Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lucy Charles
Quote | Reply
Definitely deserves her own thread considering LS has about 6 after a similar performance.

She's young enough and fresh enough to make enough improvments to be a real threat in the future.

Nailed on to have a couple of Kona wins under her belt by the time she's 30?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).

I kept hearing this on the broadcast too. Ryf came to Sutton with many years of training in her legs, and she's been ready for the training. Lucy is fairly new to run training, and will gain both durability and experience as her body is able to take the training. She ran VERY well today, after leading the whole race doing her own thing very maturely all day. Daniela won't be able to cut much into that swim lead (she was pointy end of the swim before Lucy and Lauren came on the scene) but Lucy will continue to improve at the other sports.

Sarah Crowley said on a podcast that this year is the first year she's been able to take much training load as well. I expect continued improvement from her as well. I love Daniela, believe me, but to say it's up to her how long and how many she wins is ignoring two pretty impressive races from some girls who have much room for improvement.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charles is a surprise for many, since she's still relatively new to triathlon and hasn't been big at blowing her own trumpet. She's a phenomenal swimmer and is still coming into her own on the run.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, Lucy will be a force to be reconned with. Alot of people where talking about her in to the lead up of this race but didnt think she had the run to win (just yet)
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll admit, i didn’t rate her chances of having a good race. Boy was I wrong. She can definitely bike and run. And she can run well in the heat. With the amount of footage of her during the bike, her sponsors should be very very pleased.
She seemed to be a very smart racer too.

It will be interesting to see how she improves. I would love to see her do a wire to wire win in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if she could just fix that f***ing helmet chin strap! she'd have won, for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing race. She didn't have the best bike position and also fidgeted all over the place on the bike.

Big firepower, for sure.

Trent Nix
Tri Shop - Plano, Texas
http://www.trishop.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter - Fit Portfolio
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
if she could just fix that f***ing helmet chin strap! she'd have won, for sure.

I thought just that ...

But I was not entirely surprised by her performance. I imagined a top 5. Probably a place in the podium. But I imagined a completely different race. First of the water, but I thought she would lose some positions in the bike segment, to recover in the run.

Very Nice!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I’ll admit, i didn’t rate her chances of having a good race. Boy was I wrong. She can definitely bike and run. And she can run well in the heat. With the amount of footage of her during the bike, her sponsors should be very very pleased.
She seemed to be a very smart racer too.

It will be interesting to see how she improves. I would love to see her do a wire to wire win in Kona.

Same here, boy was I wrong. Think those of us doubting her, weren't doubting her talent/abilities. At least I wasn't, I was more predicting that being on the big stage was going to be a new experience and wasn't sure how she was going to handle it. Only thing I was surprised by was that she didn't make LB come to the front at all, would have thought she would have at least let her put her nose to the wind and see if she was willing to do some work at the front.

Well she handled it very very well, hats off to her.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Coached By: Scott DeFilippis
Team RWB Ambassador | Deals & Discounts from Sponsors
Supported by: Clever Training| Kiwami Tri | Precision Hydration | | blueseventy | ISM | Canyon| Ceramic Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I wasn’t the only one who was so bothered by that.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x4
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).

You can not be serious, in fact I'll say the total reverse, that 2017 was Ryf's LAST WIN. Lucy will blow her away next year and Ryf won't be within sniffing distance after the first 50 meters of the swim. Lucy will lead wire to wire and dominate the sport for as many years as she wants to train hard. There has never been another female swimmer to come into iron racing with her distance swimming resume (read BIG ENGINE), and she's going to ride her first OOTW all the way next year, and in years to come. She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year. She'll make Paula, Chrissie, and Ryf look like rank amateurs.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).


You can not be serious, in fact I'll say the total reverse, that 2017 was Ryf's LAST WIN. Lucy will blow her away next year and Ryf won't be within sniffing distance after the first 50 meters of the swim. Lucy will lead wire to wire and dominate the sport for as many years as she wants to train hard. There has never been another female swimmer to come into iron racing with her distance swimming resume (read BIG ENGINE), and she's going to ride her first OOTW all the way next year, and in years to come. She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year. She'll make Paula, Chrissie, and Ryf look like rank amateurs.

I think her bike will keep getting even better, and it really won't matter how much she shaved down the run. She's already 3:0x. She's going to get close to 3 flat and her bike probably has another 10+ minutes of improvement over time. I won't go to the same extent as you, but i think it's pretty well even with Ryf in the future as she matures as a long course athlete. Hopefully next year she does not have Lanzarote AND Frankfurt and a zillion 70.3's under her belt. I like how Lionel did it this year....basically between Arizona and various 70.3's he accrued enough points.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does yesterday mean for Lucy (and Lionel) financially?

Any insights into how their existing contracts might reward yesterday’s performances ? Are they spending this week negotiating sponsorship agreements for 2018?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).


You can not be serious, in fact I'll say the total reverse, that 2017 was Ryf's LAST WIN. Lucy will blow her away next year and Ryf won't be within sniffing distance after the first 50 meters of the swim. Lucy will lead wire to wire and dominate the sport for as many years as she wants to train hard. There has never been another female swimmer to come into iron racing with her distance swimming resume (read BIG ENGINE), and she's going to ride her first OOTW all the way next year, and in years to come. She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year. She'll make Paula, Chrissie, and Ryf look like rank amateurs.


I think her bike will keep getting even better, and it really won't matter how much she shaved down the run. She's already 3:0x. She's going to get close to 3 flat and her bike probably has another 10+ minutes of improvement over time. I won't go to the same extent as you, but i think it's pretty well even with Ryf in the future as she matures as a long course athlete. Hopefully next year she does not have Lanzarote AND Frankfurt and a zillion 70.3's under her belt. I like how Lionel did it this year....basically between Arizona and various 70.3's he accrued enough points.

Well, maybe I did go a bit overboard but you know how I like to root for the swimmers, and Lucy is a SWIMMER if I've ever seen one!!!


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
What does yesterday mean for Lucy (and Lionel) financially?

Any insights into how their existing contracts might reward yesterday’s performances ? Are they spending this week negotiating sponsorship agreements for 2018?

Scott

This is a great question. Bumping in hopes we get some insights...
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She deserves an actual WEBSITE too. She's what, 24? Her website looks like it was designed the same day she was born.
Someone needs to let her make some money with clicks to Amazon, sell sponsor products, etc. She did so awesome she deserves to get some awesome rewards.

strava
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I'm serious. Ryf can and will ride better than she did on Saturday. Lucy is a stud and on her way up and these two will have some battles I'm sure. And I'd love to see someone push Ryf rather than her killing the field the way she has the last 3 years (13, 24, and 9 minute victories). But right now Lucy is 9 minutes back from Ryf despite Daniela not riding well for the first 87 miles. Did you watch the race, or just salivate over the top swimmers like you always do?

Also, how is Lucy going to break 8:30? She'd basically have to break the course swim, bike, and run record all in the same race.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Oct 15, 17 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Yup, I'm serious. Ryf can and will ride better than she did on Saturday. Lucy is a stud and on her way up and these two will have some battles I'm sure. But right now Lucy is 9 minutes back from Ryf despite Daniela not riding well for the first 87 miles. Did you watch the race, or just salivate over the top swimmers like you always do?
So how much you wanna bet on Lucy blowing away Ryf and the latter not being within sniffing distance? If they both arrive health and there are no mechs, I'd be willing to put a couple hundred on the line.

I did not watch the race, not even the swim; i do not own a TV and video over my old computer is problematic. I just looked at the results online but i don't really see how you think you can tell that Ryf did not ride well, just from video. I'm not going to get into any internet betting scheme but I still say Lucy is the better athlete and will dominate from here on out, but just my $0.02 worth.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I edited my post. The betting thing was more of a "are you serious comment" rather than an actual challenge so I took it out. You can tell from the race as Ryf was not able to make up any ground on Lucy In The first 87 (and was losing ground for a bit). You could tell that she wasn't riding as well as she previously had. Ryf has a very large body of evidence in terms of 70.3 and IM races so we know what to expect of her. But then she was able to turn it on for the last 25. When she did finally find gear stroke she made up ground and made the pass very quickly. They showed that on the online coverage. You can read a little about it on the front page article.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
She deserves an actual WEBSITE too. She's what, 24? Her website looks like it was designed the same day she was born.
Someone needs to let her make some money with clicks to Amazon, sell sponsor products, etc. She did so awesome she deserves to get some awesome rewards.

I think that is a old website of hers. She has this one which I think is one of the better pro websites out there: http://lucycharles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
She deserves an actual WEBSITE too. She's what, 24? Her website looks like it was designed the same day she was born.
Someone needs to let her make some money with clicks to Amazon, sell sponsor products, etc. She did so awesome she deserves to get some awesome rewards.


Very well said.
She needs and agent actually.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As stated above, you guys are looking at her old website. Her current one is much different, has links to all her sponsors, and includes contact info for her management....
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you look closely she's probably just missing a headline sponsor... Head to her proper website as mentioned and you'll see she has great support.

Don't worry about her, she is being looked after by Richard malik who managed to keep the sponsors on board for his elite amateur Team FreeSpeed for years now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next