Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
So when you do conquer the marathon in Hawaii do you move on and set another goal or just keep trying to KQ and try to out do your PB there? You’ve knocked out the big three, Boston, Kona and 70.3 WC. What’ll be next?

Easy: (in no particular order) Run sub 3 at Boston, Rim to Rim, Western States, Climb Denali with my brother, go sub 9 at a IM, and go back to Kona and keep trying to do better. Get back into surfing more when I have knocked all of those out. Kona for me is just iconic, some people will argue that thats media hype and the early NBC sports broadcast and stuff; but to me that shit matters and is what i grew up watching. Its a honor for me just to be in a position where I can go race Kona and live out that childhood dream. So I just don't see the point in bashing Kona, to each there own I guess.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to give credit to anyone who can integrate a reference to Foucault in a triathlon thread, and double credit to anyone else who might get said reference. Nicely written. I especially appreciated the way your post screws with the reader by allowing both reader response and authorial intent interpreted responses.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Triathlon to me is very unique in that at least for LC, the leader of the sport is an private company, not an governing body. I don't know how many sports that is truly the case, where governing bodies essential bow to a private company. That's how powerful it is, and not saying that's bad. I'm just saying that when they have a gravy train like Kona, they have zero incentive to move it. But that's a different discussion than the "fairness" of having WC at same location every year (which is what I was mentioning earlier).

^^THIS

To say that Kona is a World Championship is completely arbitrary, but everyone buys into it. The only official WCs are those sanctioned by ITU.

Another private equity firm could start their own WC in a different location... if only they had a few billion $ to spend... On another note, it would be just as valid for any old local triathlon to call themselves a World Championship. Aside from attendance, history, and prestige, what makes their claim any less valid?

Ironman IS NOT triathlon. Triathlon is much more than Ironman. I would urge those who agree with the OP to consider an alternative to promote some healthy competition so WTC is not the only game in town forever.

Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkenny5150 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Triathlon to me is very unique in that at least for LC, the leader of the sport is an private company, not an governing body. I don't know how many sports that is truly the case, where governing bodies essential bow to a private company. That's how powerful it is, and not saying that's bad. I'm just saying that when they have a gravy train like Kona, they have zero incentive to move it. But that's a different discussion than the "fairness" of having WC at same location every year (which is what I was mentioning earlier).

^^THIS

To say that Kona is a World Championship is completely arbitrary, but everyone buys into it. The only official WCs are those sanctioned by ITU.

Another private equity firm could start their own WC in a different location... if only they had a few billion $ to spend... On another note, it would be just as valid for any old local triathlon to call themselves a World Championship. Aside from attendance, history, and prestige, what makes their claim any less valid?

Ironman IS NOT triathlon. Triathlon is much more than Ironman. I would urge those who agree with the OP to consider an alternative to promote some healthy competition so WTC is not the only game in town forever.

Things are getting worse. It is interesting to not see any posts about changes to races with Rev 3 and IM. Lots of chatter that big changes may come in 2019 with races going away.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Ah, but it's not really that Kona is so important or so awful. It's just that (some) people really are that stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I know relatively little about Kona. I also don't care very much about Kona. I'm at a loss to understand why so many others do. The thing is, outside of Slowtwitch, I only know one triathlete with any aspirations to Kona. And I know quite a few triathletes. Slowtwitch is an echo chamber. Don't go thinking that Slowtwitch sensibilities represent the masses. Or do they? Certainly not the masses I know.

Those who obsess over Kona Ironman, Boston Marathon, or some other idolised event, are idiots with no sense of perspective. They tend to be the same people who repeatedly refer to themselves as a type A personality.

I find it hard to avoid the conclusion that these people are using these events as a proxy for the lack of some real substance in their life. More TV, more consumerism, more social media = more need for something that seems substantial and valuable. Many turn to a tough sporting event. The more "iconic" the better.

To say something like "Kona is more than a triathlon, it is triathlon" is to insult all non-insane triathletes. I enjoy triathlon. I'll continue to do so regardless of what happens year to year at Kona. It's not on my radar except for the occasional thread on ST. Let's move on, shall we........

Almost as spot on as the OP. Exactly my thoughts. I train and compete for a sense of personal satisfaction and I care about my own bottom line. I don't care much for bragging to people about it. Never been to Kona and it's not on my bucket list. If I ever go there it will be to ride my bike up Mauna Kea, not to race a WTC event.

Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I harbored a lot of these same feelings. I wrote some - but not all - in an editorial on this site back in 2011. In 2012, though, I got bit by the Kona bug, in large part because - at that point - I had come to a "what else is there?"

This is where I think the real challenge within the sport of triathlon of triathlon-as-elite-sport and triathlon-as-professional-sport starts to diverge. And this is really something that is largely unique to the pros. Any discussion of Kona needs to be split between pros and AGers. This split became even more marked when the KPR was introduced, because then the whole "KPR chase" for qualification really changed the nature of the race for pros as compared with AG slots.

Beyond that, of course, exists the dichotomy that's always existed - that Kona represents, in many ways, the dividing line between the "haves" and "have nots" in the pro ranks. Though I think a large part of this is self-fulfilling prophecy. Most pros I talk to say that your world changes once you are a top-10 in Kona. But most sponsors I talk to disagree and say only a podium performance really changes things, and really only a win will totally change how you are regarded. In this sense, I do think many pros go to Kona thinking that a good - but not great - result will get them a lot more than it likely actually will in practice, from a business standpoint.

But the business argument about Kona is - and pretty much always has been - a poor one. But this is where the business-v-elite-sport part becomes a challenge. The "smart" business decision for almost every pro is to not go to Kona. But if you are a highly competitive elite athlete, where else would you want to race?

I've been to Kona four times. I should have only gone twice - 2012 & 2015. But I do not have regrets about going in 2013 & 2016, because I think I went for the right reasons. Those were the years that - on balance (in particular 2016) - made me realize that it wasn't a race that I needed to do again. A career in professional sport is not always about making the "safe" decision. It wasn't my decision to race Kona in any of those years that I regret. It was more the decisions that I made in the lead up to Kona. And if Kona wasn't such a hard race, it wouldn't have exposed that bad decision making process. And that's less about "I can use this information to have a better race in Kona next time." It's much more about "I can use this information to make better decisions in general. Both as an athlete and beyond."

I do agree that I'm probably too much of a head-case to have ever really thrived in Kona. It's a race where you have to believe you can do well in the face of overwhelming odds that you will not, something that's never been my strong suit. I've always had more reasons why I shouldn't have done well. I'm too pragmatic, though that's served me plenty well in other areas of my life and career as well. But I only had a bad swim there once... Wink

Society has always had an overwhelming blindspot with regards to survivorship bias. We never hear the stories of those who are chewed up by the process that rewards those who make it. But so what? Would we listen even if we heard those stories? Probably not. We tend to learn best by doing and experiencing lessons - even really obvious ones like, "you probably won't do well in Kona (or any other highly-competitive-event)."

I do agree with the cliche that, "the definition of insanity is making the same mistake over and over." But I also think life is about more than only picking the battles you know you can win...

I stopped racing all WTC events when they went to the KPR system and raised the pro entry fees. Rev3 was putting up 5 times the prize purse at the time. Unfortunately, I can't think of a single other pro who did what I did... because it was virtually impossible to survive without WTC. Hence the reason I think their business model has been more destructive (than productive) for the sport as a whole.

Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A great post. Well done kileyay. I disagree with about 80 per cent of it, but I like your thinking.

A few random observations ...

* If you want to win Wimbledon - which I'd argue is the biggest event in tennis - you'd better be able to play well on grass and be prepared to visit London. Simples. If you want to win golf's biggest event, then hello Augusta, Georgia. The FA Cup is played at Wembley, the AFL grand final is always at the MCG. Sure, the World Series moves around, as does the Super Bowl, but this is triathlon and this is Kona (he types, shrugging his shoulders).
* I've never done Kona. I've finished one Ironman, in 12:59. So my outlook is going to be different to a lot of others on this forum and especially throughout this thread. But surely, if you get to Kona, your first time is all about just finishing. Who cares how long it takes. Just finish. What an achievement.
* If you keep coming back after that debut, you'd want to have a bloody good reason. Because inevitably, the race will chew you up and spit you out.
* As for the pros, well, I've been to Kona several times for work. I've spent plenty of time catching up with finishers at the hotel pool, out the back of the finish line. You see many, many pros there who are just devastated. People bawling their eyes out and looking like they're about to drop dead ... AFTER their IV! I wouldn't do what they do in a million years.
* Craig Alexander put it well once - some people are built to do well in Kona, some aren't.
* Some, like Chris McCormack or Mark Allen, can make the adjustments and become great at Kona. But a lot cannot. Guess what - it's a bloody tough race. And life is unfair.
* Attitude is everything. If you want to have a s..t time at Kona in race week, as a competitor or an onlooker, it's pretty easy to do. Having a great time can be harder, but it is possible ... most of the time.
* A member of our squad did Kona for the first time this year and he is so happy. He's a good bloke and we are all so happy for him. He prepared well, had his ducks in a row, was well-resourced and well-researched, didn't have any hideously-bad luck and got the job done. Well done to him.
* This sport is full of serious insects who think it's all about them and fail to realise life is unfair.
* I'd love to visit Kona outside of race week, midyear, to see what it's like "normally". In race week, it is super-weird.

And after all that, geez I'd love to finish Kona one day ...

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Last edited by: teaandstuff: Oct 28, 17 23:16
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rev3 is not going to do the Poconos race in 2018. The venue would not renew with them, but the bigger issue is that Rev3 really can't turn a profit on a race until they get near 1000 participants. With WTC taking the lion's share of long course racers, everyone else is fighting for scraps. Competition is a good thing for business, but the masses have made it clear... They don't want to race Challenge in NA. They don't want to race Rev3 (Quassy is the only race that keeps getting solid turnouts, but even those are diminishing), but they WILL race a Rev3 race with a WTC license (Maine, Barrelman). It's pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Add Atlantic City to that list too. Independent races, well run, grass roots, family friendly, non-corporate feel... They don't get the participants. Add the Ironman label and charge an extra $150 and people come in droves. At the same time, people complain that there aren't any other options! Rev3 puts on great events, but not enough folks would do Cedar Point (or Knoxville, Maine, etc.)... so they had to cancel. People drove the competition out of town, and now a race director would be crazy to start a new long course race without Ironman's backing.

I also think it's important to make a distinction between the old Ironman and the new WTC. IMO, things changed when they switched to the KPR point system ~2010. Even worse when the Chinese company bought them last year. When I go to a Rev3 race, or a local sprint, the races have a nice feel to them. Most are about the athlete and their experience. WTC gives you a distinctly different feel. It's good for their bottom line, but bad for the long term growth potential of the sport. They have a stranglehold on the sport, and really, their trademark lawyers are the only reason they've continued to dominate. They succeed not because of triathletes, but because of non-triathletes who only know about Ironman and Kona. The Rev3 tattoo carries no weight when bragging at the water cooler.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow what a really sad post. Where was Ironman conceived and first run? Oh that's right the home of Ironman Hawaii. Anywhere else an Ironman should almost be considered easy. Yes the conditions are tough but everyone knows it and it is what makes it such a special race going to battle the heat and wind. People that play their big story on Instagram how heroic they are and get bought back to size deserve everything thing they get. Of course anyone giving so much to a race and fails to reach expectation should be disappointed. The expo is nothing exciting with many companies pushing cheap deals to make revenue and like Rudy have the appearance of how good their stuff is by everyone using it. The same can be said about Ironman as a sport as it more often than not leaves me disappointed because I expected to get more out of myself the same as I do at Kona. I want to have that super fast Ironman where I feel I conquered the course and I want to have the same for Kona but I almost see them as different events due to the fact how much harder Kona is. My only gripe is people do put it on too much of a pedestal that they are racing there and many people pump their ego.

Drafting is a separate story at every race especially with a mass start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The previous poster called it a sad post. I don't agree. It's not sad, but it is a reality from one viewpoint.

Here are a couple of points, though, that possibly challenge the premise of the post. Had Sanders not had the race he did, I suspect he would have had significant presence in your editorial. But, he largely pulled it off. I think that kind of fans the Kona flames, right? Sanders just couldn't "get" Kona and many folks were suggesting he just skip that race.... but then he did it. He held on to first place for 98+% of the race and still held on for 2nd. Hoffman placed 2nd in 2014 and has been at the front of the race ever since adding a serious element of drama. Potts has not "got" Kona.... but then hasn't he? (separate question: how do his performances line up with Widoff and Lovato for Americans who consistently place in the top 10?). Mark Allen: he didn't "get" Kona until his 6th attempt 2nd place finish (though he added to the drama sooner than that). So, this idea that the conditions are so, so hard, but that you get folks like Sanders who emerge from the hot and humid despair you refer to.... doesn't that make the thought of realizing a good race in Kona somewhat possible for all of us?

Then there is the thought, my thought, that triathlon may need a ultra marathoning equivalent to the world major marathons to prevent the cannibalism WTC is reeking on our sport. (sure, that's where the swim-run events come in) But I look to ultra running and see something similar happening over there. You got the former Ithaca Crew of Sage, Max and Yassine. Sage and Max can consistently win 50 mile ultra races, and Yassine placed 7th at Western States. But, it seems that no athlete can be consistent at the 100 mile distance. That distance seems to have a similar effect in terms of minimizing accomplishments at shorter distances while destroying the pros, and possibly, leading to the same attrition in the sport that Ironman racing leads to, where athletes go all in for IMLP or Kona in terms of training and gear and then upset the work, support-system balance in their lives and have to leave the sport, which negatively affects the industry tied to the sport.

So, I don't know: do we blame Kona, WTC, 100 mile ultra races, cross fit... it appears to be an issue of our goal motivation systems. I blame Zwift

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kilian seems to be pretty consistent, no?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

I'd have to go back and look as I don't follow Ultra close enough, but isn't Anton Krupicka having issues with consistency? But Kilian would be like a Frodo or a Crowie, right? and Kiley pointed out in his message that those guys are awesome to spectate, but there's everyone else. Does making a 100 mile race like Hardrock, Leadville, Western States, as the goal and benchmark for legitimacy, does it have a negative effect on the sport?

edit: I'll reach out to Gary David, sociology professor at Bentley who does (did?) cohost the Elevation Trail podcast for his thoughts, as he's done Boston, IMLP and Ultra races and thinks a lot about this stuff.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 29, 17 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

I'd have to go back and look as I don't follow Ultra close enough, but isn't Anton Krupicka having issues with consistency? But Kilian would be like a Frodo or a Crowie, right? and Kiley pointed out in his message that those guys are awesome to spectate, but there's everyone else. Does making a 100 mile race like Hardrock, Leadville, Western States, as the goal and benchmark for legitimacy, does it have a negative effect on the sport?

edit: I'll reach out to Gary David, sociology professor at Bentley who does (did?) cohost the Elevation Trail podcast for his thoughts, as he's done Boston, IMLP and Ultra races and thinks a lot about this stuff.

I think Kilian is more like Dave Scott than a Frodo or even Crowie. I mean, look no further than this year for proof of that.

But the fact that Kilian is an outlier is largely the point. When athletes - and/or spectators - look at Kilian, do they see someone who is doing something that no one else is really capable of or do they see someone who is proving what is possible? I don't know enough about the folks in the sport to know.

I think Kilian can either support the argument that 100mi is the benchmark for legitimacy OR that it's having a negative effect on the sport. As with the much-less-popular thread about why Kona is great, I think the differences in the argument are almost entirely a matter of perspective.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkenny5150 wrote:

1998 agreement between ITU and WTC:
https://www.teamusa.org/...998-USAT-ITU-WTC.pdf

Briefly, it states that:
ITU recognizes WTC's ownership of "Ironman Triathlon World Championship" (and many other similar names)

ITU acknowledges that the Ironman Triathlon World Championship does not constitute a "self-proclaimed" or "self-declared" world championship within any meaning of any ITU rule or policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this post. Holy sh*t, what is goin on here at ST? People (even the men) are having all the feels-type things this week???

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
But, it seems that no athlete can be consistent at the 100 mile distance. That distance seems to have a similar effect in terms of minimizing accomplishments at shorter distances while destroying the pros

yes - ultras at 100 and up tend to either destroy the athlete, or they semi-retire and become soul runners..

Anton Krupicka
Tim Olson
Geoff Roes

the pattern is a couple of good years rapidly followed by collapse.
Women don't seem as prone to this for some reason, either tougher or more sensible about training, or both.

Anna Frost

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Wow what a really sad post. Where was Ironman conceived and first run? Oh that's right the home of Ironman Hawaii. Anywhere else an Ironman should almost be considered easy. Yes the conditions are tough but everyone knows it and it is what makes it such a special race going to battle the heat and wind. People that play their big story on Instagram how heroic they are and get bought back to size deserve everything thing they get. Of course anyone giving so much to a race and fails to reach expectation should be disappointed. The expo is nothing exciting with many companies pushing cheap deals to make revenue and like Rudy have the appearance of how good their stuff is by everyone using it. The same can be said about Ironman as a sport as it more often than not leaves me disappointed because I expected to get more out of myself the same as I do at Kona. I want to have that super fast Ironman where I feel I conquered the course and I want to have the same for Kona but I almost see them as different events due to the fact how much harder Kona is. My only gripe is people do put it on too much of a pedestal that they are racing there and many people pump their ego.

If you are implying that the first Ironman Hawaii was at Kona they you would be wrong. From 1978 to 1980 it was on Oahu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkenny5150 wrote:
I also think it's important to make a distinction between the old Ironman and the new WTC. IMO, things changed when they switched to the KPR point system ~2010. Even worse when the Chinese company bought them last year. When I go to a Rev3 race, or a local sprint, the races have a nice feel to them. Most are about the athlete and their experience. WTC gives you a distinctly different feel. It's good for their bottom line, but bad for the long term growth potential of the sport. They have a stranglehold on the sport, and really, their trademark lawyers are the only reason they've continued to dominate. They succeed not because of triathletes, but because of non-triathletes who only know about Ironman and Kona. The Rev3 tattoo carries no weight when bragging at the water cooler.

Please clue me in. What is the distinction between the old Ironman and the new WTC and when did this change occur? Exactly what is worse now that they've been acquired by Dalian Wanda ... and is definitively a result of the new ownership?

There's no doubt that WTC maintains market dominance in triathlon, but another perspective might be that without Ironman, triathlon participation might not ever have grown to its current worldwide participation level, and in fact, the sport - in the U.S. - might have totally imploded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an important point. I do love the sport -- that's why I posted this thread. We are wondering why the sport is declining. In my opinion the biggest force driving the decline is IRONMAN, among the middle of the pack, and Kona, among the pointy end athletes on these boards. And IRONMAN is Kona and Kona is IRONMAN. This sport is not supposed to ruin us, make us feel like shit, or, in the words of Jesse Thomas, "take years off my life". We are burning out our athletes and burning out our best athletes.

Staying away from the politics of all this, I agree with part of what you are getting at here.

An IRONMAN triathlon is an insanely long and hard race. When it first became popular, it was thought of as a ounce-a-year kind of race. Indeed, when there was still just the 5-main IRONMAN races around the world, IMH was thought of as the end-of-the-year race. You woukld train race, at shorter distances all year building up to IMH.

Now it's almost a year-round obsession. Newcomers coming into the sport go right to the IRONMAN (full) distance as their first triathlon. And that's all they will focus on - with the odd 70.3 as a "tune-up" or "training race".

Racing multiple IM races throughout a long competitive year, be you an AGer or a Pro, can't be overall that good or healthy for you.

I note that world-class marathon runners confine themselves to two marathons a year - often one on the spring and another in the fall!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's coming at it from a pro prospective and the old/new WTC was the days where WTC never had a "points standings" for pros to qualify. Of course that all happened the same time Rev3 and other race companies were creating much better pro specific pay structures. So to solve that, WTC created the current setup that basically required you to race more WTC events and less other pro paying events.

ETA: Which is weird in that I've wondered why WTC didn't go that route with AG'ers as well to qualify for Kona. Points really are only used for rankings but not Kona spots.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 30, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
He's coming at it from a pro prospective and the old/new WTC was the days where WTC never had a "points standings" for pros to qualify. Of course that all happened the same time Rev3 and other race companies were creating much better pro specific pay structures. So to solve that, WTC created the current setup that basically required you to race more WTC events and less other pro paying events.

ETA: Which is weird in that I've wondered why WTC didn't go that route with AG'ers as well to qualify for Kona. Points really are only used for rankings but not Kona spots.

That explains the old vs the new Pro qualification method (which preceded the sale to Wanda). It doesn't tell me what is different (and negative) since Dalian Wanda took over. Meanwhile, WTC HQ is still right here in Tampa (new digs though) and has tremendously expanded space and staff this past year.

Yes, when the KPR system came about a lot of people here speculated that WTC would go the same route for Age Groupers with the AWA rankings. Its always something they can do later if they feel like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

If you are implying that the first Ironman Hawaii was at Kona they you would be wrong. From 1978 to 1980 it was on Oahu.

I am quite aware of the history I was referring to Hawaii the state or islands. My point being the conditions are just as oppressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Made Crazy by Kona: An Editorial on the Most Malignant Social Force in Triathlon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I note that world-class marathon runners confine themselves to two marathons a year - often one on the spring and another in the fall!

I feel fitter after an IM than after a solo marathon, just because you can't run so fast in an IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved everything about Kona week,especially the morning swims at Dig Me Beach and the many social events throughout the week. The race itself was epic due to the challenging conditions and I loved the run along Ali Drive and also the finishing mile. Volunteers and organization was fantastic. And my wife loved the holiday and especially the week after in Maui. Sure there are easier and more beautiful courses around, but to experience this legendary event certainly met this first-timer’s expectations. Now to figure out how I can get back there again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps we should be distinguishing between WTC and triathlon, because what's in the interest of one sport is not in the interests of the other sport.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next