Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low back disk issue? What now?
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I have a low back disk problem. Over the course of my triathlon career I've had times were I would get a tingling sensation in my foot and loss of coordination when running (especially on treadmill). This would happen once or twice a year. I noticed that if I was at or near goal race weight I wouldn't experience these symptoms. But anytime my weight creeped up and I pushed the intensity it would show up. I never had low back pain just the symptom of foot tingling sensation.

This winter after a hard block of training I got up from sleeping and my whole left leg stiffened up and I could barely walk. It hurt really bad like nerve pain. It went away but appeared again a couple times later in the day. The next day it was gone. I took some time off running because of this since I was afraid I would make things worse with the pounding of running.

I was able to increase my running back up this spring to 40-45 mpw no issues. I felt great and excited to get back at it. However, about 4 weeks ago I felt my upper hamstring on the left leg get real tight. I didn't think anything of it but it progressively got worse as I continued to train days later. It's also sore when I bend or move a certain way. I tried to run but my body is not letting me run at speeds that I usually run at on my daily easy runs. So I've stopped running. I just don't feel very mobile. I feel very stiff.

This is very frustrating. My plan is to finally see someone about this to get a proper diagnosis. But if it's a lower disk problem what kind of training or exercise can I do? I think losing more weight will probably help since I'm 5 lbs heavier than I was this winter and about 10lbs heavier when I didn't experience any symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: Low back disk issue? What now? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever been to a chiropractor? I had the same issues after a long bike ride and playing basketball, I couldn't move that well. I felt stiff and walked like an old man, tingles in my feet, legs and tailbone. I finally broke down and went to chiropractor and three sessions later I felt good and after five the pain was gone. I was originally skeptical of chiropractors but I believe they fixed me because I couldn't do anything before.
Quote Reply
Re: Low back disk issue? What now? [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a herniated disk in the L4-L5 diagnosed after my left leg cramped/pain to the point I could not really walk. Spent a couple of weeks on the floor only hobbling to the bathroom..

Anyway, find a good back doc and get a MRI. See if there really is something going on with a disk. Mine was herniated and pushing on the nerve bundle causing the sciatic nerve pain. 2 rounds of injections fixed mine for the past 3+ years. These were the injections where they put you under and a radiologist guides the needle close to the disk and nerves.

My other option if the injections didn’t work was to shave the disk down a bit where it wasn’t pushing on the nerves.

I did try a chiropractor first and that was zero help and might have made it worse.

Good luck,
Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with any musculoskeletal injury/condition, your best bet is to get it evaluated from someone you trust and knows runners/triathletes.

1) I'd skip the MRI, poor correlation with MRI findings (ie nearly all folks would have findings regardless if they had pain or not).

2) they cost a lot.

if it does happen to be some nerve irritation, it will get better. Get some guidance from a professional, aim for movement/active rehab approach. Not a passive one.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Low back disk issue? What now? [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it does happen to be some nerve irritation, it will get better.------

Since you are a Professional in this field, how about detailing such a statement without seeing such an individual?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am most 3 months on from very very similar sounding issue.

Lots of physiotherapy has got me going again. MRI, surgery, injections have almost no clinical evidence base to them.

I was able to swim pretty much the whole time throug rehab, cycling well now and just starting running. Swimming has also been my limiter so now I am spending time with a coach on that.

Deep into rehab working through lots of core Pilates type exercises and identifying my fundamental body weaknesses has helped. Also identifying daily life has not helped me (desk job and bad posture).

Injury has sucked but on the whole I have managed to turn it around and firmly believe at the back end I will be a better triathlete at the end and overall a healthier human being in daily life... at least that is what I am telling myself :D
Quote Reply