Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Recovery: How long until next run?
Quote | Reply
After running a marathon - approximately how long is suggested to rest before running again?

I take it swimming and biking would be slightly different again?

Thinking of starting the November challenge, but don't want to jump straight into that after a marathon...

Any input and experience appreciated,
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery: How long until next run? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 24 hours. Go for a VERY light jog of 10-12 minutes, or, better yet, a long walk at lunch. The critical thing is to do something to get the blood pumping. For me, I like the 25 minute walk.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually wait until any noticeable soreness is gone from my legs. Typically 3 - 5 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery: How long until next run? [TriJeffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - so 24hrs light run

then 3-5days I can resume a moderate level of running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 40 minute walk the day after my +28 miler, plus a little walking day 2 and 3, and now, 4 days post-race, my legs feel pretty good. I'll likely wait until the weekend to try any kind of running though.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to be a run, a walk is great too. I usually give it a week+ before I think about structured running of any kind. It does depend on your experience too and the type of course you ran. Give a full out effort on something like the Boston course and your looking at a couple of weeks for things to get back to normal!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery: How long until next run? [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - well it's 3 days since mthon, and legs still feel pretty cheesy, i'll probably try a slow jog or something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try aqua jogging or ride a spin bike. That has always worked for me. Basically something to get the legs moving, but no impact.

Did you get a post race massage yet? those helped me out big time!

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a massage as soon as possible, do some swimming and walking each day for the next few days and you can be running again within the same week.

I did two Marathons a week apart and had a reasonable performance at both.

I also did MdS but no opportunity for massage or swimming there! At the end of each section I would elevate my legs for 20 minutes then go for a walk and that would get me ready for the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the individual but generally 2-5 days before running again. Easy walks are very good advice. When you start running keep it easy for a couple weeks and on soft surfaces if possible. If your legs have unusual aches and pains then err on the side of caution.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Recovery: How long until next run? [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great thanks - this is the info I was looking for

Many thanks ST'ers
Quote Reply