Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looks like Slowman was right...
Quote | Reply
...when he speculated that Contador's "carriage return" action on the TT bike was because of an overly long cockpit.

Quote:
My position for Murcia was more evolved and we’ve shortened my position by about two centimetres especially with the bars and stem,” Contador explained.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...inault-and-armstrong

Now then, for those who continually pipe up during aerodynamics discussions on ST and say "Forget that stuff...just train harder!", here's a nice quote from Riis:

Quote:
“In time trials it’s not about the power but about aerodynamics,” he insisted.

:-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i never thought contrador was that stretched out.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:

You're not Slowman ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That helmet specially made for him ? It hugs his shoulders like a glove. On another note that is a tasty looking scab on his knee.

Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
That helmet specially made for him ? It hugs his shoulders like a glove. On another note that is a tasty looking scab on his knee.

It looks similar to the one they made for Lance, the question is when will they release one so we can actually buy it.

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while we're on that topic, his awkward shifting was a result of an overly tight hip angle than hes used to, or a lack of time trial training. not an overly long cockpit.

Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Mar 7, 11 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What part of this position causes him to have that hot little set of boobeez?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would that be a good example of turtleing?

Quote | Reply
[quote Tom A
Now then, for those who continually pipe up during aerodynamics discussions on ST and say "Forget that stuff...just train harder!", here's a nice quote from Riis:

Quote:
“In time trials it’s not about the power but about aerodynamics,” he insisted.

:-)[/quote]
Like there is any similarity between the TT's that the pro cyclists do and the bike leg of a triathlon,especially Ironman.

Give me a break!

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [gfzyriek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gfzyriek wrote:
What part of this position causes him to have that hot little set of boobeez?

Those would be "moobs"...and IME, that apparent "feature" is a result of a skinsuit not necessarily being cut across the chest with a "well-shrugged" position in mind.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was about the tainted Spanish steak that gives you super human powers, much like the "whiskey" Landis drank the night before his great come back.

http://talesofthemissing.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

Like there is any similarity between the TT's that the pro cyclists do and the bike leg of a triathlon,especially Ironman.

Give me a break!

A timed bike event is a timed bike event...

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Would that be a good example of turtleing?

Hes not really even turtling, it just looks like it because his helmet fits so good. You really shouldn't have to turtle much with a helmet designed especially for you. But i don't have 15k for a helmet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you sure?

you ever tried putting out 400+ watts at a body weight of like 150lbs?

ass not connected to seat much

SeasonsChange wrote:
while we're on that topic, his awkward shifting was a result of an overly tight hip angle than hes used to, or a lack of time trial training. not an overly long cockpit.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

Give me a break!

------------------------------------------------------------------

A triathlon is not timed bike event,it is a timed swim,bike,run event.The fact that there is that swim first and a run afterward means that the bike leg is not a TT and is not ridden like one.

You know that but you will keep arguing the point because you clearly love all the aero stuff.That is fine but you can't compare the two events.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Slowman was right... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have no doubt hes "floating" on the seat, but i dont believe its a saddle issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the ironman bike is a bridge from the swim to the run. its all about efficiency, nutrition and staying within yourself so you can throw down a killer run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

Give me a break!

------------------------------------------------------------------

A triathlon is not timed bike event,it is a timed swim,bike,run event.The fact that there is that swim first and a run afterward means that the bike leg is not a TT and is not ridden like one.

You know that but you will keep arguing the point because you clearly love all the aero stuff.That is fine but you can't compare the two events.

Perhaps you can explain to me then how reducing the "demand" during the bike leg hurts the following run?

Both events are about going the fastest (edit: you can) on a given amount of power. To say you can't compare them is short-sighted in the least...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 7, 11 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
the ironman bike is a bridge from the swim to the run. its all about efficiency, nutrition and staying within yourself so you can throw down a killer run.

--------------------------------------------

Well said..Now if I could only follow your advice my triathlon world would be a better place.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Perhaps you can explain to me then how reducing the "demand" during the bike leg hurts the following run?

Both events are about going the fastest (edit: you can) on a given amount of power. To say you can't compare them is short-sighted in the least...

most of the misconceptions come from the old notion that certain positions and/or equipment choices work for a time trial and are not sustainable for a 5-6hr bike ride and even if they were, it would mess up the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...sorry mate, but Tom is right. The only difference is that you don't try to go as fast as you can over 112mi, but try to go as fast as you can
after swimming, and while still being able to eat on the bike and digest your food, and still be able to run off the bike. So, you have a couple
of more variables to add, but in the end, it's still the same story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
SeasonsChange wrote:

--------------------------------------------

Well said..Now if I could only follow your advice my triathlon world would be a better place.

So...if you're agreeing above about "efficiency", explain to me how that doesn't imply that aerodynamics is important, as Mr. Riis is quoted as saying about TTs?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

most of the misconceptions come from the old notion that certain positions and/or equipment choices work for a time trial and are not sustainable for a 5-6hr bike ride and even if they were, it would mess up the run.

It's interesting that Contador is quoted in that article linked above that he rode 150 km in that position not that long ago ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the "efficiency" you are talking about between the two events at the pro level are different.In a TT you are trying to be as aerodynamicly efficient as possible to increase speed at a given power(effort) level to shave SECONDS off you finish time.In a triathlon you are trying to be as aerodynamically "efficient" as possible to ride faster at a power level that will still enable you to run quickly off the bike.

There is a difference in the two sports but you already know that or perhaps you need to watch some replays of Chris Lieto in Kona.

I never said aerodynamics is not relevant in triathlon but that for the vast majority of triathletes,once fit properly, training harder and smarter will reap greater rewards than trying to buy speed.

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Mar 7, 11 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:

Whoa....that is his position AFTER they shortened his cockpit by 2 cm?!?!? Yikes!!

;^)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next