Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank
Quote | Reply
As the title states

As of now current my position is just OK. According to my fitter I should ideally be on a 54 vs the 56 I am on, but we made it work. The cockpit is stock with the PD Aeria aluminum and no spacers.
But I'd like to get a little lower on it, both for more comfort and aero. I read the ST article on this bike and it talked about the TriRig Alpha C bars lowering the position up to about 4cm. I can't seem to find any info on that bar though. The alpha X bar is over $1k so that isn't an option. Are there any other less expensive bar options that could get me lower?

And if I get lucky and see a 54 frame for sale this winter for a good price I'd be tempted to pick it up.

I am going to get refitted and look at options but just wanted to get some insight before then.

Thanks

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using the lowest stack stem option?

Old Felt Devox bars are low stack. Also PD Subsonic clamps on the basebar of your choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a client with a similar predicament. There is a proprietary aftermarket stem that QR makes that brings it a bit lower, but it's very expensive as it basically includes a new fork. What I recommended to my client was Enve bars with undermount, which is quite pricey, but you could also go TriRig One or Zipp Vuka below mount or Profile Design Subsonic to try to get where you're going.

QR is yet another bike that prevents triathletes from getting in a proper aero position due to high stack integrated proprietary systems.

Ryanppax wrote:
As the title states

As of now current my position is just OK. According to my fitter I should ideally be on a 54 vs the 56 I am on, but we made it work. The cockpit is stock with the PD Aeria aluminum and no spacers.
But I'd like to get a little lower on it, both for more comfort and aero. I read the ST article on this bike and it talked about the TriRig Alpha C bars lowering the position up to about 4cm. I can't seem to find any info on that bar though. The alpha X bar is over $1k so that isn't an option. Are there any other less expensive bar options that could get me lower?

And if I get lucky and see a 54 frame for sale this winter for a good price I'd be tempted to pick it up.

I am going to get refitted and look at options but just wanted to get some insight before then.

Thanks

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, you know, you buy the PR5.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Are you using the lowest stack stem option?

Old Felt Devox bars are low stack. Also PD Subsonic clamps on the basebar of your choice.

I assume so. There aren't any spacers in it that I can see

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two versions of the PR6 stem floating around out there. My guess is that you are on the v1.0 stem, which has significantly more stack to it than v2.0. That said, as Eric noted above, it's not cheap, and it can frequently result in needing a new fork to mate to it.

How much stack are you looking to use? Just the 2 cm from the 56 down to the 54? Or something greater than that?

Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Or, you know, you buy the PR5.

Easy cockpit adjustability is huge in my book. Body position trumps everything else for aero and power production (ie speed), and the only way to optimize that is by experimentation.

No one needs a specific frame for their fit. Hell, even the size barely matters. What you need is a highly and easily adjustable cockpit.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
How much stack are you looking to use? Just the 2 cm from the 56 down to the 54? Or something greater than that?

Not sure honestly but any is better than nothing. While sitting on the trainer, I rested my elbows right on the base bar and found it to be pretty comfortable.
I feel kind of scrunched in the cockpit now. Completed my first 70.3 on Saturday and while I had the fastest bike time of the day I was starting to ache in my triceps and back of my shoulders. Looking at my silhouette during the ride it looked like my back could also get more level than it is. My PD Aero HC feels awfully close to my face too (straw is cut maybe 2 inches from top of bottle)

Hopefully the photographer got a decent photo that I can look at.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is going to wind up dovetailing with Kiley's on #saddlebattle.

You have to solve your contact points before you start figuring out the damn bike. We can make some combination of stems, pedestals, and spacers work on just about any bike. What we can't do is make all of this optimized to a specific frame and size if you don't first figure out the saddle, the shoes/pedals, and the aerobar.

These couple of threads are finally going to be the tipping point of me back into service/retail...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
This thread is going to wind up dovetailing with Kiley's on #saddlebattle.

You have to solve your contact points before you start figuring out the damn bike. We can make some combination of stems, pedestals, and spacers work on just about any bike. What we can't do is make all of this optimized to a specific frame and size if you don't first figure out the saddle, the shoes/pedals, and the aerobar.

These couple of threads are finally going to be the tipping point of me back into service/retail...

Could you go elaborate on what you mean here? There's a ton I don't know yet... I just ride the bike haha. I'm fine with the saddle on it now; using speedplay pedals. I do need better fitting shoes though, which is first priority for gear upgrades this winter

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower stack isn't necessarily the solution to your problem. Everything effects ....everything else.

Would be helpful if you'd put up a good trainer video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have a 17 degree stem on it? That was stock on my PR5. I bought a 6 degree stem to help with this issue.

Frankly, I’m surprised they sell it with a 17 in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quickly because I have a work project blowing up:

Essentially, if you want to be truly optimized on your equipment, you buy the bike frame last. You get the position figured out - saddle, pedals, shoes, aerobars, etc. From there it's just geometry to figure out the best frame that fits under that position. And that will generally avoid the exact scenario you're in now - trying to either find something super low-profile on the aerobar front / the unicorn stem from QR to combat a bike with too much stack, or the situation I'm in - the bike's too long and low so I have to pedestal the shit out of it to get it to fit.

Hell, if you'd fit on a CD0.1 in Large I'd trade frames with you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Caroline Steffen bike photos you’ll see for some time she used a flipped mountain bike stem and some dremel work on the aero cover to get lower.

A few different stems may also get you a bit lower e.g. Syntace’s one

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you consider going to shorter cranks and then raising your saddle some?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [dazzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up for anything.. I guess it all really comes down to what my fitter thinks when we get together

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
... some dremel work on the aero cover to get lower. A few different stems may also get you a bit lower e.g. Syntace’s one

If you are not afraid of the mighty Dremel this could be the easiest, cheapest and best option: Syntace Flatforce will get you a lot (!!!) lower (https://www.syntace.com/...5/flatforce-111?c=25). Third pic will show you how much compared to 6° or 17° - compared to Gen1 PRsix stem should be even more).

Combine that with a Cane Creek Slamset and a PD Subsonic or any undermount bracket and we might easily be talking about 3-5cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A low profile dust cap will allow you take some additional stack out. A lot cheaper than a new cockpit.

https://speedandcomfort.com/products/5mm-top-cap
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to decrease stack on my 2015 PR6 and not break the bank [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWHCFudi4FW2zJg47

Here is a photo of the stem I have and no spacers that I can tell

How would any of these aftermarket stems fit this bike?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the lowest stack option I've been able to put together.

A prosvet base bar with Vision aluminum aero bars. The Vision pads have just a little 1mm spacer under them. It puts the pads about a half inch lower than my Felt bayonet bar.

Edit: Bayonet bar, not a Devox
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 2, 18 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed Clip Lite would be your answer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
How would any of these aftermarket stems fit this bike?

If the steerer is 1-1/8 then lots of stems will fit. They won't be integrated to fit that bike, so they will look like crap (leave a gap between stem and nose fairing). Although a little time with foam, bondo, FG, and paint could pretty that up,

The steerer also appears to be quite short. If you go this route I think you'll want an FSA or Syntace low stack stem:

Quote Reply