Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying.
Quote | Reply
I live in Louisville now. I did the race in 2008-10, all when it was in August.

Right now, as I sit in my kitchen drinking coffee, it's 50 and raining. We had wanted to go down to the river to see T1 and the bike out, but it's more comfortable at home.

I'm only posting this so that participants and spectators today can post their RR's and observations. Quite a bit different than the times I ran by the bank sign that read 94 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did I see some 12min swim times for that race? What's going on?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its downstream and 0.9 miles. Current too strong, so they modified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likewise, following some friends...short swim was odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They shortened the swim to .9miles due to strong current. That’s what I read at least. Going to check in with a friend whose husband is racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the short swim listed on the race blog but perhaps you can help me with this one. Has race start moved to 8 am now that it's in Oct? Or was that start time unique to today?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I found the short swim listed on the race blog but perhaps you can help me with this one. Has race start moved to 8 am now that it's in Oct? Or was that start time unique to today?
Per the race blog, the pro start was delayed from 7:25 to 8:00AM. Watched the line for the swim start - people look cold and a little miserable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked on friend.. Only 2 min to the swim....Did they start late
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim modified to 0.9 mi. because of the strong current.

There were a ton of folks who bailed on Chattanooga two weeks ago after the swim was canceled because they wanted to race the full distance. This is an improvement but still not 2.4mi.

Others choose Florida but that may turn out to be a worse decision since it’s very likely to get canceled IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon needs to decide are they going to be a test a physical capability, or a festival of medal handout for completion of whatever seems "safe" for the day. I'm sorry but swim is part of the race, if you aren't comfortable with whatever is thrown at you on race day, within reason, don't sign up. And to the promoters and RDs just stop hosting races if you're going to panic and cancel every swim.

Swim is already grossly underrepresented in IM races as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
Per the race blog, the pro start was delayed from 7:25 to 8:00AM. Watched the line for the swim start - people look cold and a little miserable!

Yes, thank you, I did see that and brain fart in typing my question. So is 7:25 the normal race start time now that it's held in Oct? Pretty sure it was 7 am (or earlier for pro's) back when I spectated in 2011.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT's been later since the move to October because of daylight. When you sign up you even need to sign a waiver that you don't have 17 hours to complete the race. (I signed up in 2015 but was a DNS.)
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree in most part to your post. I agree that things seem sort of easy with a short swim, and I myself wish the swim were longer.

However, I drive daily over the same stretch of the Ohio River. The water isn't calm, but what's worse is the debris floating downstream. I've seen whole tree trunks and branches float by. That's a great reason to keep in mind when thinking of safety. The new point-to-point route goes closer to shore, and the water is calmer there, with less debris piling up.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they want to protect the athletes then why swim at all? 0.9 miles down a strong current? That only gets them wet and makes them freeze on the bike in the cold rainy temps. At that point just cancel the swim.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Triathlon needs to decide are they going to be a test a physical capability, or a festival of medal handout for completion of whatever seems "safe" for the day. I'm sorry but swim is part of the race, if you aren't comfortable with whatever is thrown at you on race day, within reason, don't sign up. And to the promoters and RDs just stop hosting races if you're going to panic and cancel every swim.

For so many reasons, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
If they want to protect the athletes then why swim at all? 0.9 miles down a strong current? That only gets them wet and makes them freeze on the bike in the cold rainy temps. At that point just cancel the swim.

^^^This^^^

Makes no sense to get them wet in that cold weather!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

Uh, NO.

It's not about the athletes wussing out, it's about the ability of the RD and staff to provide a reasonably safe race environment, and also be able to respond to any dangerous conditions if/when they arise.

What if they said F it, and did the whole swim distance?
And then dozens of athletes got dragged off course, and somebody (or multiple somebodies) drowned because there was no way to get to them all in time?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 88 degrees in Louisville on Wednesday. Last year it sleeted and this year the current it too heavy and it’s cold and rainy. Perhaps the date needs to be pushed back a week? WTC can figure it out and secure permits or the race eventually dies.

