Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon on new shoes of same model
Quote | Reply
Should I run a marathon on new shoes of the same model I am used to?

My current shoes have at least 500 miles /800km on them but a new pair arrived today and my marathon is this Sunday. I am wondering what would be best.

Model: Adidas Adizero Adios 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon on new shoes of same model [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be fine IMO. Ive done similar with Hoka Clifton 4. No issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many pairs of the this model have you owned previously and have you had any problems with them straight out of the box? Are blisters or other foot problems commonly an issue for you toward the end of a marathon? What sort of mileage do you usually get out of this model? What condition is your current pair in? Does your new pair feel appreciatively more comfortable?

If, like me, your shoes have never failed you in fit and comfort on numerous occasions previously, then why not go with new pair?

When I was doing a decent amount of running, I had neither hesitation nor problems with racing in perfectly new shoes of the same make and model, (usually Brooks Addiction), even in ultras. At the time, I was buying from 2 to 6 pairs of shoes at a time, so there was probably no greater difference in fit from one pair to another, than there was between two shoes of the same pair.

You still have the opportunity to wear your new pair for a few short runs this week, which may help with your decision on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon on new shoes of same model [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Satanellus, thanks and valid questions:

satanellus wrote:
How many pairs of the this model have you owned previously and have you had any problems with them straight out of the box? Are blisters or other foot problems commonly an issue for you toward the end of a marathon? What sort of mileage do you usually get out of this model? What condition is your current pair in? Does your new pair feel appreciatively more comfortable?

This will be my second pair only, can't remember any problems when used out of the box. Usually do not have any problem with blisters. I have now ran over 500miles on them but are unsure wether I can do another marahon on them. They look fine but I understand that doesn't say anything about the shoes...

satanellus wrote:
If, like me, your shoes have never failed you in fit and comfort on numerous occasions previously, then why not go with new pair?

I started my previous model straight after another marahon so was slowly building up volume again while this time I will go straight into a marathon (apart from some shorter runs this week) which makes me unsure of how I will react on the new pair.[/quote]

satanellus wrote:
When I was doing a decent amount of running, I had neither hesitation nor problems with racing in perfectly new shoes of the same make and model, (usually Brooks Addiction), even in ultras. At the time, I was buying from 2 to 6 pairs of shoes at a time, so there was probably no greater difference in fit from one pair to another, than there was between two shoes of the same pair.

You still have the opportunity to wear your new pair for a few short runs this week, which may help with your decision on the weekend.
Last edited by: Laurens4790: Sep 25, 19 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've done your long runs in training in this old pair presumably? Have those runs gone well? If you can take confidence from those runs then I'd go with the old pair. If possible doing nothing different on race day has to be the golden rule.

If you can't shake the thought that new ones would be better then you have to accept you are taking a risk. Even if there is no measurable difference between the old and new ones then the placebo effect is real and that may make if worth taking that risk. But it's still a risk.

If I had to run in new shoes for a big race then I think I'd use known good old insoles in them. Your main worry with new shoes is getting something that rubs and old good insoles would probably reduce some of that worry. I'd also go with my most cushioned socks that I've run long in with and stay away from any super thin race socks. Obviously what running you do between now and the race would be in the new shoes in that case.

But I'd still run in the old ones if I haven't got a good reason not to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would run in the new pair. Get a light training run in with them and if no issues wear them during the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If at all possible, I'd try to get in a few miles on them, just so everything settles in and they start to "bend" where they need to. Even a couple easy 5k runs should be enough.

I've done it before...no issues with a Saucony Ride, bad blister on my heel with a pair of Newtons. Not saying one brand or model is better than the other, just that your feet, humidity, hydration, the technical aspects of the course, etc might all conspire to make it a bad experience.

If nothing else, put them on and wear them around the house for a few days.

JMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:

My current shoes have at least 500 miles /800km on them but a new pair arrived today and my marathon is this Sunday. I am wondering what would be best.

I never put more than 500km on any shoe, so you get more miles per dollar than I do. I'd get a new pair of the same, enjoy the added bounce, and use the new ones for race day.

(Note: I put 35km on a new pair of Clifton 6s on Sunday-never used that model before, only its predecessors. No problems, but n = 1.)
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon on new shoes of same model [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. Here. I did a short run on the new ones yesterday and will also do today and then give them a go on the marathon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck! I ran a (PB) marathon a few years ago with just 5 or 10km on the new shoes (exact same model, just a new pair).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new shoes, definitely.

FWIW I also run in the Adios 4

E

Laurens4790 wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:

My current shoes have at least 500 miles /800km on them but a new pair arrived today and my marathon is this Sunday.

So what happened?

PR or are you hobbling around on bloody stubs where your feet used to be?
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon on new shoes of same model [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:
I would run in the new pair. Get a light training run in with them and if no issues wear them during the marathon.

Yup this.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon on new shoes of same model [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went for the new shoes, and ran 7 minutes off my PR :)

satanellus wrote:
Laurens4790 wrote:

My current shoes have at least 500 miles /800km on them but a new pair arrived today and my marathon is this Sunday.

So what happened?

PR or are you hobbling around on bloody stubs where your feet used to be?
Quote Reply