Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the low low price of $5500 for the frame.... Ouch

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They must have bought the Zipp molds or something - must need to recover the capex on those.

As much as I loved my 2001, it would have been nice to see this frame see more of an update. The head tube, for instance, could have been made more aero. But it looks like they managed to change the head tube, as the old Zipps used a 1" head tube, and the link says the frame will be 1 1/8". Also, the old Zipps did not have any internal aluminum cable routing, so that is something it looks like they updated. But it would have been nice if they had "fully" updated the bike, with changes such as a dropped downtube to get that closer to the front wheel.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 26, 12 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike is super-excited about its new frame. Apparently.

[rustersports.com]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But it does come with a rare earth magnet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shit thing is that the bike did terrible in wind tunnel testing.....and did not offer the other benefits of Softride and TitanFlex.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should at least throw in a couple of nut-cup arm rests for that price. The price is almost like a kick in the nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
They should at least throw in a couple of nut-cup arm rests for that price. The price is almost like a kick in the nuts.

This is on their website....it really is.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the day that Felt announce trickle-down of most of their DA tech to the B12 frameset at less than $1800, this has to be a joke.

Didn't some smart people on here once argue that ignoring UCI rules might not automatically get you as much gain as you might think? Sure the big manufacturers have to obey some arbitrary rules, but they do suck a hell of a lot of money down those wind tunnels...

I would honestly be surprised if the Shiv (frameset $3300), for example, isn't faster... especially at yaw. I miss Jackmott.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [jcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the greatest frames ever deserved better than this or just to be left in obscurity.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absent WT data I wouldn't spend that type of money on any bike frame. I don't see any reason why the best structural design (double diamond) is going to automatically be the best aero design. However, tradional frames beenefit from lots of development, where as this looks like almost a direct copy of a much older design. Still it elimate two seatstays and a seatube so thats promising.

Hopefully they spend the first 5500 they get on writing up so tech info.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am not mistaken this is TJ Tollakson's company. I'd buy the frame at 2K or 2500K but not at 5K. This also looks like a good frame to travel with and potentially avoid bike fees given that they claim the beam is easily removed or collapsed. Also is there is a bottle braze on on the "down tube". Any changes on the "damping mechanism" over the Zipp2001?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably blasphemy, but I wish it were made in China instead of America so I could actually afford one.

Youre correct and yes that's an insane price.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is funny is that I just got an email from some guy in south China saying he is converting his factory to manufacture carbon fiber bikes. Did any of you guys get the same email yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My, quite the negativity about this bike. Of course it's expensive, it's a limited edition bike hand made in the US. People pay a lot more for high end Serottas.

Personally I think this is a cool project and I wish TJ well with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but people that pay for high end serottas know what they are getting. IE a custom designed bike made to suit their particular riding wants.

The market fr this bike is primarily top end aero performance and comfort. Comfort is likely a given, but aero is a guess at this point..

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is you will get P3 to P4 like aero, with unmatched plush comfort...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely less aero than a P4, not to mention a P5...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record10Carbon wrote:
The shit thing is that the bike did terrible in wind tunnel testing.....and did not offer the other benefits of Softride and TitanFlex.

How bad and compared to what? By chance was it compared to another beam bike? And was there a disc wheel?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Sure, but people that pay for high end serottas know what they are getting. IE a custom designed bike made to suit their particular riding wants.

The market fr this bike is primarily top end aero performance and comfort. Comfort is likely a given, but aero is a guess at this point..

People that pay for high end Serottas know what they're getting? A high quality hand made frame built to their specs... but 90% of whom didn't really need a custom frame and the actual objective performance of the bike is likely no higher than numerous frames to be had for a third (or less) of the cost. They're making an emotional decision based on the intangible prestige of the Serotta brand and in their minds it's associated with higher performance that's not necessarily there... So questionable that they know what they're really getting.

I really don't know how aero the dimond frame is, I did a quick search for wind tunnel results for the Zipp frame and didn't find anything. Seems like a lot of people here are jumping to conclusions. Bottom line is he's resurrecting a frame that a lot of people wax nostalgic for and modernizing it, and it's likely pretty aero, more power to him and I hope he's successful. Personally, I buy bikes based on data and have a limited budget, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and enjoy this project and would love to see one in the flesh.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you say is true, thats precisely what people buy Serottas for. It has a long history of custom roadbikes.

Dimond wont survive based on nostalgia for Zipp. Zipp couldn't survive on people wanting that frame. When you say

Personally, I buy bikes based on data and have a limited budget, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and enjoy this project and would love to see one in the flesh.

That goes for most of Dimonds customer base. No data, higher price and wanting to see one, isn't a business plan.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Everything you say is true, thats precisely what people buy Serottas for. It has a long history of custom roadbikes.

Dimond wont survive based on nostalgia for Zipp. Zipp couldn't survive on people wanting that frame. When you say

Personally, I buy bikes based on data and have a limited budget, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and enjoy this project and would love to see one in the flesh.

That goes for most of Dimonds customer base. No data, higher price and wanting to see one, isn't a business plan.

Here is the deal. There used to be a market for beam bikes. Softride squandered it away with bad business strategy when having to overcome the UCI 'only double diamond frames" ruling.

For some reason they could not overcome this, even though 99.5% of their customers were not even doing UCI racing. I can only think of one road rider of any note (first North America Yellow Jersey guy, Alex Steida) who used a softride. The rest triathletes. Welchie won Kona on softride, Zack won many Ironmans on softride, Pauli Kiuru won several Ironmans on Zipp 2001.

I just got an ancient softride last week for a commuter (will help with the jarring given my neck/head injuries from last year) and I was shocked that it actually weighs less than my Kestrel Talon and Airfoil Pro!!!

Hopefully the Dimond can overcome any past mechanical issues and weight issues. The biggest triathlon market is M40-54. These guys need/want comfort even though they don't know it. TJ needs to publish the windtunnel data, but he needs to really market the comfort benefits, especially to older athletes for whom this will be a differentiator. This demographic is the fat part of the market, and these are the guys with the deepest pockets. Chasing the "aero game" is not where most of the money is at.....have a look at the "End of Lifing" of the Cervelo P4. Meanwhile the P2 provides the gravy train....

Heck, I have been trying to convince Steve Harad at Kestrel to make a beam bike for years. He said there is just not a market big enough. I tend to disagree. It is about making a market. Tell that to any startup in the technology world. We don't sit around and wait for markets to form, we create markets by innovation and complimentary marketing. Or as is the case with Mr. Jobs, take a good idea, make it better, tell consumers what they want, to the point that they believed they wanted it in the first place.

TJ's price point is way too high. He'll get a few M40-54 with deep pockets forking out cash for this, but not many. That price point has to come down and there has to be aggresive marketing around the associated benefits of beam technology on riding comfort. There are many of us who still know it, it is a matter of educating the larger market. Also, in the 90's there were limits on frame materials/manufacturing technology. That has also changed.

For me, at $5500, I won't buy one out of principle, even though I can give him that money right now. I don't really care what the cost structure is, the frame needs to be priced at perceived value in the market. Right now, it is way out of whack. I appreciate that he has to make money too and I also get that you can't ship units with dollar bills attached by shipping below your cost structure and hoping to make it up on "volume". Looks like they will need to work on their cost structure if that is the current limiter in terms of competitive pricing.

This bike should be reasonably competitive on aero, and blow any rigid frame away on comfort.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the Zipp 2001 / 3001 is Back! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record10Carbon wrote:

Do you have any numbers to back that up? I've always heard the opposite, but have never seen any data.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to find it - there was one study (partial) I found from Cobb, but again - it was partial. At the time however I had a ton of inside information at Softride and it was maybe Softride marketing information. If I recall it was something about deep forks not being as fast as one would think - and in conjunction with that the width of the chain stays or some such thing. Plus, at the time pretty much everything was compared to the GT Superbike - a bike that was about as thick as a magazine with custom width hubs and all.

Quote Reply

Prev Next