1 x 2100 @ 30 min (27:38)
1 x 1400 @ 20 min (17:48)
1 x 725 @ 10 min (9:11)

Total time = 54:37

175 cool down
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [habitman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't been in the pool in a week...still felt good today and should still hit the 30 mile mark!

300s/200p/100k w/u
4 x 75 kick @ 1:40
2 x {4 x 25 sprint @ :20, 4 x 50 drill IM order @ 1:00, 4 x 100 IM @ 1:45, 4 x 50 free @ 1:00, 4 x 25 sprint IM order @ :20} 100 pull @ 2:00 between sets
200 ez

25s - 15,16,16,14 - 16,17,16,16
100IM - 1:20, 1:21,1:21,1:21 - 1:20,1:22,1:22,1:19
25IM - 16,17,19,15 - 17,17,20,16
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [habitman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally getting back on the train. Did 3x500y, with 100 easy in between, hit 6:15-6:20. Been a tough year, where I've been in the dumps because a double navicular stress fracture injury that has kept me from running the last nine months, but with the beginning of run rehab in sight, motivation has skyrocketed. 20 seconds faster per 500 than the same set a month ago! Time to get back down to 5x500 at 6:10 on :30 rest.
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Todays work in the pool:

5 x 100 @ 1:40
6 x 50 Alt. Kick /Drill @ 1:15
Main Set
400 Pull @ 6’ / 7'
4 x 50 Kick IM Order @ 1:20
300 Pull @ 4:30
3 x 50 Kick IM Order @ 1:20
200 Pull @ 3’
2 x 50 Kick IM Order @ 1:20
100 Pull @ 1:30
1 x 50 K Fly @ 1:20
2 x 100 @ 1:25
50 Cool Down
(2550m)
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
TheWaterIsOpen wrote:
Is anyone racing the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim this year? I am doing it again after missing it in 2011 due to US open water nats. I definitely recommend the event to any "fishies" out there

That is a great swim, well run, well organized. I have done it twice, two years in a row many years ago when I was in the DC area. How many times have you done it? First year I wore a surfing wetsuit... then next year I had a sleeveless. I'd like to do it again someday and totally crush my previous times... wouldn't be too hard ;-)

This will be my second time doing it. I won it back in 2010, still goes down as one of the best days/races of my life.

Stanford University Cardinal
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

Did you wear a wetsuit? Had you practiced in it leading up to the race? I don't know all the facts surrounding that swim, but here is a list of things that can cause cramps on the swim...

1.) Wetsuit tightness issues causing circulation problems.
2.) Not enough warmup
3.) Not used to swimming in wetsuit.
4.) You got excited about your faster swimming and went out too fast.
5.) Some kind of nutrition issue. (Usually lack of salt causes cramping. A gulp of salt water shouldn't be a problem.)
6.) And a new one from sweet_wtr: did you wear some funny shoes the day before?

Also, you gotta remember that you are out there pointing your toes for an hour -- sometimes in cold water -- with no walls and turns to break it up. Calf cramps can be pretty common.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting points, I'll do my best to answer.
1) The wetsuit wasn't too tight, I'm pretty confident about that.
2) There wasn't much of a warm up, but I did feel ready to go & pretty good from the gun - but the energy levels started to fade around 20 minutes in...
3) I have done a lot (LOT!) of wetsuit swimming over the years, but probably not enough over the past couple of years - so that is a good thing to take out of the race. More practice required...
4) Might be possible - It might be a good idea for me to do some more stand alone open water races next summer
5) I think this is a point. I don't think I started the day hydrated enough. I have had issues with salt water in the past though - I get numb lips & tongue, so more research required here...
6) Ha - no funny shoes for me.. :)

The pointing of the toes thing is interesting. I have had calf cramps when swimming recently - but mainly if I have done a bike or run session earlier in the day.

Funnily enough - I bumped into my old swim coach at about the 27k mark of the run - he lives 2 minutes from the run course & was tracking me (what a great guy - not bad for 70+!). I was really struggling at that point & we chatted for a couple of minutes. He swims in the open water all year round here in Melbourne (brrrr!!), so I hope to get out with his crew a lot more next spring/summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snow shovelling can give you sore shoulders... :-)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looked at the usms nationals roster, didn't see lance on there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he didn't want to get mobbed. A swim meet is a very open environment with a lot of down time.

Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 mile run
650 w/u
20 x 100 on 1:25
no time for c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
just letting you know that I have, again, not swum this month.

