Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41
Quote | Reply
Chapeau to Cam Brown taking third in the pro field out of the M45-49 crew!!!! Is this an age group world record....and the 2:41 run!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 3, 18 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chapeau to Cam Brown taking third in the pro field out of the M45-49 crew!!!! Is this an age group world record....and the 2:41 run!!!!

I guess you know the answer is technically no as he’s racing pro.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless one of the older Germans did Roth I cant think of anyone going that fast 45-49. Pro or not he is still 45. How he is motivated to stay at that level is just as amazing as the physical feat.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I guess you know the answer is technically no as he’s racing pro.

My entire point is that age group heros (especially in the sub 40 age groups) are not actually heros....there are much faster pros in their age group....generally in 45-49, the fastest people in the world are actually racing in the age group, but suddenly Cam racing with the pros has beaten every 45-49 on the planet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam had a phenomenal performance!
But as a fan, I like Dave Scott’s 8:28 5th place in Kona as a pro. I think he was 42 at the time. Or his 2nd place at age 40.
Not to take anything away from Mr Brown (who was never great in Kona 😜)
Ken Glah was also impressive in New Zealand!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam Brown never great in Kona? He has a number of 2nds and 3rds there. He is one of the best guys to have never won it.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence, the wink!
Second to Faris and Deboom with his times may not be considered great!
His wins elsewhere were great, but against the world in Kona he came up short.
But like I said, I am a big Dave Scott fan and no amount of logic can convince a fan.
Yes,Cam was and is impressive.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Hence, the wink!
Second to Faris and Deboom with his times may not be considered great!
His wins elsewhere were great, but against the world in Kona he came up short.
But like I said, I am a big Dave Scott fan and no amount of logic can convince a fan.
Yes,Cam was and is impressive.

You're right. Two seconds, two thirds and six top tens at Kona with a best time of 8'19" isn't great!!!
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad we agree!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess sarcasm doesn't extend too well to text?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great Cameron but now I want to throw here my stone...

we know there are ex-pro (older AG over 45) but also younger ex-pro in the 30s who are still easily winning AG
then I had this thought:

- create Elite W and Elite M categories
- WTC automatically move into these categories (if not yet done during registration spontaneously), anybody who is within 10% of the PRO W and PRO M winners final race ranking (10% is just a number, can be 5% or 15% I don't know what would be best)
- reserve Kona slots for these 2 categories as for any other AG cat

what do you think?
wouldnt be more fair for Kona hopers?
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex pros are just like you....beat them or stay home
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread comes up every year in March when Cam re writes the rules on Ironman and age. Last year, or the year before I asked if we could have an ST interview of Cam, but I'm not sure you would really get to the bottom of how he does what he does in an interview. A couple of things really stand out about what Cam has done. Firstly, like others have said, is how he manages to motivate himself year after year. The second is, in order to put down fast times, he must still be putting down a solid training schedule. How on earth his body is still holding up to that sort of training is crazy. The last year he competed in Kona, Crowie said he was almost living in the gym in his build up. Cam must have adapted his training to dealing with a reduced ability to recover etc, but his ability to understand his changing training requirement whilst still maintain the performances is incredibly impressive. I would imagine the detail in his ability to adapt over the years of 20 consecutive IMNZ podiums would be fascinating. Maybe he's blessed with incredible biomechanics, durability etc who knows. Respect to him.

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Steve-oH! wrote:

x2

x3 Pro's are age groupers that choose to race in a harder category. Makes the rest of us realise we have to work harder and keeps egos in check. You have to deserve your spot to race Kona based on your age group ability.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:

Ex-pros become donut eating slobs like me?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but Ex pros are nothing like the vast majority of Agers and if you think otherwise, you are out of touch with triathlon. I’m not to going to whine at all about their participation in the races as others might, but I’m also not going to celebrate such victories either.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 4, 18 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sorry, but Ex pros are nothing like the vast majority of Agers and if you think otherwise, you are out of touch with triathlon. I’m not to going to whine at all about their participation in the races as others might, but I’m also not going to celebrate such victories either.

Yes they are much better than most age groupers and deserve to keep competing if that is their passion. The term pro now days is often not that someone lives off their profession as a triathlete. It means someone chooses to follow their dream, maybe sacrifice building a career, making money, buying a house etc but dedicating a lot more time to the sport than most age groupers. As I mentioned earlier they are age groupers just choosing to race in the harder category for the length of their choosing. Unfortunate for people like me that took up the sport at 37 but as I mentioned in an earlier post I'm happy to be racing them and getting a reality check (my feelings aren't hurt). What do you propose a 50 year old ex pro can no longer race? They can't meet the requirements to keep a pro license based on performance in some countries and rightfully so.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you read my post? I said I’m not going to whine about their participation. In fact, I love the idea of lining up next to them. It is part of what makes triathlon cool. But when they throttle me, as they should, I’m not going to bow down for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chapeau indeed. Cam Brown is an absolute legend and his career in the sport of triathlon is simply outstanding and continues to be written. He already expressed he will be back next year in Taupo doing what he loves. Standing ovation Mr Brown.
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is different from other sports. When pro soccer players retire you don't see them lining up in their local comp. Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard Hernan Crespo move onto other challenges.

Sort of the same for basketball, don't see Kobe lining up in his local A grade taking down the local talent. When I was invited number of times to play in our local top flight, I said no as that spot was for a developing junior and I wanted to test myself at other things, cycling triathlon running.

Is there something addictive about triathlon, or after 20 odd years the pros don't have any other skills to ply. Though guys like Macca find good ways to stay involved and give to others, while building a business
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Did you read my post? I said I’m not going to whine about their participation. In fact, I love the idea of lining up next to them. It is part of what makes triathlon cool. But when they throttle me, as they should, I’m not going to bow down for them.

not asking you to bow down....just be ok when they beat you because they are better than you....they go to Kona, you dont....simple.
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Mar 4, 18 19:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why have amateur cycling, get rid of categories. Best go to the tour. Why have divisions in team sports
Quote Reply
Re: M45-49 IM age grouper World Record?: 8:07 S 51 B 4:28 R 2:41 [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference with triathlon compared to a team sport is that a 45 year old is not taking a young pros spot in the sport. The young pro can also line up at NZ. And if they can’t beat a 45 year old they have a lot of improving to do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next