Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Malibu Half Ironman, new race!
Quote | Reply
For all of those people wishing for another SoCal long distance race, Malibu just announced the addition of a Half Ironman distance race to their race weekend on September 14th. Looks like a great bike course, out and back along the PCH with a small inland (flat) loop. Run course looks to be two laps of the Olympic course. Should be a great addition to the race calendar http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/...-course-information/

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really think that MESP will be able to cone off the entire lane all the way to Los Posas in both directions? It is a one lane highway between the Rock and that exit... might be a no passing zone all the way which would suck.

It is also worth noting that the Olympic distance event will be run on the same day - ie the bike course might be very crowded til the turnaround near Neptune's net.

The run course has a fair number of sharp turns - so with 2 loops it will be interesting.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll wait until WTC buys it.😜
I have to decide between this and Santa Cruz.
It will be crowded!
I do like having a half that I can stay at home and do. I loved the old Mike and Rob’s Most Excellent Tri.
Anyone know what Rob is doing? A great guy! I was a club member then he had the Fleet Feet in Ventura.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was actually interesting, but then I saw the price. Egads.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
This was actually interesting, but then I saw the price. Egads.

275 is good starter. Don't like the price jumps
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, the jumps are large. Starting price acceptable, but it should last longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did they do for the Oly? That goes to Deer Creek and the rock ain't much farther than that. It would be the same closure as that I'd suspect
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the Oly the turnaround is between Deer Creek and the Sycamore campground. The half goes all the way to Los Posas - that's the narrowest part of the PCH.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
For the Oly the turnaround is between Deer Creek and the Sycamore campground. The half goes all the way to Los Posas - that's the narrowest part of the PCH.

Actually, PCH is wider post Sycamore to the rock then narrow again after the rock. It really goes two land with some shoulder at neptunes. But it is all two lane, just depends on what the shoulder looks like.

Again, whatever they did in the oly is what they'll do in the half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't cone off PCH for Santa Cruz, maybe they don't cone off past Deer Creek. By that point, there shouldn't be large packs and the road isn't that bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is sycamore to big sycamore, north of deer creek, paved? from PCH to las posas road? goes thru pt mugu state park?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
is sycamore to big sycamore, north of deer creek, paved? from PCH to las posas road? goes thru pt mugu state park?

When you turn off of PCH and into Sycamore Canyon park you've got ~250m of pavement within the camping area and then it becomes a gravel road for ~4.5 miles Now, it's a pretty smooth gravel road (just a few rocky Arizona crossings) from just off PCH to what's called Danielson Ranch (park ranger's house, picnic area, corrals where horses can be rested, etc). At Danielson it becomes paved and goes ~3.5 miles still in the park, 'til it meets Potrero Road - and there's a legit climb out of the end of the cayon within that 3.5 miles of pavement.

This is the gravel bit here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7334623

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jan 18, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a trail - so nope....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

alex_korr, it seems like you might be hurting a bit today. I've been there, it's a bummer. Hang in there, it gets better. And to help it get better I hope to alleviate some of your concerns.

Quote:
It is a one lane highway between the Rock and that exit
I know you meant two lane highway and that's from Yerba Buena Rd all the way to Calleguas Creek road, which is before Las Posas in Oxnard. That's 14km of paved, two lane highway. Really good, smooth paved surface and, since there's population is less dense there's little litter over this section and very broken glass. That's a great stretch of road in fact it's my preferred course for a real-world, outdoor FTP test.

Quote:
It is also worth noting that the Olympic distance event will be run on the same day - ie the bike course might be very crowded til the turnaround near Neptune's net
Could be crowded at times, but since both races are limited ~900 for Olympic and only 800 for the Long Course that's not an inordinate group of people. And of course they won't all mount the bike at once. There's different swim distances, with waves of athletes starting at different times. And the only narrow bit where there might be doubling up of Oly & LC riders will be the 1.6 miles of shoulder from Neptune's Net to the actual Olympic turn-around that is just a bit beyond Deer Creek. That shoulder's pretty wide. I also anticipate zero risk on the return since the Olympic riders will likely all be done by the time the long coursers come back from the ag fields of Oxnard.

Quote:
The half goes all the way to Los Posas - that's the narrowest part of the PCH.
I can't agree with this, there's miles of wide, smooth shoulder there with only a few, short bits of narrow (like the short segments of K Rail that keeps the rocks from falling into lanes . There are hundreds of roadies and triathletes riding that segment every week....when there's no race, no signage, no police presence. I noticed last week that work is being done on the shoulder of that sand hill that folks climb, the one just past Sycamore Canyon. I think Cal Trans is widening that too since so many folks pull off there and get stuck in the sand.

