Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower Leg/Foot Pain/Numbness
Quote | Reply
Started off around a year ago mild lack of feeling/numbness in my right leg only really during and immediately post running
Was irritating rather than particularly troublesome and I was generally able to run, cycling and swimming unaffected
Condition deteriorated after taking a fall at the end of a long run (3 hrs) banged shoulder hip and most importantly knee pretty much on the tibia/fibular joint
Symptoms worsened and since that point have not really been able to run 30 mins
Suspicion is that there was some underlying nerve issue at low level and the knock impacted the peroneal nerve
Was always decidedly right side that was the issue
However of late left developed symptoms similar but more pronounced to the point where there is now almost constant symptoms in left and right only when I run and impacting my ability to cycle too
I have had MRI scan on right knee which showed nothing apart from a normal level of wear and tear
MRI of lumbar spine showed some disc herniation which was felt worth a nerve block to see if that could resolve
The nerve block caused no improvement and if anything symptoms have worsened since (although that could have happened anyway)
Possible next steps are nerve conduction studies and possibly treatment with pregabalin or similar
Anybody had anything similar and/or any suggestions?
Thanks
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg/Foot Pain/Numbness [psheen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower leg issues in the absence of trauma should have the spine ruled out first before doing anything else. Now since pain has switched sides I’m increasingly suspicious of the lumbar spine. Imaging in these cases is relatively useless as the condition is transient. Why physicians jump to imaging is baffling. And now to jump to lyrica for treatment implies that no one knows what else to do so they attempt to alleviate peripheral symptoms with a large central effect. This medication has risks and side effects, look them up.

For treatment you should see a PT, preferably McKenzie credentialed. You are describing a mechanical problem that needs a mechanical treatment, PT should be your answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg/Foot Pain/Numbness [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andrew
Thanks for your info much appreciated.
PT as in Physiotherapist I presume
Out of interest why do you recommend McKenzie ?
Yeah I have read around Lyrica not something to be taken lightly
Thanks
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg/Foot Pain/Numbness [psheen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The McKenzie approach uses a very methodical mechanical approach irrespective of imaging and tissue based diagnoses. It truly tries to identify a mechanical problem and then the specific exercises that will abolish the signs and symptoms experienced.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Leg/Foot Pain/Numbness [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks
Very interesting I’ll take a look into it
Quote Reply