Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mapping a long long long ride
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I'm planning a 1,200km+ ride with some friends. I've mapped the ride on Komoot and Ride GPS with quite different results despite the remote location (North Bay Ontario to James Bay on the Quebec side) and limited roads.

Does anyone have experience with using both planning tools and how they compare?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Mapping a long long long ride [omatari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What device are you using for actual navigation?

I don’t have experience with either of the software route builders you mentioned but in my experience it is best to build multiple smaller routes instead of building one large file. This seems even more important using more “conventional” devices like handlebar Garmin, Wahoo, etc navigation units.

Look into the Garmin Etrex series for navigating long remote routes, they have much less fitness integration, ie they will not give you power metrics, cadence, heart rate, or sync as easily to sites like strava, but they are much more functional for actual navigation.
Last edited by: talking head: Jul 15, 20 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Mapping a long long long ride [omatari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have limited experience w/ Komoot and just stopped using it since Strava, Trailforks & RidewithGPS integrate really well with the Garmin products I use for navigation (Oregon 450 & Edge 1030). I wanted an Etrex30 after loosing my 20 but wife got me the Oregon for my birthday so...

None of the apps are great at picking out "private" roads which are all over the place in Colorado so I don't just let them connect from point A to B if that's what you're asking.
Quote Reply