Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Losing run fitness rapidly
Quote | Reply
I fell on the ice on christmas eve last year and I wasn’t the same since. I came back running after two weeks off and was a little slow but nothing major. Then I had to take extended time off running this year due to a hamstring injury (2 months) in May. I came back easy and was able to build up my mileage to where it was 40-50 mow. However, my pace dropped off a cliff. And still not getting better. Before 2018 my everyday pace was 7:45-8min and in 2017 in September I ran a 1:30 in half Ironman. My everyday pace is 8:30-8:45 now. And I have a few days it’s hard for me to hit 9 min pace. I seems like I get slower and slower. I’m 41 and gained about 5lbs since 2017 so I’m sure this isn’t helping. But still I would think by now the run fitness would be back closer to 8 min pace. Does anyone have same experience after run injury and also getting older?
Quote Reply
Re: Losing run fitness rapidly [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have taken time out because of injury etc but i usually get my speed back within 3-4 months of consistent training
You didn't specify what kind of training regime you are now under, back to normal, lighter etc?

You do loose speed if you have taken time out and as you get older but regular consistent training will bring improvements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
41 isn't old (I know it's all relative) but it's possible that things you took for granted or got away with in your 20s and 30s won't work quite that way now. Some people will be able to keep doing the same thing and it'll work fine but some of us will need to challenge our preconceptions. For instance you might need to be proactive with little niggles that previously you could ignore and would just go away.

Are you 'just' run training or tri training? 40-50 mpw is quite a bit of running. Do you give yourself a low volume week once in a while or do you keep pushing forward? Without getting personal how are other things in your work/personal life balance? If you have more stress through work and family then you might find mileage you could do before is too much now and you aren't recovering like you used to. Sleep/nutrition are vital parts of the equation, maybe you can improve there? Nutritional deficiencies could easily knock your energy, maybe get a test?

When you say 'it's hard to hit 9 min pace some days' that sounds like fatigue catching up with you, to me. But you know yourself best, what is the limiter when you have one of those days, overall energy?

Maybe think about trying a big cut back in miles and then test yourself after a few weeks? You won't really lose anything if you keep it easy and short for a while but if you get your mojo back at the end that might tell you something.

In general I'd say leave no stone unturned. Improve any aspect of your life that might help the recovery aspect of running or injury prevention. New years is a great time to start the good habits that we know we need to have but haven't got around to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much speed and strength work are mixed in.
If you just go out and run, then you may not get faster.
If you are going out with the intention of getting faster, and pushing hard, there may be some over training.

Personally I have had to change my approach when I hit the 40 year mark.

I have kept getting faster, but I need more recovery to allow for adaptations. I can't pile on mileage like I used to and rely on that to get me faster. I'm better at hard days hard, easy days easy and rest days means REST day.

It gets tricky.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill start by saying I am not a coach, doctor, or even a very good runner/triathlete. So your results my vary, but my story is similar.
I was in pretty good shape about 18 months ago, and could comfortably do runs at 7:45 - 8 pace (I only ran about 3-4 miles at a time as I was focusing on mountain biking) then I started having back pain, and that back pain kept getting worse. Had to stop all running and most cycling and eventually had to have back surgery to correct the problem. Felt great after surgery, after 2-3 months got the clear to start running again. And I felt slow. 9 min miles 9:30s all over the place. I did a 10k with my wife and full pushing avg an 8:40 pace. Just kind of accepted that I was now a slower runner/out of shape and move on with it.
But in looking at my bike data, my FTP was now back to where is was before the injury, so I could not be THAT out of shape. In talking with a friend (who is a pretty good runner) he said I likely "forgot" how to run at speed. He suggested to do several shorter runs on a treadmill and work towards holding a 7:45-8 min pace for 3 to 4 miles. Started by doing 1 mile at 8:30 1 mile at 7:45 1 mile at 8:30 and worked my way down to doing 4 miles at 8 min over the course of 3 weeks. (running 3 days a week. never more than 4 miles) After that did a half marathon (3 weeks after the 10k) and Finished in 1:47; (8:10 pace) and it felt like a natural running speed.
Again there are people on here way smarter than me, but this worked in my case. After the surgery, it seems my legs were just not wanting to move fast, and this kind of shocked them back to it. I liken it to cadence drills on a bike, except in running you don't have gears to just spin faster without going faster. (assuming you keep stride length constant)
Good luck!
Quote Reply