Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower front = more drag???
Quote | Reply
I picked up a used P5 and it had the High V mount for the aerobars which made the saddle to aerobar pads drop a lot less than what I usually run for sprint triathlons. Typically I run 10ish cm of drop from saddle to the aerobar pads and with the high V mount my drop was just a little over 4 cm. I found a low mount and while I was waiting on that to be delivered I did a local course (29 miles of mostly rolling hills) with the high V mount still in place at 184 avg watts, 19.5 mph. Low bars came, I installed those which gives me a little over 8.5cm of drop, rode again doing the same course at slightly lower watts (180w) but the speed was down to 18.6 mph. This was slower than I was expecting. Temperature was the same both days, although the humidity was 20% higher on the slower day, winds were minimal both days (3mph avg wind on the "fast" day and 1 mph on the "slow" day). And to confuse things further I did have a helmet mounted light on the slower day which could have accounted for some of the drag. Otherwise the setup was really similar.

I need to gather more data but changing from high to low mount is kind of a pain! Could going from 4 cm to 8.5 cm of drop create more drag? Trying to decide if I should switch it back. Thanks.
Last edited by: 2wheels: Jul 28, 19 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Lower front = more drag??? [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could - absolutely

But as you allude to, you need to do a fair bit more stringent testing to know for sure. But lower doesn't necessarily mean better.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very hard time finding a low position because my body type just doesn't allow it. Most people who fit me who think about aero, aero, aero always try to get me lower. Anecdotally, John Cobb, as one of his athletes, fit me personally with a vested interest of making me the fastest possible version of myself. He told me he wanted me upright, that I couldn't be slammed... That to this day was the fastest position I ever had. I have gone to the wind-tunnel a couple of times just to play around. Here is my only published wind-tunnel example where moving me up actually made me faster. Also it was makeshift and actually added more A to the CdA as well because we did it crudely with just additional pads to keep the change fast in the tunnel.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was Kirk Willett who used to laugh at people talking about dropping the bars 1-2 cm and saving 20 watts. His back-of-the-envelope calculations and experiences at San Diego put the typical savings at a watt or 2.

It is personal, but I think a lot of people start going slower in low positions because you lift your head too much to see up the road. Your 10cm of drop is pretty aggressive unless you are taller than 6 ft. I would do a mental check and see if you are straining to look up the road and lifting your head more in the lower position

Being narrow and a low head position is probably almost always better than trying to drop those last few cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower front = more drag??? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my experience too. The main reason for the super slammed position is that it looks cool with no rider on it.
I have short legs so my saddle is not very high but my cda is low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is very much an it depends argument in aero.
As others have said lower front almost always means head comes up and more drag.

Personally for me though lower is better as it acts to shield my legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically we've seen low is faster until it's not. Sometimes higher is faster until it's not. Comfort is important.

1 ride doesn't tell you anything too many variables (at least you didn't mention anything about controlling variables other than height)

You're going to need to do a lot of A/B field testing to really know the answer

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
Could going from 4 cm to 8.5 cm of drop create more drag?

Yes, depending on what you did to compensate for that change. Pad height doesn't dictate your torso angle, or anything else really. Posture is the important thing... how you hold your back, shoulders, neck, head, etc.

My guess is that the *minimum* drop that allows you to acheive a level torso will end up being fastest most of the time.

But you also didn't do a proper test to see which was best, so...
Quote Reply
Re: Lower front = more drag??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did my own little experiment with adding pads to get me back higher, snapped some photos, and my trunk angle in the higher position is really really close to the angle you have on your web site wind tunnel photo. Hmm....... In my lower position my back is almost flat. It's hard for me to get my head around how a flat back could be slower, but the numbers don't lie. Thanks!!! I may switch it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower front = more drag??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Typically we've seen low is faster until it's not. Sometimes higher is faster until it's not. Comfort is important.

1 ride doesn't tell you anything too many variables (at least you didn't mention anything about controlling variables other than height)

You're going to need to do a lot of A/B field testing to really know the answer

Is lower or higher faster?

Yes :D

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
but the numbers don't lie.

Given everything you said about the helmet mount etc I'd not believe those #s. Now I may not not believe them either. In fact until I did more testing, much more testing in fact.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the same reason you can be more aero on the pads on a road bike than a drop position if your drop position is a big scoop with your drops way too low.

This guy's low pad position was creating a lot of drag (but hey, you can still win the Tour de France that way)

and this guy finishing second on the TdF

You can see how they would both benefit from a higher pad position to get more like this position:

Levi's high pad position but more like the speed skier

Granted Levi's arms are like a T Rex but you get the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower front = more drag??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
2wheels wrote:
but the numbers don't lie.

Given everything you said about the helmet mount etc I'd not believe those #s. Now I may not not believe them either. In fact until I did more testing, much more testing in fact.

Yeah it wasn’t enough tests to make a real conclusion.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am fortunate as I have 2 devices that allow me to get pretty accurate drag numbers on the road.

I do a 15km TT every 2nd or 3rd week. Last Thursday was my fourth of the season.
I control the variables quite closely. Same skit suit, same helmet, device measures temperature and air density, wind....

Last week I raised my pads by a whopping 4cm. My ability to generate power went up by 13watts and I know this is NOT because of training. It is entirely comfort in the new position.

My drag went up by .008 which is significant, but my overall time dropped 19 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
I just did my own little experiment with adding pads to get me back higher, snapped some photos, and my trunk angle in the higher position is really really close to the angle you have on your web site wind tunnel photo. Hmm....... In my lower position my back is almost flat.

Now get your back flat with the higher position. Levi's photo is a clue.

He doesn't have T-rex arms. It's posture.
Quote Reply