Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Des Sables?
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there done the Marathon Des Sables (race across the Moroccan Desert). Good friend of mine is doing his second one and I want to give him a send off gift.

Looking for suggestions.

fal7
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Des Sables? [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some guy named Tom Demerly has 'been there, done that". I understand he lurks (and every so long-time-between, once-in-awhile, posts something) on this forum. Maybe you can get his thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Des Sables? [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'll catch sh&* for this but I will say the Marathon Des Sables is one of the truly great races. I loved it. I also did Desert Cup. It's an ultimate IMHO. If he doesn't already have them "mini gaiters" are important, you can buy them on altrec.com. they are little, lightweight stretch gaiters advertised in trailrunner magazine. Another idea might be the GoLite Bark litweight shell jacket on sale now at sierratradingpost.com The sand color is good camouflage if you get lost in Algeria (very bad for Americans). Super light and nice to wear in the evenings and morning at the bivouac and on the long 50 mile day. Super lightweight LED headlight is another nice idea. That sislicone stuff you put on your feet rules also.... what's the name of that? Hydropel. Works awesome. Search online under hydropel. Also, check out Golite's, Moletracks and Gregory's new adventure racing packs. They are all nice choices for MDS. Man, everyone should try that race once. It is a super-epic.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply