Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mapping out my 2019 schedule
Quote | Reply
The question is - will I completely burn out? Background - M45, generally a MOP/BOFOP, running is the strength, although the bike is getting there. Been racing for 10 years, 4 IMs completed. No real major injuries. Kids are in HS/heading to college, wife's onboard.

The plan is as follows, after taking December off:

02/23 - a local sprint
03/08 - a local oly
05/04 - Utah 70.3
06/09 - IM Boulder
The rest of June off, resume training after the 4th of July
07/27 - Santa Rosa 70.3 - this might not happen depending on the family plans for the summer vacay.
After that shift into running only for the Berlin marathon - assuming that I get in
Mid September - Berlin 2019
Swimming only until 10/01
A 6 week build for IMAZ
11/17 - IMAZ
The rest of the year - getting fat.

Thoughts?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Mapping out my 2019 schedule [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That June-long mid-season break will help, but I think what is key is whether any of those races are C races or more for fun/destination than the race. If you work to go as fast as possible at all 5 longer distance ones then you'll probably burn out. But hey, everyone's different, some people can do this shit all year long with no break and be fine, some people (like my wife) can do one race and be burnt out!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your schedule is very doable.
It is too long a season of balancing work and family, vacation, becomes too much. You get to decide that 😜

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't see the point of racing Santa Rosa 70.3

Post Ironman, 3 week break followed by minimal prep, you will not be in peak condition. Plus it doesn't appear to be a lead up race for anything.

Better to ease back into training (post Ironman) without the pressure of an upcoming race. Also takes pressure off the family trying to organise vacations around your race schedule.

Otherwise, looks good to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this plan...the build up in the spring looks fine, and the summer race is a good goal to bridge to the Berlin prep or two the fall IM if you do not get in. The Santa Rosa race could be a fun weekend in wine country so not just a race and would help you get back into the training groove after Boulder.

If you do not get into Berlin, I would look at moving skipping Santa Rosa and doing one or two Oly/70.3s in the build up to IMAZ in Aug/Sept/Early Oct. That would allow a good transition period after Boulder (to both recharge the mental and physical batteries, and do the family stuff, etc.).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with others that the Santa Rosa 70.3 doesn't support the rest of your season as it's laid out.

Also, you're going to have to make a choice between an optimal marathon build or an optimal IMAZ build. In either case, I'd go heavy on swimming and running post IM Boulder, as that strategy will support either a good marathon or a good fall IM.

Finally, I wouldn't take the entire month of June totally off, but get back in the pool as soon as possible.

alex_korr wrote:
The question is - will I completely burn out? Background - M45, generally a MOP/BOFOP, running is the strength, although the bike is getting there. Been racing for 10 years, 4 IMs completed. No real major injuries. Kids are in HS/heading to college, wife's onboard.

The plan is as follows, after taking December off:

02/23 - a local sprint
03/08 - a local oly
05/04 - Utah 70.3
06/09 - IM Boulder
The rest of June off, resume training after the 4th of July
07/27 - Santa Rosa 70.3 - this might not happen depending on the family plans for the summer vacay.
After that shift into running only for the Berlin marathon - assuming that I get in
Mid September - Berlin 2019
Swimming only until 10/01
A 6 week build for IMAZ
11/17 - IMAZ
The rest of the year - getting fat.

Thoughts?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply