Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lubbock is a go!
Quote | Reply
Learned today that it looks like Lubbock is a go! I was surprised but intrigued. Is anyone out there planning to head down there in a few weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race could be one of the rare races that could go ahead because I think it’s the least attended IM70.3 race in the US (at least the prior incarnation as Buffalo Springs). I think it averaged 800 or so the last few years. Add COVID fears and maybe 400 show up. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I still don’t think it happens though.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie is suppose to happen as well. Indiana wants the event to happen.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the whole article, it’s not “a go.” They’ve been told by to continue to plan on having the race on June 28. All that means is they haven’t cancelled it yet.

I’m still skeptical it happens, but if it does I’ll probably race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granted - things can always change. But from what I'm learning, this one looks like it's going to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This race could be one of the rare races that could go ahead because I think it’s the least attended IM70.3 race in the US (at least the prior incarnation as Buffalo Springs). I think it averaged 800 or so the last few years. Add COVID fears and maybe 400 show up. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's how us Texans roll. Lubbock 70.3 will most likely happen. There's a bike rally called Ride of Honor starting from Texas Motor Speedway on 6/13 and they posted on Facebook saying that they will NOT cancel the event. Somebody has to start something, so they are it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

That's how us Texans roll. Lubbock 70.3 will most likely happen. There's a bike rally called Ride of Honor starting from Texas Motor Speedway on 6/13 and they posted on Facebook saying that they will NOT cancel the event. Somebody has to start something, so they are it.

Wait wait...all the high rent market for the caves we are hiding in...the market for those caves will collapse....we can't let the proletariat out from the caves !!!! <pink font>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the governor’s phased reopening plan (which currently only has guidance through May 31), there’s no chance it goes on. It’s still small gathering stuff that’s allowable. Obviously we don’t know what the June guidance will look like but I did see competitive sports is prohibited until June 15th. My guess that doesn’t include things like endurance events with hundreds or thousands of people.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Director seems doggone confident. City behind it. Stay tuned!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll go, but I’m not signing up until I know for sure it’s going to happen. I have done the Buffalo Springs version 6-7 times, but I have not been back since they moved it to town. What’s the swim like? Water temps?

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stolen from a meme:

"People are shocked Texas wants to open back up. Let me try to explain it. Five years ago, Blue Bell literally killed us with their contaminated ice cream, and all we cared about was when we would get our next 1/2 gallon. It's what we do"

Short of the whole region being maxed out on ICU beds, I don't see it getting cancelled. At the moment, they have only had 2 days of over 10 new cases. It's been two weeks since the last recorded fatality. Most of those came from a few nursing homes that got slammed. Add onto that that there are so few recorded instances of outdoor transmission, and I don't see them cancelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the olympic the day before last year. Water was warm, but wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much smaller lake with less chop than BSLT. Will be wetsuit legal. Marti and Mike have a solid plan that is supported by the community. State restrictions will relax over the next five weeks. It will be windy and hot in west Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

That's awesome news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are going to be many people on this forum who will be surprised races take place this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
I think there are going to be many people on this forum who will be surprised races take place this year.

I can think of at least a few, ha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked on the race website and FB page and didn't see any info regarding a mitigation plan, adjustments to the race format, protocols, etc. related to the efforts to prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.

I realize I'm not a macho Texan, but the details of such plans are going to be crucial to me in making a decision to do a race this summer. I'm eager to return to racing, but I want to see that detailed info before registering. Is that info posted somewhere that I missed? Thanks.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 27, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not trying to derail, but being in texas and relatively new to the sport i have looked at buffalo springs / lubbock and decided against it in the past. its in the middle of nowhere essentially, nothing to do outside the race in lubbock really, and for me it would be a LONG drive from the houston area and a long drive home (or fly in and rent a car + bike flight expense). on top of that when ive looked in the past there doesnt seem to be anywhere really "good" to rent for the long weekend.

i will admit when i race i want a long weekend with something to do outside the race... mini racecation essentially.

am i missing something?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: May 27, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t done the (relatively) new course, but the old one was one of my favorites anywhere. Race directors are outstanding, conditions Kona-like, and its drivable first us here in Colorado so no shipping bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon - it certainly doesn’t have the allure of some of the fun metro area races. But this one is a true classic. And the old iteration was hard as fuck.

If you are relatively new to the sport you may not remember that before 2012-ish there were not nearly as many races. There were a handful of 70.3s that were so hard they had Kona slots in addition to the 70.3 world slots. These were Eagleman, St. Croix and Lubbock. I’ve not done Kona but many say the old Lubbock course was a good approximation of it. The gusty winds, heat and climbs were a true test. Lots of pros used to race out there.

I think around 2013 or 14 - the first year I did it - the temps on the run hit around 110 degrees. There was even a portion called the Energy Lab that reminded many of that same section at Kona because it was so barren and hot.

Anyway - the Greers - race directors - are true pillars of the tri community in Texas. If they can put this race on they will.

I live in Austin and it’s a 6 hour drive for me each way. But I’ll do it this year if it happens.

Cheers,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark - good questions. I just got an email from the race directors (I’m assuming it went to people who had already registered) and it addresses this topic at a high level. It also referenced protocols that Ironman will put in place that are still in the works.

I won’t post the whole email here but these are the pertinent portions:

Be sure to visit our website for all important race information. IRONMAN will be issuing an Event Readiness protocol very shortly and when we have that we will share it with you, our athletes.

A few new race protocols to wrap your head around: contactless aid stations, increased transition spacing, and you will remove your own wetsuit.

Like you I want to know more. I’m eager to see what they will do to make this happen.

Best,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug, thanks a lot for that! ive read its a very hard race, much MUCH different than galveston type courses that i kinda gravitate towards since i live in the flatlands.

i may try and get this one done one year just for the challenge.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
not trying to derail, but being in texas and relatively new to the sport i have looked at buffalo springs / lubbock and decided against it in the past. its in the middle of nowhere essentially, nothing to do outside the race in lubbock really....

Out of curiosity, what kind of things woud you like to see in Lubbock to do outside of the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock is a go! [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
not trying to derail, but being in texas and relatively new to the sport i have looked at buffalo springs / lubbock and decided against it in the past. its in the middle of nowhere essentially, nothing to do outside the race in lubbock really....

Out of curiosity, what kind of things woud you like to see in Lubbock to do outside of the race?

if i were local it wouldnt be a big deal, but if im driving all the way there, and if i bring my kiddo with me id like there to be something "family oriented" and fun to do. ive been in lubbock just passing through staying for the night and looking around for things to do just for an evening its hard to find even a nicer restaurant to eat at.

i did waco last year and really loved the race and the general venue, but as far as fun things to go do outside the race the area didnt offer much. im not sure ill ever do that one again.

i cant fault the race in lubbock itself as ive always read it was a great race, its just my needs outside the race for entertainment.

Quote Reply

Prev Next