Didn't you swim a little a few weeks ago?

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, busted by my own peeps. Yep, a full 200.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keeping you honest since 2012-03-28.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Gotta be careful with that yard work. I often forget how being "in shape" is very specific to the swimming and biking I do and anything else like light yard work leaves me sore for days. Hope your back continues to feel better...

My back is a real mess. I have a sixth lumbar that is offset to the left a half-inch or so. As I'm aging and my spine is shrinking, it's knocking against something - probably my hip. Standing is becoming really uncomfortable. I much prefer sitting. Swimming feels great; Cycling isn't bad as I'm all hunched over relieving the pressure and surprisingly; Running is OK up to about 3 miles. It's getting to the point I need to do something about it - maybe getting that lumbar fused to my hip, like it's supposed to be (so I'm told).

The last two days were vacation days, hence decent yards thrown down. Now I'm back to the ~45 minute AM swim. Plus, I donated blood yesterday, so this AM was a quite relaxed pace...
4x[500s/100k]@:20RI
100bk cool

2500 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looked at the usms nationals roster, didn't see lance on there.//

I talked to him briefly a couple weeks ago, and he indeed wanted to swim masters nationals, and had made a plan to do so. But life happens and several other things came up he said, and that weekend of swimming went down the priority list. It was nothing sinister or the other dozens of theories that people come up with why isn't swimming. In fact, he seems a lot like me in that he just wants to race still, everything and anything. But i give it to him that his schedule is a bit busier than mine. I've even opted out of nationals this year too because of a scheduling conflict of one of our camps, which bums me out a bit, as i love going to that meet and swimming against most of the best guys in my AG, oh well always next year...
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam a lil bit again this morning.

Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
My back is a real mess. I have a sixth lumbar that is offset to the left a half-inch or so. As I'm aging and my spine is shrinking, it's knocking against something - probably my hip. Standing is becoming really uncomfortable. I much prefer sitting. Swimming feels great; Cycling isn't bad as I'm all hunched over relieving the pressure and surprisingly; Running is OK up to about 3 miles. It's getting to the point I need to do something about it - maybe getting that lumbar fused to my hip, like it's supposed to be (so I'm told).

Wish I could give actual advice that might help, but the best I can do is give my sympathy and commissary (and perhaps the trite advice to make sure you see the best Dr you can find). I just got an MRI last week in the hopes that my Dr would "clear" me to run a little. Haven't seen the Dr since getting the scans, but had a radiologist friend take a look and the same f**king disc that I've had surgery on twice 15 years ago has a small bulge and annulus tear. Looks like the bulge is minor and not impinging anything, but still! Fortunately I'm currently asymptomatic with biking and swimming and re-thinking whether changing things up would be a good idea.

WU: 400, 8x75 (kick,drill,swim), 300 kwf
Drills: 12x50 (odd 6-3-6 bk, even fr weak side breathing)
Main: 6 x { 50 fast, 25 easy, 25 all-out, 25 easy, 50 fast, 25 easy}
CD: 4x100 pull
3500 scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 x 200s/100k w/u
6 x 50 d/s by 25 @ :60 (~:40)
4 x 150 (descend 1-4) @ 2: 30 (2:07, 2:02, 1:58, 1:54)
6 x 50 (2 x fl/fr, ba/fr, br/fr by 25) @ :60 (~:40 br ~:45)
4 x 150 pull (breathe 3/5/5 by 50) @ 2:30 (2:04, 2:04, 2:06, 2:02)
6 x 50 alt kick @1:10 drill @ :60
4 x 150 fast @ 2:30 (1:54, 1:54, 1:56, 1:53)
200 w/d
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
looked at the usms nationals roster, didn't see lance on there.//

I talked to him briefly a couple weeks ago, and he indeed wanted to swim masters nationals, and had made a plan to do so. But life happens and several other things came up he said, and that weekend of swimming went down the priority list. It was nothing sinister or the other dozens of theories that people come up with why isn't swimming. In fact, he seems a lot like me in that he just wants to race still, everything and anything. But i give it to him that his schedule is a bit busier than mine. I've even opted out of nationals this year too because of a scheduling conflict of one of our camps, which bums me out a bit, as i love going to that meet and swimming against most of the best guys in my AG, oh well always next year...

Sure is a bummer when life happenings have other plans for us sometimes... hope it's all good things ;-) When things like that happen it makes the next event/meet even more sweet.

