Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose
Quote | Reply
Let's say I was going to try to make up a home brew sports drink and I wanted to get the 2:1 glucose to fructose ratio. For the "glucose" part would you use all maltodextrin, or a mix of maltodextrin and dextrose? If a mix, in what ratio?
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I make homebrew drink for training I just use Maltodextrin, lava salts and some flavoring....20 grams every 20' on the bike and 15 grams every 20' on the run.

Why do you want to use Fructose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm type 1 diabetic. There's a small difference between how fast your body uptakes those carbs. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you use the same stuff in training as you do in a race.

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go simple:

Long: 1 part gatorade and 1 part malto + some salt
Short: 2 part gatorade and 1 part malto
High Octane Race fuel: 1-2 tablespoons of malto per 10oz of flat coke

I would forgo the fructose. There is evidence that the it does provide an alternate pathway for the absorption/creation of blood glucose but IMO not worth the complexity of mixing it up. I have tried several forms of protein powders into my mixed drinks but didn't notice much of a performance gain or "feel" from the drink.... plus it had a bad habit of spoiling my bottles if I forgot to clean them promptly.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Adding fructose to glucose seems to raise absorption rates.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im not sue if you are joking or confused, but the main carb in gatorade is high fructose corn syrup which is fructose... same with coke.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
In Reply To:

Adding fructose to glucose seems to raise absorption rates.

It doesn't just seem to, but has been shown to raise them by close to 50%

Malto clears the stomach faster than the simple sugars, but then sits in the intestines where it is broken down in to glucose. So it doesn't even hit the bloodstream any faster than glucose as the limiting step is the absorption through the intestine. You have transporters in your intestine for both glucose and fructose, which is why absorption of a combination of glucose/fructose is faster.

Ideally use a 25% fructose ratio, and you don't need both malto and dextrose.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [Cheddar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im not sue if you are joking or confused, but the main carb in gatorade is high fructose corn syrup which is fructose... same with coke.

This is true for the bottled Gatorade. It might be true for liquid concentrate (I'm not sure to be honest). Not so with powdered Gatorade that you mix yourself.

Bernie

Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscratch that gatorade got rid of hfcs, but used sugar which is still part fructose.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a really good video from First Endurance that explains alot of that. http://tinyurl.com/42vk6n4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Long: 1 part gatorade and 1 part malto + some salt
Short: 2 part gatorade and 1 part malto
High Octane Race fuel: 1-2 tablespoons of malto per 10oz of flat coke

I like this a lot.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry to much about absorption rates between simple sugars like those. The only big difference in absorption rates is between simple sugars (Lactose, maltose, fructose, glucose) and complex carbohydrates. It all gets converted to either glycogen, lactate, or ATP anyway, it just takes longer for complex carbs, such as starches, to get converted over to ATP, glycogen, or lactate.
Simple gatorade mixture will suffice.

He not busy being born is busy dying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First two ingredients are sucrose and dextrose on my container of gatorade. No HFCS mentioned. I think you are the one who is confused.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he is not confused, just out of date - according to wikipedia (so it must be true), Gatorade switched from HFCS to sucrose/dextrose in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [doug_steel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only use the gatorade powder. As far as I know the powder has always been Sucrose/Dextrose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd probably be better off with HFCS since it has both glucose and fructose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they changed I've been taking Gatorade seriously again.

Still need to put myself under enough stress to see if it will upset my stomach or not.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually HFCS is about 55% Fructose and 45% Glucose.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all intents Sucrose is the same as HCFS. The only difference between the two is that sucrose is fructose&glucose chemically bonded in a 1:1 and your stomach has to cleave the molecules apart to use them where HFCS is simply a mixture of the two molecules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know but I always find it amusing that HFCS is demonized as somehow unhealthy and evil.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, and Fructose [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
I know but I always find it amusing that HFCS is demonized as somehow unhealthy and evil.

Isn't the 'evil' in HFCS the fact that it has invaded many foods that haven't traditionally been high in sugars? It's cheap enough that it can be dumped into products as a flavor enhancer, yes? Honest questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeukendup himself has said that homemade versions of his formulas will be as effective as commercial versions based on his research. I remember three versions of his formula that he wrote about in a journal a year or so ago. I downloaded the article, but I'm not at home so can't post the link. Seemed pretty easy to make, depending on how much you wanted to pay for your fructose. Google "AJ home brew" for some MTBers who were making their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just forget the fructose- does not help that much- if your gut is going to have a problem with anything it will likely be fructose.
Just use straight maltodextin- or mix maltodextrin with a sports drink like 1st endurance EFS. My favorite brew is 1 scoop EFS and then half a scoop of maltodextrin.
Quote Reply