Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I just got my Kickr and have been so excited to get it going, however, right off the bat I noticed what I hoped would not be a problem.

I did the factory spin down, and fully calibrated everything and my first ride on Zwift, I was putting out AWESOME power, a little too awesome. After several rides of putting out sprinting numbers I had never seen before and holding wattage that seemed a bit out of the ball park I decided to test it against my tried and true Pioneer duel sided power meter. I ran the two at the same time and collected it. I attached the pictures below of the activities so you can see the power differences. The graphs track just about the same, but you will see that the average power was different by about 100 watts, and sprints and higher wattage sections were up to 300 watts higher on the kickr. I realize that I can train just using my Pioneer as the master, and go by that, but my hope was to have a tool I could use any bike with. I was expecting it to be slightly different, and if it was say, 20 watts different across the board, I would be more than fine, but 100-300 makes for completely in accurate training.

So, the question is, what do I do. Has anyone had any similar experience with this?

http://tinypic.com/r/206yc7d/9
http://tinypic.com/r/kf1fly/9

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Last edited by: Hennessyr: Jan 5, 19 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Kickr (2015) and two Pioneer dual sided PM's (road bike and cross bike) and have not experienced this. I have a dedicated trainer bike and don't typically use either Pioneer bike on the Kickr, but last time I checked, my Kickr was a few percent (~2-3%) lower than my Pioneers.

Know anyone with a Powertap wheel? It's an easy way to cross-check your Pioneer in case that might be the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer [Carolina-Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know anyone with a wheel, the reason I air on the side of the kickr being off is my all of a sudden ability to sprint at 1500 watts, and hold 450 for 20 minutes.

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update firmware, etc.

I run a slightly older wheel on smart trainer and just use garmin vector 3 pedals for my trainer power metering. The vectors are a proven entity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little variance is normal. And not a big deal if it’s consistent. Those numbers indicate something else. Unless your real FTP is 360.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my feeling as well. And trust me, I would love that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
I dont know anyone with a wheel, the reason I air on the side of the kickr being off is my all of a sudden ability to sprint at 1500 watts, and hold 450 for 20 minutes.

Time to do some racing on Zwift :)
450 for 20 makes you a solid cat B there
Last edited by: ridenfish39: Jan 5, 19 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Major Power difference between Kickr and Pioneer [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I know right? I got a solid 3rd in a race before I realized how off it was.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, enjoy it! You can now compete with all the weight-dopers! :-D

As others suggested, update firmware, recalibrate again. If that doesn't work, get in touch with Wahoo as it sounds like something is defective. Actually, since it is brand new you might want to just return it if you bought local. Too expensive of a unit to have to deal with issues from the start. And I've found it to really be a bomb-proof unit and have not had a single issue (3+ years, probably 4-5 hours average a week on it year round).
Last edited by: Carolina-Mike: Jan 5, 19 7:09
Quote Reply