Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lucy Charles Here [Lucy Charles] [ In reply to ]

Its these types of videos that makes pro training look so "fun"!!!! Sure, its hard work, but how many different venues did you get to train in? Tat would seem to keep things interesting!

I only have about 5 and all are boring!!! My workout room (bike trainer), the gym (lift/treadmill), the pool at gym, roads near my house for running, slightly wider scope of roads for riding.

Can't wait to see you break 2:50 in the marathon....there I said it first..now it will happen because I am psychic :) heheh Seriously I wish you a happy, injury free year!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"

Re: Lucy Charles Here [monty] [ In reply to ]

Thanks everyone,

With regards to the ITU/Olympics question, I’ve been thinking about it for a while and have been tempted more as my shorter PB’s came down. However, combine a unrealistic pathway set by British Triathlon for an outsider like myself to qualify with coming so close to that top step in Kona 3 years in a row. It has kept me super driven to pursue the longer distance path for now.

Unfortunately the ship has long sailed for Tokyo 2020, but I’ve not ruled out for future years.

Good luck this year. Looks like you are working hard. Keep the videos coming.

Welcome to Slowtwitch! Have you finalized your 2020 race schedule? If so, what is it?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com

Welcome to the, Slowtwitch Forum Lucy.

Best wishes for a great 2020!

See you in Kona in October.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

glad another awesome pro is here!

can you tell us at all about how you use the integrated hydration on the new shiv for your nutrition for long course?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador

Loved watching the coverage of the race at Kona via the live cast which feature you a lot as you were up front most of the way and with the super gutsy finish reclaiming 2nd place at the end I think you earned even more fans. Your Youtube stuff is always entertaining as well. You guys seem to genuinely enjoy what you're doing, or at least do a good job portraying it that way.

With your swim background do you think you put less time into swim training throughout the year than your competitors? Is it always your intent to go off upfront by yourself so no one is drafting off you and you can get the mental edge of starting off the bike with some time between you and the next athlete? That's assuming if you went a bit slower on the swim maybe you'd have more later on if needed. I don't think many people can choose to just be in the front, at least not without burning too many candles, so I just didn't know what your thoughts were on that ability. In the video you guys were vague in regards to this years plan about keep doing what works and change up some other things, is there anything in particular you are looking to improve that you can share?

welcome aboard Lucy... so...…. got any swim tips? you're really fast. i'm really slow! need some help LOL

Re: Lucy Charles Here [jond81] [ In reply to ]

jond81 wrote:
Loved watching the coverage of the race at Kona via the live cast which feature you a lot as you were up front most of the way and with the super gutsy finish reclaiming 2nd place at the end I think you earned even more fans. Your Youtube stuff is always entertaining as well. You guys seem to genuinely enjoy what you're doing, or at least do a good job portraying it that way.

With your swim background do you think you put less time into swim training throughout the year than your competitors? Is it always your intent to go off upfront by yourself so no one is drafting off you and you can get the mental edge of starting off the bike with some time between you and the next athlete? That's assuming if you went a bit slower on the swim maybe you'd have more later on if needed. I don't think many people can choose to just be in the front, at least not without burning too many candles, so I just didn't know what your thoughts were on that ability. In the video you guys were vague in regards to this years plan about keep doing what works and change up some other things, is there anything in particular you are looking to improve that you can share?

I get asked this question a lot. I genuinely find it more difficult to swim slowly because I sit lower in the water and therefore end up putting in equal effort resisting more drag. So equal effort for a much slower pace. It might appear that I’m working really hard to break away from the pack but I’m actually in cruise control, I’m aware it’s a very long day!. I experimented with swimming slower at 70.3 words last year with the intention of some of the faster pack swimmers to latch on, however they couldn’t and it felt like I was purposely slowing down for no real gain.

Lucy Charles wrote:
jond81 wrote:

I get asked this question a lot. I genuinely find it more difficult to swim slowly because I sit lower in the water and therefore end up putting in equal effort resisting more drag. So equal effort for a much slower pace. It might appear that I’m working really hard to break away from the pack but I’m actually in cruise control, I’m aware it’s a very long day!. I experimented with swimming slower at 70.3 words last year with the intention of some of the faster pack swimmers to latch on, however they couldn’t and it felt like I was purposely slowing down for no real gain.

Yeah, I have this problem a lot...slowing down but no one can catch me.

Lucy Charles wrote:
Thanks everyone,

With regards to the ITU/Olympics question, I’ve been thinking about it for a while and have been tempted more as my shorter PB’s came down. However, combine a unrealistic pathway set by British Triathlon for an outsider like myself to qualify with coming so close to that top step in Kona 3 years in a row. It has kept me super driven to pursue the longer distance path for now.

Unfortunately the ship has long sailed for Tokyo 2020, but I’ve not ruled out for future years.

But hopefully we can see you do at least 1 ITU race?

Just wanted to let you know that you are inspiring the next generation of athletes.
There are a few athletes my daughter cheers for - Lucy Charles and Lucy Bronze included - she is also a Lucy but I don't think she is biased to the name, just to strong British athletes.
Good luck for 2020.