Smooth it out IM Day at the office (pool):

200 Free / 200 Drill / 200 Kick
4 x 100 IM @ 2’ (Drill / Kick by 100)
400 IM (EZ) @ 10" rest
50 EZ @ 1'
200 IM Build each 50 @ 10" rest
50 EZ @ 1'
100 IM Build each 25 @ 10" rest
50 EZ @ 1'
2 x 50 IM Fast @ 5" rest
50 EZ @ 1'
C/D
1 x 100 Bk/Fr @ 1:45
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [TheWaterIsOpen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWaterIsOpen wrote:
sweet_wtr wrote:
TheWaterIsOpen wrote:
Is anyone racing the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim this year? I am doing it again after missing it in 2011 due to US open water nats. I definitely recommend the event to any "fishies" out there

That is a great swim, well run, well organized. I have done it twice, two years in a row many years ago when I was in the DC area. How many times have you done it? First year I wore a surfing wetsuit... then next year I had a sleeveless. I'd like to do it again someday and totally crush my previous times... wouldn't be too hard ;-)

This will be my second time doing it. I won it back in 2010, still goes down as one of the best days/races of my life.

May the current be with you in 2012!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure is a bummer when life happenings have other plans for us sometimes... hope it's all good things ;-) When things like that happen it makes the next event/meet even more sweet. //

At my age now, i just take all the interuptions in stride now, and don't give them too much of my energy. Plenty of stuff going on, just move on to the next thing and focus on it. I never got to tell you good job on your meet, you put up some pretty hot times for that 35-39 AG. You will do very well at nationals with your abilities, but i will give you one bit of advice. There is a girl on my team in your AG who swims all the breast events, IM,s, and sometimes the 500 free. It looks like you might have a shot at national champion if you pick the right events, i would steer clear of her. This is just my assumption, as i always look and see what events i can do best in for my AG and go with those, one of the perks of being an IM'er. Her name is Cynthia Lewis in case you want to see what she does..Off the top of my head, 1;04/2;20 breast--59/2;09 IM's--5;09 500free...

Got a break from the camp today and got in a quick one at the high pool, still working back from my dark time;

500swim/200IM kick/400swim/150kick/300swim/100kick/200swim/50kick/100swim swim@1;25 base, kicks@2;00 base
6;41/5;16/3;55/2;35/1;14--kicks-3;40/2;37/1;45/52
3x(100p@1;20/1;25/1;30) 1;16 to 1;13's
250SD
3150SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sure is a bummer when life happenings have other plans for us sometimes... hope it's all good things ;-) When things like that happen it makes the next event/meet even more sweet. //

At my age now, i just take all the interuptions in stride now, and don't give them too much of my energy. Plenty of stuff going on, just move on to the next thing and focus on it. I never got to tell you good job on your meet, you put up some pretty hot times for that 35-39 AG. You will do very well at nationals with your abilities, but i will give you one bit of advice. There is a girl on my team in your AG who swims all the breast events, IM,s, and sometimes the 500 free. It looks like you might have a shot at national champion if you pick the right events, i would steer clear of her. This is just my assumption, as i always look and see what events i can do best in for my AG and go with those, one of the perks of being an IM'er. Her name is Cynthia Lewis in case you want to see what she does..Off the top of my head, 1;04/2;20 breast--59/2;09 IM's--5;09 500free...

Thanks Monty. My attitude on all this Tri/Swimming/Training stuff is that I'm just grateful to have it in my life! Trying not to take it all for granted and really see the fun and enjoyment in it. I looked up Cynthia Lewis, don't see her registered for Nationals, but she is all over the USMS Top Ten standings. Really impressive! Even thought she won't be there, I'll have some good competition at Nationals. We'll see how it all boils down. I'm looking forward to watching some seriously fast swimming and hoping to do some of that myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100 swim / 100 k x 2

100 Bk

3 x 8 x 25 @ 25 + 100 easy

4 x 25 fly/kick @30

50 easy

3 x 50 @ 90 2 fly strong, 1 easy

1700 scm

3 rd workout of the day...

Tomorrows menu:

ROOT CANAL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rough day at the 'office'

5.7 mi run
2300 yd swim

just didn't feel good. Tired and cranky.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: March ZWEMMEN (Fish Thread) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2300 yards also this AM, but no running. Gonna do a quick ride at lunch, though.

5x[200s/100k] no stop
5x100 alt IM/fr@1:45 IMs 1:20/:20/:13 fr 1:10/:08
300 s/k cool

Looks like I'll surpass January's distance. This'll make it tough for next year's resolution swim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next