Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low profile dust cap for "old" shiv
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am looking for options to go a bit lower in my Shiv cockpit. I already have a -20º stem, and all spacers removed. I don't want one of these fugly -40º stems, and before comitting to a full handlebar replacement I would like to try shaving a bit by replacing the monster plastic dust cap which comes with the shiv for something lower... I found slamthatstem.com but I would like to check that these are compatible with my frame before ordering and aying intl shipping for this...

Anyone out there has done this already? Any other feasible option for a Shiv-compatible low profile dust cap?

Thanks!

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Jun 12, 20 2:27
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile dust cap for "old" shiv [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for options to go a bit lower in my Shiv cockpit. I already have a -20º stem, and all spacers removed. I don't want one of these fugly -40º stems, and before comitting to a full handlebar replacement I would like to try shaving a bit by replacing the monster plastic dust cap which comes with the shiv for something lower... I found slamthatstem.com but I would like to check that these are compatible with my frame before ordering and aying intl shipping for this...

Anyone out there has done this already? Any other feasible option for a Shiv-compatible low profile dust cap?

Thanks!

I use to run the paper thin Tririg dustcap on my Shiv. Now I run the Alpha One and don't need a dustcap at all (integrated dustcap.) I did pull the rubber seal out of the Shiv dustcap and fit it over the bearing which adds a little extra protection.

Quote | Reply
+1 on Tririg as an option. I think it came with my Sigma X stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile dust cap for "old" shiv [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:

I use to run the paper thin Tririg dustcap on my Shiv. Now I run the Alpha One and don't need a dustcap at all (integrated dustcap.) I did pull the rubber seal out of the Shiv dustcap and fit it over the bearing which adds a little extra protection.

If the TriRig worked, then the SlamThatStem will work. They are the same just more expensive from TriRig. $34 vs $63 including international shipping for a black one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went with the Specialized Comp Multi Stem. It's -24, but can be adjusted via internal collars from -20 to -28 in 2^ increments.

Much lighter, stiffer and less clunky than typical adjustable stems.

https://mikesbikes.com/...riant=30264528207941

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a bit mean I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/...p2057872.m2749.l2649
luckily I had a headset space to get it to the right height but you can buy the FSA Micro headset spacers which are .25mm to get it perfect.

Quote Reply
Re: Low profile dust cap for "old" shiv [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think I have one of these already, somewhere in my spare parts box... I'll dig it out and see if -28 is an option

edit: re-read your email, I think mine is the -12º version, so the range will not be the same... and I already have a -20º stem installed in my Shiv

Thanks anyway!

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Jun 14, 20 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: Low profile dust cap for "old" shiv [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, ST collective wisdom is a wonderful resource!

I think I'll go for the Slamthatstem option, let's see how it goes, and then in case I need to go even lower I can think of a full cockpit replacement.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply