Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Loose Hub, need help..
Quote | Reply
I have a set of HED Ardennes on my road bike. I'm finding that after 8-10 rides my hub on the rear becomes slightly loose/wobbly. I've had it tightened by a couple of different shops but sure enough it starts to get loose again. I don't mind learning how to tighten it myself, but also know this should not be happening. Any of you wrenches have any ideas on why this would happen? Do I just have a bad wheel, or is there something I could do to prevent this in the future, or should I just buy a new set of wheels? I'd prefer option 2 (prevent this from happening).

I should note that it's not a huge deal, but if it gets bad, can cause some brake rub on my disc rotor (very slight, but requires brake re-alignment to avoid)
Quote Reply
Re: Loose Hub, need help.. [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you contacted Hed?
Quote Reply
Re: Loose Hub, need help.. [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Have you contacted Hed?

No I haven't these were stock wheels that came on the bike. Almost 2 years old now. Just wondering if anyone has seem this type of thing and looking for suggestions.

I love the wheels and when tight are awesome. Just wondering if there is an easy fix to avoid the hub loosening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'd taken them to any shop and they didn't fix it I'd go back and explain they got loose again. No criticism of the shop. Troubleshooting is often an iterative process. So they probably tried the most straight forward thing that would fix it for most people. Maybe that was just tightening it up. If they know that didn't work then they may take them apart and give them a more detailed examination. Maybe the threads are worn. Maybe the bearings bind or the races are subtlety pitted. Maybe if there is damage it is to bits that can be replaced cost effectively or maybe not.

The trouble is if you or anyone else touches it then the mechanic has doubt about what they did and if that contributed. I work in IT rather than bikes but I want someone to stick with me so I can see the fix through to the end. Anyone else being involved, however well meaning, just muddies the water.

I'd want to chat to the mechanic. I'd hope they would give you the odds that it just isn't cost effective to repair. I'd hope there is a chance they at least look at it again before charging you. If they aren't going to do that (and I'm not saying that's unfair) that's when I'd want to get an idea of if that's the point to cut your losses.

A shop straightened a wheel for me once. They said it was probably a few new spokes. When I picked it up it was about 8 spokes and the spokes were more than twice what he'd estimated each. I could of got an equivalent new wheel on sale cheaper and the rims on mine obviously had some wear on them. My lesson was don't just hand stuff over and ask them to fix it. Have a proper conversation with them and talk about different possibilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should contact HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you can remove the end caps with 5mm hex, slide off freehub and tap bearings out with a plastic hammer. New ones can tap in with a socket. Read the number off the bearing and order Enduro or similar. Clean and oil freehub. All done.
Quote Reply
Re: Loose Hub, need help.. [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that the OP is not having a problem with the bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Loose Hub, need help.. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if maybe he is?
Quote Reply
Re: Loose Hub, need help.. [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I'm wondering if maybe he is?

Thanks everyone for your responses. It definitely is not a bearings problem. The wheels roll super smooth. One of the reasons I love them. Just a shaky/wobbly hub that can cause disc alignment problems. Tightening fixes the problems, but the just won't stay tight.

I have reached out to HED. Hopefully I'll hear something today and they can give advice. Also, dropping the bike back off at the shop this evening. Guess I have to ride the old bike for a few days.
Quote Reply