Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
It wouldn't take too much editing for me to rewrite this as an editorial on all the reasons I love Kona.

This ^^^^^^^^^

I think this is the way of sport -- really the way of life -- the human condition. Back in the day when I played golf (poorly), I could have penned a kileyay-esque takedown as to how stupid the sport is -- and yet, if there wasn't an attraction, the essay would make no sense. The whole idea of sport is stupid. Why does anybody care about it? Why does anybody care about chasing a white ball around a pasture? Why does anybody care about smacking a ball over a net? Getting an oblong ball across the goal line? Getting a sphere to go through a hoop? Biking and running 138.2 across a tropical lava field in the mid Pacific? The only answer I can come up with is that we care because we care. We care because a tradition built up that created a mass hysteria that we buy into.

An essay like kileyay's could be written by someone whose relationship with the sport (in this case chasing a Kona slot/racing at Kona/cheering for pros at Kona) is irredeemably broken; it could be written by someone who only thinks it is irredeemably broken; it could be written by someone who is still is completely in love with the sport, but the sport is not reciprocating that love -- but in any case it could't be written by someone who was never in love with it -- and it could never be appreciated like it can be by others who share the love hate relationship with that sport (or, to a lesser degree, any other sport).

At any rate, I haven't fallen out of love with this Kona sport (at least not yet) for many of the reasons in the OP.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Kona might be a good test of "toughness" for the Pros.

For aspiring AG podiums it seems to be a good test of two things:
1) Ability draft (NOT legal drafting)- you gain 15 to 20 minutes if you don't get caught CHEATING, you only 10 to 15 minutes if you do get caught CHEATING.
2) Ability to run well in the humidity.

This is not the greatest test of overall 140.6 racing ability.

I fixed it. I think it's just easier to cut the course, it's the same anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
But the business argument about Kona is - and pretty much always has been - a poor one. But this is where the business-v-elite-sport part becomes a challenge. The "smart" business decision for almost every pro is to not go to Kona. But if you are a highly competitive elite athlete, where else would you want to race?

Would love to hear about the pressures that sponsors do (or don't) place on their pros to race Kona (those with the KPR points). I'd bet there's more pressure from a pro's sponsors than an AG sponsor. Is that something that is in pro contracts? Do racers from Team EMJ, Wattie, Zoot, etc. get "pressured" to race?
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
kevincoady wrote:
It wouldn't take too much editing for me to rewrite this as an editorial on all the reasons I love Kona.

would love to read that thread. please do this

done http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only fools pay 1000 bucks for a race they already qualified for. Kudos to WTC for milking the Kona-Cow and I reckon there is enough stupidity around that it will take time until it will bleed dry.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An essay like kileyay's could be written by someone whose relationship with the sport (in this case chasing a Kona slot/racing at Kona/cheering for pros at Kona) is irredeemably broken; it could be written by someone who only thinks it is irredeemably broken; it could be written by someone who is still is completely in love with the sport, but the sport is not reciprocating that love -- but in any case it could't be written by someone who was never in love with it -- and it could never be appreciated like it can be by others who share the love hate relationship with that sport (or, to a lesser degree, any other sport).

There is so much that does not make ANY sense about Kona, aka Ironman Hawaii, aka, The Ironman World Championships - but it's evolved over time to be what it is, and play the role that it plays in the sport of triathlon. For a large part of the triathlon community, it is a focal point for that few days of the year in October.

I do think that it's at some form of peak, whatever your perspective, and may start to slide in years to come. But this will for sure not be seen for at least another year. Next year is the 40th anniversary, and there has already been talk of BIG things for next year. Interest will be high naturally going into next year, and next year, may seem even more off-the-scale than in the last few years, but that is to be expected with significant anniversaries.

If a slide is to be noticeable, it will now not be until 2019!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At any rate, I haven't fallen out of love with this Kona sport (at least not yet) for many of the reasons in the OP.

As a comment to my own post and an insight into my personality -- through all the decades when I would have been fully justified in writing a kyleyay-like essay, I never fell out of love with the Cubbies and that made last year so, so sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only rewards that matter are the ones that come from within and an event like Kona has a way of disguising that. But if you don't lose sight of it I can only imagine how internally rewarding it could be...
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You race at the pointy end for a few years but if you don't get that KQ, you're nothing to anyone who races Ironman and people who don't even understand the sport (i.e. have you done that one in Hawaii).

