Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Major Kudos to Chuck's Bikes
Quote | Reply
We often here when someone has a problem, but I have to let you all know about the incredible customer service I received from Chuck. Last night, while cleaning/inspecting my Tsunami tri bike, I was horrified to find a 1/2 crack in the front top of the head tube. This bike was 9 months old and only had about 800 miles on it. I emailed and phoned Chuck late at night, then followed up with a phone call Sunday AM. No questions asked, he said it was under warranty, and he would send a replacement tomorrow morning. I promised to ship the frame back Monday and email him the tracking number. I have heard many stories of people who paid a lot more than I did and got excuses or delays. If anyone was thinking of buying from Chuck, but was worried about after the sale issues on a web order, I can assure you that if you deal with Chuck's you'll be happy and you won't spend a fortune. Sorry for being so long, I just had to tell this to you all.

Chris

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Major Kudos to Chuck's Bikes [chris in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Wheeler Ti frame from Chuck and have not had problems with it (it hasn't been built up and ridden yet) but the service over the phone and speed at which it arrived was great. It was my first internet purchase of anything substantial and I would recommend checking out some of the deals Chuck has.
Quote Reply
Re: Major Kudos to Chuck's Bikes [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was leery of the super low prices and one-man operation, but went ahead and bought another bike I did not need, but wanted from Chuck. It is a Martec Superbike, one-piece CF frame, sold by BP Stealth. He sold the entire bike, with 105 (and a few clunky parts), for about $700 less than I could have got it ANYWHERE. Downside of the bike-kit was no choice in crank, stem, or handlebar size/length. He was very gracious and helpful on the phone. Nice to hear he stands by his one-yr warranty. I tell people about the site all the time. Nearly a yr later, the bike is still fine.

Question--was it an aluminum frame that cracked? I was lusting after the 3-person Tsunami frame for my family, so I am abit worried now.....
Quote Reply
Re: Major Kudos to Chuck's Bikes [cyclothymic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it was aluminium, but as I said earlier, Chuck had absolutely no problem with it being under warranty, and even let me change to titanium for an incredible deal. I could have just gotten a replacement for no charge, but the chance to "upgrade" to Ti for about what I pay for a pair of running shoes was way too good to pass up. I have a co-worker who bought the exact same tri bike as me from Chuck on the same shipment. He has had zero problems, so I am willing to bet it's a fluke that mine cracked. I really wanted to get the Martec, but the only size was a 56, which is a little too large for me. I'm about 5'9" with a 31 inseam, so I figured the Martec would be too big.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the 59 cm Martec, I'm 6 ' with 33" inseam, but long torso, and it fits perfectly. Frame is heavy--4lbs 4oz.--esp for carbon, but very aero, stiff, stable and comfy. Came with a very beefy and aero carbon fork painted to match frame. Glad to know chuck did right by you. i re-checked the site--the 3 person Tsunami bike is chrome-moly anyway.

Let us know how you like the Ti Tsunami--did you get the one with carbon stays?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only ever ordered parts from Chuck's but took my basic alu C'Dale from so-so road machine to a fun to ride machine.

Tsunami is Chuck's own brand, but if you look at the bullhorns he sells you'll find a small "syntace" stamp on the bar on the bottom side.

Old story, but there are a handful of manufacturers putting out the products we know and love with one retailers name on it, but you pay a price. If you can find it at Chuck's you are getting top-shelf stuff.

When I finally do go and buy a new Tri Bike, it will be at Chucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Props to Chuck from here as well. My husband buys LOTS of bikes from Chuck and builds them up for mostly newbie triathletes, but also some seasoned folks. Chuck has always delievered fast service, and made good if anything needed to be reshipped for whatever reason. We also bought a Wheeler aluminum tri bike from Chuck that my husband is really enjoying as well. No tri bikes for me, though, I'm way too happy with my 5200, and am not good enough to get more from a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Wheeler Ti triathlon frame (78 degree seat tube) to replace the Tsunami tri frame. I really plan on getting the Tsunami ti frame to replace my road bike frame (73 degree seat tube) this summer. Fortunately I've had the opportunity to get information on this site and on TNO from a couple of folks that have the same frame and apparently it's top quality. I really have nothing but good things to say about his shop. While you may not be able to buy 2003 Dura-Ace from him, he give honest descriptions of what he has, and stands behind what he sells. In my book, he's right up there with Tom D. and a few others for honesty and customer service.

P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering a bp stealth and noticed your dimensions of 6' x 33" inseam which is close to my 6' x 32 1/4" inseam. My question is using sizing charts i should only be ~ 5' 8" - 5' 8 3/4" tall, based on your fit on the 59 cm do you have enough room to get the seat height up high enough in relation to the bars? I have the problem of having 56 cm frame legs and a 58 cm upper body, or so I think based on a little over a year of Tri/biking experience. Would I be better off on the medium (56 cm) frame for my leg length and a longer stem for my longer torso without getting too far out over the front end??
Quote Reply
Re: Major Kudos to Chuck's Bikes [woodenshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you considering the Martec "superbike" on Chuck's site or the pricey BP Stealth? Same bike, different paint and price. I think the 59 cm is for you. I use a 13 cm stem, saddle height is perfect. I also have a long torso, and like to be stretched out to boot. You could always phone Chuck and ask his opinion. I just think the 56 cm would have too short an effective tob-tube length, especially if you want to move the saddle forward for TT/triathlon. I use mine just for road riding, no aero bars. I do like the bike, and the price was great. God luck, hpe this helps.
Quote Reply