Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Los Angelos Peeps - Trick or Tri review?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of doing the Trick or Tri http://www.trickortri.com a small race in North LA. I want to bring a local college team too, since our normal fall intro to triathlon race (Playa Del Rey) has been cancelled this year.

Anyone here done it? Any reviews? Worth it because it's so close to us or should we drive further for another race? It looks like the multi out and back is on a bike path. The website makes it sound like a road, but based on strava it seems like it could be a super cluster w/ sprint, olympic, and half athletes all going out and bike multiple times on a bike path.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angelos Peeps - Trick or Tri review? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That whole bike is on top of the dam. It's probably 2-3 car lanes wide. I rode on it once a couple of years ago on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
With so many laps being done, I can only imagine it being a cluster.
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angelos Peeps - Trick or Tri review? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's still much wider than most bike paths! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it both years. Ride is on completely closed bike path and park roads. Due to start times, the sprinters usually end up out of the water and on the bike while the Olympic racers ar still in the water. My experience has only been with the sprint, and I loved it. Got my first podium finish there last year. Just remember to bring a flashlight, it's very dark in the morning.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Olympic race and loved it! Since it's a lake swim, there is no worry of sharks or a rough water entry. :) As SDCali mentioned, the races are staged so the bike course was not congested and there was plenty of room to pass when needed. The closed bike course is a huge plus in my opinion. The run is around the lake with paved and trail (dirt) sections and like the bike course it's flat and fast. There are plenty of volunteers on the course to make sure things run smoothly too. The race is great for friends and family that are coming to watch as well since they will have the opportunity to see you and the team multiple times during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh. I'm glad you pointed this one out. I was bummed to learn that Playa del Rey was cancelled this year. Trick or Tri looks fun.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done the half? If so, how congested was the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angelos Peeps - Trick or Tri review? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. I did the half last year -- except for the turnaround in my middle laps I didn't find bike congestion to be an issue. It's a nice little race. Feel free to PM if you want to talk shop.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Oly last year. It was damn cheap and very close to my house - so why not?

The good.

Parking and the other logistics were easy. You can camp there the night before, so that it does not get any easier. The super chill atmosphere. The water in the lake had good visibility. The bike course was 100% closed to cars, 3 loops, flat. The run is 2 loops, also quite flat. No USAT fees. Rudy van Berg raced and passed on the bike once. That was cool.

The so-so

The location is kinda in the middle of nowhere, but the lake is nice. The swim course was a little confusing having to go around 'the island'. The bike course is on top of the dam and with some sharp turnarounds - 7 in total. The run course is partially on trails around the lake - got pretty warm and dusty towards the end.

The bad

Not a whole lot. The course measurements were off (swim/bike a bit long, run def short). The timing was a little confusing too.

All in all - it is a fun event to do as long as you do not try to make into a PR or whatever. I am not sure if I'll do it again this year, but I probably going to do their Oxnard Oly in September.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Olympic and the 70.3 in I think the first and third year. The swim is good, a little mucky. The bike is all closed off and pretty boring, plus the wind can get pretty intense. The run is pretty nice, it is several loops depending on the course. The run mixes some softer services with pavement and concrete. For the price, it's an no brainer.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Los Angelos Peeps - Trick or Tri review? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the half last year. It was NOT congested on the bike at all. In fact pretty empty on laps 1 & 2, noticed a few more peeps as the sprint/oly guys came on board for a couple laps, then empty as heck for the laps 5-7.

I sent the race director a long kudos email afterwards. Other than the swim directions (or lack thereof), the support was AWESOME. Great bike racks, bike path is plenty wide for everyone. I've never seen better volunteers. They were literally dumping ice down my top for me, without even asking. Only had one run station run out of water early on the run, it was resolved within 10 mins. I loved the race and look forward to doing it again.
Quote Reply