I think that's one of the biggest problems, people trying to qualify because it is the best known race. It's natural to feel that way but if more people did triathlons for their own challenge and not to impress others, Kona would struggle to fill the slots.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not read all response here, I do agree with a lot of what you said. But I do think the fact thats its not easy to have a good race there makes it more of a challenge. I am coming from the personal standpoint of being 0-2 now at Kona and I want more then ever to go back and have a good marathon on the Queen K. Maybe my mentality just feeds into what you are saying to?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this Kona hype is your fault
Yes you all stop talking about it or giving glory to it. How about hypingvroth more? It has more spectators, and just as stacked field since most top triathletes are European
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I have not read all response here, I do agree with a lot of what you said. But I do think the fact thats its not easy to have a good race there makes it more of a challenge. I am coming from the personal standpoint of being 0-2 now at Kona and I want more then ever to go back and have a good marathon on the Queen K. Maybe my mentality just feeds into what you are saying to?

And that is what they are hoping, which nothing wrong with that, but clearly you have to admit it is an OCD focus.

Was just talking to a friend today about this. IMO, anyone who walks the run on an IM did a very poor job of racing. Again, I could care less about ones bike times. When I did IMLT 2013, some say I sucked on the bike. Came off in 700th place.
I passed 400 folks on the run, never walked, and ended up with the fastest run time in my AG, and 6th OA. I thought I had paced the race perfectly for my genetics and skills.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
All this Kona hype is your fault
Yes you all stop talking about it or giving glory to it. How about hypingvroth more? It has more spectators, and just as stacked field since most top triathletes are European

Why do people attempt to summit mountains? Why do people attempt to reach the top of Mountains they have failed to summit in the past? Its similar situation from a mental standpoint. Hell those guys are risking there lives, at least if Kona does not go well you can go have poke the next day and a nice cup of coffee. I get it some people seem to hate the idea of Kona and what it stands for, for me its actually the reason I got into the sport.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're absolutely right. There's Kona, but there is also Roth. And there's ITU Long WC, which rotates (Denmark this year). Then there are 70.3 Worlds, which also rotate.

Well before I ever thought about triathlon I used to climb rockfaces. And in climbing, there are K2 and Everest, which are obviously the pinnacle of that sport. They're ridiculously expensive to attempt and kill a lot of people. But nobody looks down on people who climb some gnarly difficult and dangerous thing in Europe or Alaska or wherever, because those are people who've put themselves out on the line. Same thing with a 'short distance' climber who knocks out a 5.13d, which is a completely different challenge.

Thing is: are the races above equal? Who says they're not? It's entirely a matter of perspective, and the way in which so many triathletes have aligned themselves with a company which does not promote the interests of triathlon is interesting.

As for triathlon itself, if we were to take the stoic approach of naming things as they are, we'd call this men and women running around for no other reason than to make themselves feel good. A particularly public and strenuous form of self-pleasure, with Kona the most public and strenuous version.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Pinewood74 wrote:
The majors are absolutely not on equal footing in golf.

As a former PGA Professional........I'd love to hear you expound on this.

I'll just let your former co-workers make the point for me: https://www.google.com/...vents-2016-17-season[/url]

Quote:
Asked which major they'd most like to win, players in the annual Sports Illustrated survey place the Masters atop the list, double-digit percentage points above the runner-up.

I think you've got a good list of events in triathlon that could be "majors," it's just the sport is still in its infancy and no one has formerly titled them as such. Kona will always be your Wimbledon/Masters, but as ericmulk said we could rope the two ITU championships and then a good case exists for Roth being a 4th one as well since a lot of pros show up to that.

If we start referring to them as such, it can happen. Kona doesn't have to be the only "peak"(to borrow the climber terms), but it will always be the Everest. (Even if a peak like K2 is more challenging or prestigious for those in the community)
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
You're absolutely right. There's Kona, but there is also Roth. And there's ITU Long WC, which rotates (Denmark this year). Then there are 70.3 Worlds, which also rotate.

