Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mallorca entries?
Quote | Reply
I just got an AWA entry for Mallorca - I'm sure many of you did too. It's for 15 May 2021. Isn't Spain in bad shape now with covid?

I'd love to go but it's too big a risk.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a risk yes... we all want to race sooner than later but given the current situation.. there are lots of unknowns.

I registered (ok, last minute :-) ) for IM Portugal 7nov which was cancelled.. It seems the plane tickets are lost and we took a 50% hit on the Airbnb. Of course.. we knew that up front.. But i'm hesitant now to repeat that for Mallorca 2021 even though I think it should be a great race (the 2018 70.3 sure was epic). All in all, its 500 euro's which isnt the world but its not pleasant. I don't mind training for an IM that might get cancelled,, it's just the financial hit for me that keeps me from registering.

the mind says: wait until sept/okt 2021 for barcelona/portugal/...
the heart says: take a chance and race in spring

:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved my IM Portugal 2020 voucher to IM Mallorca because there are other races available in Europe where I can race. Infact other races are in August but I also have IM Italy in September and IM Kona 3 weeks later. I hope that if Mallorca will cancelled I can have a new voucher or a deferral to IM Mallorca 2022.
I think that IRONMAN have to consider the pandemic situation and don't have to be too optimistic yet
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't even know this race existed, looks amazing. Will add it to my overflowing bucket list of events to do someday. But also . . . IM Italy and Kona 3wks apart? Sounds insane.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I didn't even know this race existed, looks amazing. Will add it to my overflowing bucket list of events to do someday. But also . . . IM Italy and Kona 3wks apart? Sounds insane.

IM Italy will be a long workout for Kona, obviuosly without find any result or time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you end up signing up for Mallorca? I'm considering it, but just unsure if mid May is not likely to go ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered for Lanzarote later in May, but at the moment I don't see either race happening. Spain is discussing a touristic travel ban until large parts of the population have been vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [sevenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, didn't see that.
Surely their economy can't handle that. They are so reliant on tourism, the economy would be absolutely devastated. (More so than already!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A non-branded alternative in September... I've signed up

https://www.mallorca140-6triathlon.com/the-event

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on Mallorca and I would be 95% sure this event will not go ahead on the current date.
Quote Reply
Re: Mallorca entries? [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay thanks for the insight. In that case, I will definitely hold off registering.
How are things over there? Do you think they will be banning all tourists till after the summer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
......they can’t afford to stop tourism 100% even after making a big mistake last summer by throwing open the doors, when they should have kept them slammed shut.

More tourists = more COVID is the sad reality for the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply