Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MP3 player for running recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I think the battery on my venerable SanDisk Sansa Clip+ is dying. They've been discontinued for years and are selling for $134 now so that's a no go.

I'm not interested in using my phone or an iPod. Just want a minimal MP3 player that's durable.

Does anyone have any experience with the SanDisk Clip Jam player? It's the replacement to my player and is currently about $30.

Interestingly enough, I use the (wired) earbuds from my iPhone for running & indoor cycling because I read the recommendation for them here on a ST thread years ago. I'm still happy to use those-they fit me well and are bulletproof.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Feb 24, 19 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: MP3 player for running recommendations? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Mighty Vibe.
Quote Reply
Re: MP3 player for running recommendations? [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus one on the mighty. Just make sure you charge it after about every other run.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly suggest the SanDisk Clip Plus Sport. I do have some more old SanDisk Clip+ on hand, I stocked up before the price went gong-show. The Clip Plus Sport is more water-resistant, important down here in Florida, but I still prefer my Clip+ with RockBox Firmware.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: MP3 player for running recommendations? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I would highly suggest the SanDisk Clip Plus Sport. I do have some more old SanDisk Clip+ on hand, I stocked up before the price went gong-show. The Clip Plus Sport is more water-resistant, important down here in Florida, but I still prefer my Clip+ with RockBox Firmware.

I have one. Basic, but does the job.

I also have a Sony AW-35, bit chunkier, but quality is superb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clip Jam is fine, inexpensive. I have practically every SanDisk MP3 player ever - I'm using a Clip Sport for running right now, but have used a Jam. I used a Clip, then a Clip+ for a long time. All good. The main difference with the Sport and Jam - no Rockbox. If you're not into the Rockbox firmware, then the newer models are fine. That's one reason the prices on the Clip+ and Zip are whack - they are the last to be Rockboxable from the Sansa line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon (and eBay) have a number of Clip clones. Here's one with BT (wired, too). Anyone try these? Sound? Durability? One thing I've noticed on other MP3 knockoffs is weird, uninterpretable UI. What's the verdict on these?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But do not run with an mp3 player if you think you might ever run in to a mountain lion ... ;^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I run with a Clip Jam. Had an OG Clip that finally died last year. Perfectly OK for running, has been fine for a New England summer and winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use AGPTEK 8GB. Ideal for running and training in the gym.
Last edited by: tepsar: Feb 25, 19 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: MP3 player for running recommendations? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I might have to test one out, however, to me the Clip+ was really made special by the RockBox firmware and that is a whole other question of getting that to work on a non-san disk device sharing the same specs. Now if someone would just clone Sony MDR-AS35w headphones and start reselling them.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit out of the box for your requirements, but there's the Uku player. A quick query to Google suggests that it may only be available as part of a package from Underwater Audio. Although it's advertised there as a bluetooth receiver (so you can use wired headphones with a device that transmits bluetooth audio, e.g. an Apple Watch), it also works fine as a standalone, wired MP3 player. Plug it into your computer and it shows up as an 8GB flash drive. I've been using one that way for awhile without any issues. No need to worry about rain, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s a new Clip Sport + on eBay for $49 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item4d8da1b8ac

Personally, I use the cheap <$20 ipx8 waterproof ones off of eBay. No screen, but also no worries about rain/sweat. Filter to US stock, so you don’t wait a month for something to ship from China.

The one I use: https://www.ebay.com/...6:g:EH0AAOSwc1Zb1rbO

Disclaimer: I work at eBay

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Feb 25, 19 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up grabbing a SanDisk Clip Jam player for $30. At that price I'll give it a shot.

Once I ran my Sansa Clip+ through the washing machine. I let it dry for 36 hr. and it worked like a champ for another 2 yr. Can't even tell you how many downpours it's been subjected to during summer runs. Such an absolute beast of a player.

I didn't want a refurb because the battery life is only limited to a certain number of cycles. A weak battery has pretty much always been the death of all my former players: 1st gen. ipod shuffle, 2nd gen. shuffle (x2), Sansa Clip+ (x3). I'll let you guys know what I think about my new Clip Jam in about 3 or 4 years hopefully : )

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply