Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Made a tire mistake, maybe
Quote | Reply
I bought a track tubular I thought was for outdoor tracks and had a puncture piece like a road tire. Nope.

Vittoria Pista. Not the “pista speed”.

It’s glued. Ughh. I bought it due to width being nice. I tested it to have a CRR in a 19mm better than a 23mm GP5000 latex clincher.

Can this thing survive one 10’er? Toss some pitstop in it for the one race then toss it in the trash?

This is my low yaw low wind day wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Made a tire mistake, maybe [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're taking a big gamble if it is an important race to you. People use the pista as a spare to carry in races as it folds up so small so I'd keep it for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a mistake yet. :) Racing on it would be. That tire has no puncture resistance belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I bought a track tubular I thought was for outdoor tracks and had a puncture piece like a road tire. Nope.
Some outdoor road tires lack puncture-protection belts, and while most high-end racing tires have them, they're frequently so flimsy that they're basically just decoration to add to the catalog. Beefy protection layers are slow.
Of course, on a tire with thin tread built for indoor velodrome use, you've got compounding issues.

Really it depends on the roads and conditions. Different places have different road gunk. The tires on my touring bike have no protection layer, and I had to fix two punctures before I swapped the rear out from wear at ~2000 miles: they happened on consecutive days, while going through goathead territory.

You'd certainly be taking a risk. As Shambolic indicated, you could hang onto it as a compact spare.
Quote Reply
Re: Made a tire mistake, maybe [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

It’s an HED 3c. I’ve also got a HED 6+ with GP5000 and latex to use. No 90mm though.

Meh. I know the answer long term. It involves money and Ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't be the first to gamble on track tires on the road. It's been done, for sure. Odds are, you'd get through it. But I don't think it'd be worth it if you're only doing it once. It's much easier to sell a never-used track tubby than one you "just raced once...on the road." Previously glued is fine, as long as you're careful with the fabric backing. Trackies pretty commonly re-glue tubulars depending on indoor/outdoor track, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 20 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Vittoria Pista.

The Pista clincher does fine on the road IME, so... ya. Pitstop? Nope. Weird how people think that "anti-puncture belt" really does much. TT right, so you don't have to ride in the crap on the shoulder? Technical course? Chance of rain?

I'd be wondering if the Pista Speed is an even better choice in decent conditions...;)
Quote Reply
Re: Made a tire mistake, maybe [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have run this tire on the road with some of our pro teams and it is very, vary fast... it's probably the fastest tire you can put on a Hed 3 at this point in time. Taking the risk is up to you, the problem with these situations is that you can most likely race that thing for a whole season without an issue, but that one time you have an issue and it feels like negligence and that you 'should have known better'.. I spend my life trying to help people make these decisions!!

Anyway, we've tested Orange Seal to be very effective in Vittoria's at sealing holes and cuts up to about 2.5mm if that helps your decision. It will shorten the life of the tire overall as it will dry out in a few months, but if you're considering ripping it off the wheel anyway, the chances of damaging that particular tire when removing it are quite high.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply