Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lost fitness level during sickness
Quote | Reply
I am seldom sick but this year I got caught. After suffering for three weeks with the upper respiratory infection I finally got back to my training. I noticed how high my heart rate was for my bike/run speeds. So I wore my heart monitor while sitting in front of the TV last night. My normal resting heart rate is 42. Last night is was 52. Does it seem possible to lose that much in three weeks? Wow - scary!

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Lost fitness level during sickness [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very unlikely. This exact same scenario happened to me recently.

Most likely is that you are still somewhat sick, even though you are not showing symptoms. Given a full recovery, you'll be back down to 42 bpm and your workouts will be back on track.

I imagine that you lost very little fitness. There isn't much you could do about it anyway. You certainly can't gain any fitness while you are sick.

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Re: Lost fitness level during sickness [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree that most likely you have lost very little fitness. You still have the same muscles and blood vessels, they wouldnt go away that quickly. Anyway, you are probably still a little sick, or it might be the time of day you took this resting heart rate, heart rate like many things can change slightly throughout the day.
Quote Reply