Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute
Quote | Reply
Hey, so I need some company on people willing to give the Brute a try in March.

There are a few clubs that do this as 200 fly + 400IM + 1500/1650 free.

Since I am setting this challenge here is the format

200 fly - 1650/1500 free - 400IM

If you are doing it in a meter pool you do the 1500m free. If you are doing it in a yard pool you do it as 1650 free. I'll adjust times/leaderboard at end of month to adjust (we'll convert to scy equivalent)

• Brute = 200fly + 1650/1500 free + 400IM
  • Brute lite = 100 fly + 1000/800 free + 200IM
  • Try a Brute = 50 fly + 400 free + 100IM

My month of Feb was my worst swim month in 4 years due to training or Dubai70.3 and travel. So looking forward to doing some good intensity this month and just being more consistent as I have our masters provincials on deck.

I will do each event once per week.

Also the reason for putting the IM at the end is so that it ends in a drag race of all 4 strokes. I find the other format with the free in the end weird as the IM ends up being a "recovery leg" versus a full on "empty the tank" effort.
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dev, a couple things:

1. you're the only person in history to describe a 400 IM as a 'drag race'
2. It's a little unclear on the timing of the challenge. Do you do all 3 events in the same session, back to back to back with no rest, or just get them done at least once each during this month?

-----
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
dev, a couple things:

2. It's a little unclear on the timing of the challenge. Do you do all 3 events in the same session, back to back to back with no rest, or just get them done at least once each during this month?

I've seen this set before, but never done it. Pretty sure it's continuous.

I'm in (tomorrow evening). I'll plan to do one of each distance this month.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 2, 20 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
dev, a couple things:

Well 400IM is a "drag race" in the same way a sprint triathlon is...you're going as hard as you can in the context of a sustainable paced redline effort.

OK my intention is that you do each one (Brute, Brute Lite, Try a Brute) as a single standalone continuous effort, but each of the three (Brute, Brute Lite, Try a Brute) would be separate timed events,

I will start off today with Try a Brute and maybe Brute Lite.

yesterday I had swim meet where I did 50's in all four strokes, 100's in back, breast, fly and IM, 200Fly and 400IM. It was a club meet packed into 2 hours, so it was kind of continuous. As I had a cortisone shot 8 days ago, I promised my wife I would take it steady and as such, with the 400IM as the "last event" I was able to open it up a bit and record my 2nd fastest time every (which is not saying much). The 200 fly was the opening event which was a complete disaster after some hard XC skiing the day before and not being able to lift my arms after skiiing.

Jason, I will post my swim meet times in the virtual swim meet thread once they are officially announced. In some cases I was going from finishing one race to starting the next one in the next immediate heat. Mainly I was using the 50's and 100's to get the feel of what I thought I could sustain in the 400IM so I really want not going much faster than 200IM pace for any of them.

I also have our provincials coming in in 3 weeks and I have 800IM, 400IM, 200IM, 200 fly, 400 free and 1500 free on deck so this month of doing each brute version 1x per week should help.

Yesterday was the first 200 fly I did since November (when I last tried the brute) and I was just completely unfamiliar with my pacing and the pain.
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the full brute today

• 3:41 200 fly (only a second slower than racing this weekend with a slow suit and no dive....go figure)
  • 26:25 for the 1500 free....I think I paid for pushing the 200 fly and was carrying that lactate through the 1500 and I let up for the final 50m to rest of the 400IM
  • 7:43 for the 400IM (1:52, 1:59, 2:08, 1:44)

Final was only 37:49

find of dissappointed, but I have to start somewhere.

Mainly I was dissappointed with the 1500 free. I could not believe how slow I was going (53ish seconds in general per 100m on the wall clock at turns). I have been running more and I lost a bit of mass and I THINK I have a bit less floatation, plus my legs are tired, plus I did a lot of XC skiing this weekend and had a swim meet on Sunday. It can only get better.

Yesterday I did the Try a Brute as my "warmup build" but lost track of time. I'll post a time later this week for both the Brute Lite and tri a brute. Hopefully we can get a few of the fish intersted.

By end of next week, I'll do it with a race suit on.
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the end of a presentation, the presenter asks, "are there any questions?"
The cruel/assy CEO replies, "I have a question. That was horrible."

Anyway, I did not enjoy doing this, but will try again today.

I did 100fly + 500fr + 200IM w :30 rest between segments.

So I didn't really follow instructions. I liked it as a new kind of set, but mostly because the 500 FR felt the most like a (sprint) race situation I've ever felt in a pool. I can't quite figure out why -- the fly portion is pretty anaerobic for me?/the arm fatigue for fly is pretty high for me?

Anyway, back to it in a few hours...

Andrew Moss
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With an empty pool and my masters meet canceled I was lacking in motivation, so took a shot at the Brute today (short course yards). Overall did a 32:54, with a 3:08 200 fly, 6:10 400IM and 23:36 1650.

I did this is the Fall, but can’t remember my time, but do remember the feel of the 1650. For me this is tougher than a 3000 free, because after the fly and IM, it’s very hard to get in a nice freestyle rhythm.
Quote Reply
Re: March Swim Challenge: Brute/Brute Lite/Try a Brute [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before the pool closed I did the Brute Lite a few times.

My best was

100 fly 1:43
800 free 13:55
200IM 3:41

19:29

Provincials which are next weekend are cancelled.

I also did the try a brute as a warmup build....generally after a 200 free, a short rest then a 50 fly easy in 50 s, 400 free in 7:20 and then 100 fly in around 1:50 which gets me in at 10 min even as a "warmup build"
Quote Reply