Well before I ever thought about triathlon I used to climb rockfaces. And in climbing, there are K2 and Everest, which are obviously the pinnacle of that sport. They're ridiculously expensive to attempt and kill a lot of people. But nobody looks down on people who climb some gnarly difficult and dangerous thing in Europe or Alaska or wherever, because those are people who've put themselves out on the line. Same thing with a 'short distance' climber who knocks out a 5.13d, which is a completely different challenge.

Thing is: are the races above equal? Who says they're not? It's entirely a matter of perspective, and the way in which so many triathletes have aligned themselves with a company which does not promote the interests of triathlon is interesting.

As for triathlon itself, if we were to take the stoic approach of naming things as they are, we'd call this men and women running around for no other reason than to make themselves feel good. A particularly public and strenuous form of self-pleasure, with Kona the most public and strenuous version.
I like your analysis!
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Pinewood74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem is that for the moment Kona is the only major that matters (+/- 70.3WC), and the KPR ensures that any pro whose spot isn't guaranteed will focus on WTC races to ensure they get a ticket to that major. Sure, the top 10 or 15 might have a go at ITU or Roth, but that's a luxury that most pros chasing Kona can't afford.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Pinewood74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have to laugh at the idea that in golf the 4 majors apparently are not even close and then same person brings up itu world long course as should be a “major”. Itu long course worlds is 2nd rate compared to Kona or short course worlds. That’s not even debatable to be considered a top 3/4 event in sport.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when you do conquer the marathon in Hawaii do you move on and set another goal or just keep trying to KQ and try to out do your PB there? You’ve knocked out the big three, Boston, Kona and 70.3 WC. What’ll be next?
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I do have to laugh at the idea that in golf the 4 majors apparently are not even close and then same person brings up itu world long course as should be a “major”. Itu long course worlds is 2nd rate compared to Kona or short course worlds. That’s not even debatable to be considered a top 3/4 event in sport.

Then what are the top 4 annual events in the sport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily Kona, ITU SC Worlds, 70.3 worlds, Roth are far superior than ITU LC World's. Go look at the start lists/media coverage of LC world's. I'm not say that as a negative, I'm saying that in Long course racing, WTC has no equal with both 70.3 worlds and Kona....maybe Roth. But certainly not ITU LC world's, and any saying it should be a "major" has no understanding of the sport.

ETA: I'm not knocking ITU Long Course world's either. I'm saying that as a sport, we have decided Kona is far superior to a "world championship" event than ITU, that goes for media coverage/athlete's racing/pro fields. Now I love that it moves around (just as 70.3 worlds now moves around). But to say ITU LC World's should be a "major" if we just all say it and believe it...not going to happen. The sport has spoken, Kona (and WTC) takes the cake for long course racing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 27, 17 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Easily Kona, ITU SC Worlds, 70.3 worlds, Roth are far superior than ITU LC World's. Go look at the start lists/media coverage of LC world's. I'm not say that as a negative, I'm saying that in Long course racing, WTC has no equal with both 70.3 worlds and Kona....maybe Roth. But certainly not ITU LC world's, and any saying it should be a "major" has no understanding of the sport.

ETA: I'm not knocking ITU Long Course world's either. I'm saying that as a sport, we have decided Kona is far superior to a "world championship" event than ITU, that goes for media coverage/athlete's racing/pro fields. Now I love that it moves around (just as 70.3 worlds now moves around). But to say ITU LC World's should be a "major" if we just all say it and believe it...not going to happen. The sport has spoken, Kona (and WTC) takes the cake for long course racing.

The problem with your selection is that you have mixed one short course event with 3 long course events ... sort of like replacing a marathon major with the Peachtree 10K or the Carlsbad 5K. It simply doesn't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

The problem with your selection is that you have mixed one short course event with 3 long course events ... sort of like replacing a marathon major with the Peachtree 10K or the Carlsbad 5K. It simply doesn't fit.

More to our sport than long stuff. Now maybe that is why we have so many fat folks in the world, they never know when to stop. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I can take out ITU SC, but because Erik originally said it was a "major" I was adding it in. But if you take out SC world's, no way ITU LC should replace it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

More to our sport than long stuff. Now maybe that is why we have so many fat folks in the world, they never know when to stop. :)

There's more to tennis than singles, but you wouldn't mix Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, the French Open, and the Australian Doubles. Feel free to come up with your top 4 short course majors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next