macca owes Marino a lifetime supply of beers as a retirement present just for these two days in Kona.

I remember 2012 that Thomas Helriegel was commenting (I think in German) where Marino somewhere during the marathon had his Sara True moment and starting sitting on a table at an aid station. Thomas has some special humor and said someting like "So, now he sits down and they are gonna ask him his name and if he does not know that they'll take him out of the race". Which they did.
Great racer, I do not recall how many times he won Austria in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just poured out a 2 liter of Coke in his honor.
Quote Reply
Re: Marino Vanhoenacker calls it a career [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didnt he always say "PR or ER" or something like that? and subsequently had a few ambulance rides in kona?

He definately raced with impeccable style - awesome refined fitness, body fat, technique, gutsy all in record breaking racing, attention grabbing interviews, bikes, helmets.... He is part of what made the sport great to watch
Quote Reply