The modified swim may be warranted but it’s bad planning. 0.9 miles downstream for a 140.6 is a damn joke. I have some friends that swam their asses off for that race that just got screwed. Others didn’t do enough swimming. What a joke and advantage for people that didn’t do the work.

I don’t want to hear about people getting cold. Its 51 and rainy. People run in that damn weather all the time. Just put dry water resistant clothes on for the bike. I biked yesterday morning in 38 with a windchill near 32. It was cold and not wet, several peeled off cutting it short but I was the only one that finished the ride alone and crushed the end of the ride. Some need to harden the F up!
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Just put dry water resistant clothes on for the bike........ Some need to harden the F up!

Good for you.

So easy to say, yet many non core racers (aka the majority of the race) probably didn't think of bringing that, couldn't source it locally once they got there, or don't have that gear. Do you think everyone is bringing all their kit to the race?

Look I agree that Ironman has pussified the sport of triathlon. A lot. Maybe even more than a lot and it's going to only get worse as they encourage more and more people to participate in these events who clearly have not done the work necessary to do much more than complete. After all anything is possible and they encourage clubs to gain as many new members as possible to participate in their events

As an RD you have to play to the lowest common denominators, of which there is a very large % at any IM & 70.3 race/event except maybe the WC's. Maybe.

It's safety first then badasses such as yourself second.

Sucks bc more than once I've been at races where the swim was cx'd or shortened or moved and I'm thinking wtf RD I just warmed up in those waves and they're not even waist high. On the other hand you've got a bunch of ill prepared people crying on the shore bc the thought of swimming through 3ft waves is paralyzing and terrifying.

A lot of people reading this thread need to stop back from their myopic view and take into consideration the larger picture.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just need to move it back to August and you will get predictable weather, HOT. I did the race in 2013 when in August, and of course it was warm, but you know that going in. These fall races have too much unpredictability on the weather.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least one pro and multiple AG's have already dropped. Too cold. It was a stupid idea to put them in the water for a 15 minute swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

Psssst I think it's you the "hardcore" athletes that have to realize "we" as a sport are going that route. You may not like it, I may not like it, but that's where we are going. So I think we have to turn the tables and suggest that it's you that has to adapt or go about doing something else. That is the reality that I'm seeing in 2018 triathlon and beyond.

We live in a PC as hell world. If 2' chop means the "safety" personal has a hard time staying on their stand up paddle boards, your going to have a cancelled swim. We always complain about shit, but we are also the very first to blame someone else when shit hits the fan. So as the saying goes "we can't have nice things", we are protecting ourselves in those situations.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 14, 18 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville: 50 degrees and raining. Just saying. [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
They just need to move it back to August and you will get predictable weather, HOT. I did the race in 2013 when in August, and of course it was warm, but you know that going in. These fall races have too much unpredictability on the weather.

Agree!

As a Louisville native and someone who has done the IM in both crazy hot August days and cooler October ones I prefer the August date.

I would rather prepare for a range from too hot to perfect, with a proper swim. It is much easier to prepare for that . Triathlon is a summer sport after all.

In October you can have have any sort of temps and any sort of swim (normal to none).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I live in Louisville now. I did the race in 2008-10, all when it was in August.

Right now, as I sit in my kitchen drinking coffee, it's 50 and raining. We had wanted to go down to the river to see T1 and the bike out, but it's more comfortable at home.

I'm only posting this so that participants and spectators today can post their RR's and observations. Quite a bit different than the times I ran by the bank sign that read 94 degrees.

Ahh yes..I saw 95 on the bank sign in both 2007 and 2008. I do wish it would move back to its original slot. I suffer in the heat but hate the cold much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

Agree x100. I did 2012 and the temperature was pushing 100. The run was awful, but had all summer to get ready for it. In the midwest, you are practically guaranteed stable weather patterns from June until early September or so (IMWI is about the latest I would consider doing a triathlon). Anything later than that is a toss up. It's really interesting that when IM moved Louisville it was the only race not consistently selling out. Now no races are selling out and we are closing out the year with 3 races being shortened and/or cancelled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next