Sorry Lucy, got to agree with Reese - Christmas Eve is just the evening, not the whole day!

Lucy Charles wrote:
Hi all. Hope you’re all working hard,

I’m new to slowtwtich, but have heard all about the various Lionel threads ;-) Just posted a new video on YouTube, hope you like it. Will endeavour to post on here whenever we have new content.

Hi Lucy, welcome to ST! Big fan but I might be a bigger fan of your pup :)

Curious: how do you like traveling with your Shiv? What kind of case do you use?

Welcome!

That cribs episode made me realise that you are one of the most fun pros and been fan since..... Pure born racer with personality

Unfortunately the ship has long sailed for Tokyo 2020, but I’ve not ruled out for future years. //

Ya, figured that ITU was out for awhile, but I was wondering if you had thought about Super League? I'm sure they would love to have you there, but of course it would require a bit of sprint focus for a bit. It just looks so dam fun, I wish something like this was around and viable back in my day, I would have done anything to do that format, and for good money too!! But I'm always of the mind that you can do both in a season, especially if the sprint is early in the year. There is plenty of time to get ready for Kona, too much time for many actually.

And I see in your video that you train a lot with Reese, and it appeared that he was leading most of the 100/100 swims? Is he an equal or better swimmer than you are at the moment? Did look like once in awhile you guys may have switched leads, what is his swim background? And also looks like he runs pretty well too, so a very good training partner I would guess. But how does that dynamic play out in the house, being partners and training buddies?
Last edited by: monty: Jan 9, 20 16:54

I usually just lurk, but I have learned a ton from this forum. Welcome to Slowtwitch, I have been a big fan for a couple of years now, and it was great meeting you and Reece in Daytona.
Last edited by: Jamie73: Jan 9, 20 17:47

Lucy Charles wrote:
It was 50m pool off 1:30 hitting ~ 1:16

Hey did you beat Lionel to the 200m buoy at Challenge Daytona opening with a 200 fly? (just to tie in the Lionel angle).

How many meters per week are you swimming in your Kona build?

More puppies for Kona podiums again this year?

Wow. I can't believe I'm replying to Lucy FREAKING Charles. Great YouTube content BTW. You have one lucky puppy there, getting to run and swim with you and even travel in that sweet van, you just need to get him on the bike and we'd be all set!

Great to have you on the forum. Enjoy watching your videos and seeing you race.

Let food be thy medicine...

monty wrote:
Unfortunately the ship has long sailed for Tokyo 2020, but I’ve not ruled out for future years. //

Ya, figured that ITU was out for awhile, but I was wondering if you had thought about Super League? I'm sure they would love to have you there, but of course it would require a bit of sprint focus for a bit. It just looks so dam fun, I wish something like this was around and viable back in my day, I would have done anything to do that format, and for good money too!! But I'm always of the mind that you can do both in a season, especially if the sprint is early in the year. There is plenty of time to get ready for Kona, too much time for many actually.

And I see in your video that you train a lot with Reese, and it appeared that he was leading most of the 100/100 swims? Is he an equal or better swimmer than you are at the moment? Did look like once in awhile you guys may have switched leads, what is his swim background? And also looks like he runs pretty well too, so a very good training partner I would guess. But how does that dynamic play out in the house, being partners and training buddies?

Big fan of super league, and would love to try it if the schedule works.

Reece used to swim 50s and 100m freestyle, he is normally faster than me in the pool but he doesn’t have an open water swimming technique or background. Over longer distances and especially in open water I have the upper hand. Makes for good ‘rivalry’ because he is faster up to about 800m, we’re even over 1500-1900, anything over that I tend to beat him. He is a great running partner, he ran 2:34 at London Marathon last year and has recently been training full time as a professional triathlete too.

The dynamic of husband/training partner/coach works very well for us. Perhaps we can answer a few of these questions in more detail in upcoming videos.

Re: Lucy Charles Here [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

Least you're honest about it ;-) We've got a real treasure here, don't scare her away please!

In all seriousness, welcome Lucy! It's always great when pro's do more to interact with their fans, even if it's super time-consuming. We all really appreciate it!
Last edited by: jaredhartshorn: Jan 10, 20 1:27

Lucy Charles wrote:
jond81 wrote:

This is really interesting and explains in part why bad swimmers swim doubly bad (like me). If you're faster your position is better so you win in both ways. Of course you must be able to swim faster, and slow AOS's like me are often not able because we get out of breath. Seems a locked door.
However, lately I changed my swimming in that:
-I swim more (instead of 3k a week average 6k average with weeks of 10k);
-I increased stroke frequency. I saw a video of a coach who said 90 % of AOS swimmers have a too low frequency. Surprisingly I am able to do this and do not get out of breath. Probably because the breath frequency increases too.

So the frequency increase together with the buoyancy effect Lucy mentions, I could maybe get out of my stagnation I'm in since years. As a matter of fact I improved my PB on 400m with pullbuoy the day before yesterday with 10s, which is a lot.

(PS I'm also working on this 2/3 breathing on which a thread here is running, but I do not know if that is something for me: it seems to be more strenuous than normal breathing every 2 strokes for me)

Prev Next