Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for reviews of Desoto Skin Cooler Short sleeve Top
Quote | Reply
Anyone wear it in a race?

I am looking for a decent top to use for sprint, international races this year. Races are in May, July and August. I live in Southern MD.

Thanks.

Years ago I used to wear a nike dri fit sleeveless tight fit top.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for reviews of Desoto Skin Cooler Short sleeve Top [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been racing in De Soto stuff exclusively since 2005. Fantastic kit all round. In the last coupe of years I swapped from 2 piece to 1 piece short sleeved suit. That is made of the same Skincooler fabric, just stitched to the bottom.

Was great in the heat (high 20s) for the run leg of a half ironman, but equally was fine at the start of the bike of the ironman where the temp was down about 14 - I was concerned I'd get too cold, but was fine. Only time I struggled was I had some digestive issues that meant I vomitted all my nutrition out and ended up out on the run course later than I expected - and so it was starting to head to dusk as I finished just before 12 hours and was getting chilly in that last hour of 'race walking'.

Well thought out pockets, good detailing on the zip, and the materials last a long time if you don't wear in a chlorinated pool. I've finally binned the 2005 shorts 2 years ago, but can't tell the difference between the 2011 and 2015 ones - both look almost new despite being used for 3x weekly trainer sessions and as undershorts for all my running for years.

One final point, due to living in NZ I had to pay $250 duty on the kit. And I did that gladly in preference to using other brands. I've tried a couple, and they get used under my wetsuit sometimes, but that's all. Just don't work as well for me.

Specifically in terms of the shortsleeved top for short distance races, I can't say. Wouldn't be my personal preference (the one piece would be). Can't see any significant flaws with it though, as compared to any other top.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for reviews of Desoto Skin Cooler Short sleeve Top [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean this one, right? https://www.desotosport.com/...rt-sleeve-top-sale-1

I have two and love them. Wore one during a marathon in Florida last year, and those spine pockets really came in handy. Kept a sponge in two of them for extra cooling between aid stations. Really well made, very comfortable, and good breathability too.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for reviews of Desoto Skin Cooler Short sleeve Top [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of them and they are great. My only complaint is the light colored ones stain extremely easily with sweat or sunscreen whatever. They don't stay white long.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for reviews of Desoto Skin Cooler Short sleeve Top [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that one. Thanks. It seems nice, just wonder how it would function on bike. Is it loose or form fitting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very form fitting. Nice and tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the long sleeve version. It stops my arms getting burnt on the bike. Comfortable and cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top is fitted, but not compression fit like the Nike top. It's not flappy like a t-shirt, but is closer to a bike jersey than a skinsuit/trisuit. Not a bad option for the run, but you'd be giving up some time on the bike.

Here you can see the fit (from De Soto's website)

Compared to De Soto's trisuit:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply