Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lunch Break Workouts
Quote | Reply
I know a lot of people use their lunch breaks to get an extra workout in during the day. I currently teach middle school and the school brought in a treadmill into a vacant classroom over the summer. I'd love to get a quick 30 min run in on my planning periods (if PD allows it;).

But I was wondering how people shower and change during the lunch workouts before going back to work? I'm probably looking at baby wipes to "rinse off" afterwards. Don't want to be completely disgusting as middle school judging is worse than normal workplace. Thanks for the advice in advanced!
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hooker baths and Degree antiperspirant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I taught high school for 10 years. Could never do a workout during prep period. Forget giving up that wonderful 20 minute lunch! I would work my tail off during prep so I could workout before/after school.

Does your school have a coaches locker room? You can talk to the AD and shower there. Or skip the shower and smell just like many of your students. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Scott Tremblay how he did it. He raced as a pro for years while teaching full time. Rode his bike at least 30k (60 round trip) back and forth from work everyday, ran during prep or lunch breaks. Guy was a machine. Don't know his email, but someone on this forum probably does.
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great questions.

I see so many people here recommending lunch workouts but i can never ever see how one would do it.
You have 30 minutes.
A run takes 30 minutes, then you have to add in changing, shower etc adding atleast 10 minutes more. And you also have to eat at some point?

Unless you work in a job where smell/odor is not an issue ofcourse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, unless you can get a full 1 hour break you can't get a 30 minute run in over a lunch break. Add in the time getting there, changing, running, stop sweating (worse when on a treadmill or summer heat) showering and getting dressed again.

As for cleaning up. I'd go in the order of: Cold showers, baby wipes, and avoidable as much as possible nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re limited to 30 mins, as others said, run would be a challenge.

You could work on your conditioning though, without breaking a sweat or needing a drastic change of clothes. Some stretching, plyometrics, core work, foam rollers... the stuff that a lot of us push to bottom of the priority list but probably shouldn’t...
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Hooker baths and Degree antiperspirant

This. I'm a 5 minute drive from a good park that has 2.5 miles of a very quiet road---one lap is 5 miles, as well as dozens of miles of running trails. 5 minutes over, run or bike for 40, clean up for 10...5 back.

There are large anti-bacterial "wipes" that work pretty well--and I bring a small towel to continue the clean up. reapply deodorant. I typically run w/o a shirt, so I have a workout shirt that I put on for the drive back while my body is cooling down (and still sweating) before I put my work shirt back on.

eat at desk when I get back.

Obviously, it's easier when it's a swim day....5 minutes the other way, 3-4 to change..swim for 30...and so on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work out before work (cycle on trainer), then during lunch (run), and after work (swim).

I work a finance job and it is actually a really nice break. My boss is a cyclist so he doesn't care. Usually take an 1:15. The gym is in my building with showers so it makes it easier. I am WAY more productive after and find I don't snack or get hungry or crash as I would if I didn't workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to either run or swim during lunch when I was doing IM. The men's room in our office had a shower and then I'd eat at my desk afterwards while working. In addition to a quick cold shower to help cool down, I also had a fan at my desk. The pool was conveniently located across the street, so same deal where a quick shower afterwards.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pop-up shower tent, hanging portable shower bag, and 2-in-1 shampoo/body wash. You can get soaped up and rinsed off with very little water and very quickly. Perfect if you have to drive home from training or racing too. Get one with a wider base and as tall as possible or you'll be kneeling to get the water spout lower than the bag!

Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a very well equipped work gym literally 1 min walk away - includes 4 watt bikes as well as all the usual treadmills etc. We also have permanent lockers and a drying (warm) room.

The lunchtime workout is one of my staples, and makes 'twice a day' easily achievable, alongside a workout before or after work.

I can take longer than an hour, but it's all about being efficient in that time, so tricks I have picked up over time
- everything prepped and ready for the particular workout in my locker before work - ie ready to grab, no rooting around in your bag etc
- use all time efficiencies you can (eg have your workout gear on under work clothes - this can be done because all our meetings are audio conferences, so we have no real dress code)
- I can usually nip out for 2/3 mins during the morning between calls to set up the watt bike position in advance - 99% of the time it'll still be in position at lunchtime and I can just hop on
- ramp up sharply during the warm up, so you get into the workout proper quickly.
- If time crunched, chop the time off recoveries rather than the work intervals to fit it in
- I use anti bacterial wipes after, think it gets you pretty clean and certainly deals with any odours
- grab lunch on way back to desk, eat at desk while working

Appreciate I'm pretty lucky to be able to do this, not sure how applicable it is in other circumstances
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
If you’re limited to 30 mins, as others said, run would be a challenge.

