Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
I'm not that cynical. It's *probably* just a new partnership.

FWIW, most other races still very prominently say Gatorade Endurance will be on course. One can only hope.

Ryan, you know damn well IM uses prior year placeholder info and copy and paste jobs for all their race websites and update them when it gets closer to race day or whenever they get around to it.

Just clicked on the IMLP2024 athlete guide and it says the aid stations will have Gatorade Endurance, Red Bull, broth, etc. But on closer inspection, it's actually the 2023 guide.....Today is June 21, 2024. Maybe a little help here, WTC?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [bak5557] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid post.

And 100% this is a money grab. This entire forum needs to understand that EVERYTHING WTC/ IRONMAN does is for money and 0 shits are given for the athlete. If you look at the IM staff (I am very familar with the organization), you can probably count on 1 hand how many of the employees have actually done a 70.3 and/or IM event.
IRONMAN/ Advanced media is a for profit company and Advanced (like Wanda) bought a really bad smoke & mirrors P&L.

I would say pick up your preferred nutrition at the expo (see other thred about Expo) but there are no vendors at the expos anymore to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because almost all of them expired on retailer shelves, never consumed by the public.

Source: guy who junked thousands of dollars of Hammer inventory every year because people begged for it and never bought it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adgatri wrote:
stevej wrote:
Plews must have gotten someone at Ironman to convert to LCHF

I bet a lobbyist at The Feed convinced them that water is only for hydration. You need GELS and CHEWS for nutrition! Luckily The Feed is running a sale right now where you can pick them up for just $4.25 each.
^^ 👀

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
Solid post.

And 100% this is a money grab. This entire forum needs to understand that EVERYTHING WTC/ IRONMAN does is for money and 0 shits are given for the athlete. If you look at the IM staff (I am very familar with the organization), you can probably count on 1 hand how many of the employees have actually done a 70.3 and/or IM event.
IRONMAN/ Advanced media is a for profit company and Advanced (like Wanda) bought a really bad smoke & mirrors P&L.

I would say pick up your preferred nutrition at the expo (see other thred about Expo) but there are no vendors at the expos anymore to do that.

I'm no IM apologist... but I find this view kind of funny. What do you expect? Of course Ironman is a profit-focused business. People need to suck it up. Two of the greatest races I've finished - Norseman and Unbound 200... guess what, you had to carry what you needed. AND have crew be there to supply you. And BOTH of those races (and race series) are focused on profit too.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
I'm no IM apologist... but I find this view kind of funny. What do you expect? Of course Ironman is a profit-focused business. People need to suck it up. Two of the greatest races I've finished - Norseman and Unbound 200... guess what, you had to carry what you needed. AND have crew be there to supply you. And BOTH of those races (and race series) are focused on profit too.

The issue is how Ironman treats its clients. Wouldn't compare them to Norseman. IM gets around $1.5-3 million in race fees per full distance race. Norseman organizers get $150k and the fees per athlete are half of what IM charges, and the logistics of the event are completely different (translate: more complex).

Or maybe I got it wrong. Ironman gets a gazillion clients despite this, so I guess it is treating its clients just fine.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Tremblant yesterday and I was glad to have Mortal as an option.

I pretty much used every option at the aid stations and I opted for Mortal a few times when I felt I needed more sodium than what was in the regular Gatorade.

Had no issue getting enough carbs in by combining with a Maurten as needed.

With that said, I'd prefer to have a high sodium, high carb option all in one but I felt that there were enough options that anyone could get what they needed
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally tried one of their products out of curiousity over the weekend... mango, but not the extra salty version.

Thought it tasted pretty terrible and like overly fake mango.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [bak5557] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bak5557 wrote:
Savage8778 wrote:
Still, I'm worried about how the products will be mixed (they don't come premixed from the company, so presumably volunteers will be doing this?) I'm sure we've all had the experience of watered-down Gatorade at the aid stations, and I hate to leave quality control in the hands of someone who's not being paid to do this.

This is my #1 issue. At IM France when Infinit was the bike drink, the aid stations were SWAMPED with bikers waiting for the volunteers to try and mix and fill bike bottles, some were just water others were pure powder - and that was at several stations. Nothing was consistent.

I still have no idea what to do for IMC next month, probably carry 2 bottles and use some on-course as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [latethannever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latethannever wrote:

I pretty much used every option at the aid stations and I opted for Mortal a few times when I felt I needed more sodium than what was in the regular Gatorade.

With that said, I'd prefer to have a high sodium, high carb option all in one but I felt that there were enough options that anyone could get what they needed

Tremblant was cold & rainy. Why do you think the regular Gatorade didn't have enough sodium?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
latethannever wrote:

Tremblant was cold & rainy. Why do you think the regular Gatorade didn't have enough sodium?

I run hot and I'm a heavy sweater. It wasn't as cold by the time I was running and I had my trisuit unzipped fully to try to cool off. It also stopped raining at one point and was extremely humid. The Gatorade tasted extremely watered down. By km 15 I had an intense craving for a salty snack and I demolished a cup each of chips and pretzels.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For IMLP, all my drink mix is coming with me. Yes, it means stopping at "Personal Needs" for the loop, but --

2 x regular strength Gatorade Endurance
1 x concentrated mix in the aero bottle on the bike

Grab water from aid stations for cooling / self mixing the concentrate to get to the equivalent of 4 bottles per loop

2 x powder mix back up in the event I fuck something up in the bike bento.

Clif Blok Margarita and grabbing Maurten bars / banana from aid station as I see fit.

This used to be a lot easier.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will have Maurten bars at the aid stations? No gels?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bars and gels at both bike and run aid.

I want some solid food on the bike. Run I might take a gel or two. As always, goal is to get to mile 18 or so, then switch to Coke and a prayer for a swift and merciful death.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx.

Plan to read the athlete guide tonight.

Maybe I’ll see you there.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing useful in there besides the switch to post-race breakfast / Awards being down at the Fairgrounds instead of the Convention Center.

Otherwise: SSDD for IMLP.

I'll probably be grabbing a beer at the Brewery or Big Slide on Thursday, if you're in town. Otherwise, finish before me and you can go visit my condo and steal a beer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next