It's a trail - so nope....
Probably a semantic discussion like the difference between a stream, a brook, a creek, and a river. I think of a trail as narrow, prolly single track. I think of a dirt road as wider than a trail. Sycamore has a hella wide road in the bottom of it, but you're right there are some GREAT trails in Sycamore Canyon for hiking, trail running and some that are legal for mtb and gravel bikes. There's a super cool Strava based event in the summer called the Santa Monica Mountains Challenge. Basically it's 15 road climbs 15 mtb climbs, 15 gravel climbs, and 15 trail run climbs between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I think 9 of them are in Sycamore Canyon. If you live in the area check it out, it's free, and it's a fun way to explore new areas that are just a bit outside our typical routes.

Sincerely, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone signed up to far? I am passing, gonna do the Olympic event though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I are in for the long course. New to the area (Santa Clarita). Should be nice to have a half that is close. I hope it doesn't fall through like Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Awesome to see you doing so well. I am confident that like every race, this will not be perfect, but equally confident you and your team will take care of the details to make it a quality event :-)
I have a couple detail questions-
- the bike course appears to have a second, small loop, on Wood Road- is that correct?
- how many no passing zones will there be, and what length?
- What portions of PCH between Las Posas and Zuma will be open to traffic? With the Olympic Course, PCH has always been a bit dicey with cyclists and traffic for about a mile north of the turn around, as traffic gets backed up by the race bottleneck and drivers are making lots of no look blind u-turns :-)
PM if you are interested in any input on this :-)

Brian Smallwood
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

It's been a while I hope all is good.

This is NOT my race. I do some contract work for the RD, mainly speaking to the teams that come and raise money for the CHLA charity and some ocean swim clinics before the event. Right now I know as much as you do about the Long Course from looking at the maps - and to that end...

- I see what you're saying about the loop on Wood Road itself. I didn't realize that before (and had to study the Strava map to see it). So it looks like we turn onto Wood at ~mi 21, head north on Wood for ~4miles, then we make a u-turn and go back on Wood for ~2mi, make another u-turn and then continue on to 5th to finish the big, flat loop in the ag fields of Oxnard. Wood Rood's a two laner so that's gonna be a full closure to traffic for sure.

- I don't know about any no passing zones on that bit but I'm seeing the RD on Thursday and I'll see if I can get a clear answer.

- I can only assume that PCH will be open to traffic all day as has been the case in the past with the Oly distance - the only back up is when the Oly distance makes a u-turn near Deer Creek. The half course (since it uses the Las Posas overpass) doesn't interrupt traffic on PCH at all.

If I learn more next week I'll get back to you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- I can only assume that PCH will be open to traffic all day as has been the case in the past with the Oly distance - the only back up is when the Oly distance makes a u-turn near Deer Creek. The half course (since it uses the Las Posas overpass) doesn't interrupt traffic on PCH at all.

If I learn more next week I'll get back to you.

Ian[/quote]
Regarding the U-turn near Deer Creek, I have ridden out to that point (from Camarillo) every year that they have had the Olympic, and it has always been a CRAZY mess, with cars backed up all the way to Sycamore Canyon, and many impatient drivers swinging illegal u-turns, it is very sketchy for bikes in the section between Sycamore and the U-turn. I can’t imagine this will be better when you add 800-900 riders to the mix. This needs to be well thought out :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Yea, the jumps are large. Starting price acceptable, but it should last longer.

Agreed...

And the prices for the oly are mind boggling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian - have you been able to get some info from MESP re: the course? The main point of concern is the closure of the lanes by the Thornhill Broome campground - does not look like it will re-open before September and it is a really tight spot with only 1 lane in each direction and the bike/pedestrian pass being extremely narrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to pre-ride the course on Sunday. Some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the entire stretch between Leo Carillo campground and Sycamore Canyon campground has been repaved. The pavement is super smooth and fast.

The bad news is that the road closure between Sycamore Canyon and Thornhill Broome is still restricted to 1 lane in each direction. There is a pretty wide lane on the southbound side of the road that can be utilized but the northbound stretch is narrow and will definitely be a bottleneck. The other bad news is that Wood Road has some very bumpy stretches - have to ride it very carefully in some spots.

Also the wind is always a factor - usually the inbound stretch is all into the wind. Save your legs for the return, especially for the stretch between Los Posas and the Rock.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried looking the project up (interestingly it’s to address sea level rise) to see when it’s supposed to end but didn’t find it. I would sign up for the half but for this issue .....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drove home from a funeral in Santa Barbara via PCH yesterday. All of the large equipment is gone and there are k rails on the dune side only now. Looked like 4 lanes wide now although two were still coned off to traffic, but all new pavement on the ocean side so looks like it will be in good condition a month from now
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Half Ironman, new race! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Thanks for the update!

Quote Reply

Prev Next