You could work on your conditioning though, without breaking a sweat or needing a drastic change of clothes. Some stretching, plyometrics, core work, foam rollers... the stuff that a lot of us push to bottom of the priority list but probably shouldn’t...

+1

This is the perfect time to do prehab and rehab work to keep yourself in tiptop shape. Save the runs/swims/bikes for times when you aren't as time crunched.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [cmikesell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmikesell wrote:
Pop-up shower tent, hanging portable shower bag, and 2-in-1 shampoo/body wash. You can get soaped up and rinsed off with very little water and very quickly. Perfect if you have to drive home from training or racing too. Get one with a wider base and as tall as possible or you'll be kneeling to get the water spout lower than the bag!

Do you actually do/use this? I saw this option as well, but I question how realistic it is to use and do - although I'll become a believer if you or others actually use it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do workouts at a downtown airport near work. Completely drenched in sweat afterwards.

I had a camping shower that I would fill, hose down after the workout, towel off and partially dress (shorts on - no shirt) to drive back to the office with AC full blast. In the parking lot I would get dressed the rest of the way with AC on. Then make a mad dash inside with bathroom supplies to be presentable for work and try and stop sweating. Cleaning wipes (duke cannon field wipes are awesome - https://amzn.to/2MA5XB0) were great to mop up with until I stopped sweating. Also had a small powerful desk fan. I did have to schedule these for days without immediate afternoon meetings after lunch cause I'm a heavy sweat type person.

You do what you have to!

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say do it! I keep Shower Pills in my car for quick wipe downs, and then get dressed again. They are like large anti-bacterial baby wipes. I buy them in large quantity on amazon. I also have Degree deodorant + a little spritz if needed.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For any ladies reading, here's what I do. CAVEAT that I'm blessed with a free fancy ass gym in my work building that is equipped with full locker room, showers, towel service, (+ spin/yoga classes, Crossfit if you're into that), etc. So it's a 30-second elevator ride to get there and back.

But, in terms of cleaning up afterwards, I do shower after, but don't get my face or hair wet. I take a blowdryer (again, provided by the gym) on cool setting to dry the sweat on my head and throw my hair in a bun after. I also pack a few makeup items to touch up afterwards - just powder foundation and eye shadow touch ups. And obviously fresh deo.
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:

But, in terms of cleaning up afterwards, I do shower after, but don't get my face or hair wet. I take a blowdryer (again, provided by the gym) on cool setting to dry the sweat on my head and throw my hair in a bun after. I also pack a few makeup items to touch up afterwards - just powder foundation and eye shadow touch ups. And obviously fresh deo.

Yep - that's me. I have a gym across the street with all the bells and whistles. I'm also blessed that my boss doesn't really care if I'm gone for 1-2 hours midday. I make up for it by coming in early or staying late.

Probably doesn't work for teachers, but I find if I'm upfront with my boss about my training and goals, they're usually super supportive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been doing the lunch time workouts for over 10 years. Used to have a lunch hour which was great, now I'm down to 30 min. I bring a shower towel, soak it in a sink, and wipe down all over. I use some paper towels from the bathroom to dry off and if it's really hot, I wave my shirt like I'm trying to flatten a bed sheet to get some more "breeze" over myself. It's not ideal and my wife hates the soaking wet towel, but without a shower and no time to waste that's what I do.

The key to cooling off quickly is, as soon as you're done, drink as much cold water as you can, usually about 16 oz for me. After you clean up, drink some more and it will cool your core quickly.

good luck

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got 30mins for a run or 30mins in total, if the latter then forget about it. You can't baby-wipe yourself, you'll be dripping with sweat after a short run on the treadmill, I look like I stepped out the shower. Maybe just go 20mins flat out, 10mins for a shower.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 9, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Lunch Break Workouts [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim during my lunch breaks (3x a week - Monday/Weds/Friday)

Office desk to pool is 10 mins -- so I can get a 30 min swim, 20 mins commute, 10 min change/shower - so 1 hour even.

For last 2 months for Ironman build - swims obviously get longer. I stretch it up to 1:30 lunch break with the same overhead (20 min commute + 10 min change/shower). I will throw a 4th swim on a weekend day as well.

I have a set system for changing/showering -- it is pretty efficient. I tell my boss, coworkers, employees I am training for an Ironman and all are pretty supportive. I block my work calendar off as well.
Quote Reply