Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for new pedals
Quote | Reply
Looking at new pedals, I just bought a Litespeed Saber. The only type of pedal that I have use in the past are LOOKS, not to say LOOKS aren't good, just looking for other reviews of pedals.
Quote Reply
Speedplay [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people on this forum, myself included, really like the Speedplay pedals. They are very light, and they are very easy to get in and out of. Some people like the Zeros because of the adjustable float. Some, like me, use the regulars because float has just never been an issue for them. Some people complain of hot spots because of a small area of contact. I have never understood this complaint at all, since the foot never touches the pedal.

I have never used them, but there are a lot of Looks out there. They can't be bad.

If I wanted to experiment, I would give the Speedplays a try. You can buy them on eBay all the time. If you don't like them, you can resell them and be out the cost of postage. It is hard to go wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for new pedals [ajmilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than spd on my mountain bike, I have ridden Look since the mid 80s so I can not join the regular debates about the various pedal styles. However, if you like Look (or that style since these are slightly different cleats) the new Shimano's are pricey but definitely the heat. I have had mine since Christmas and love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for new pedals [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can wait until March, then you can get the Ultegra version of the SPD-SL pedal. According to Excel: $139, which puts it right in the middle of the Look line.

Anybody knows what the difference with the D/A will be?

Also, the problem I have with my cheap Look (247's) is the fact that they use this cheap-a$$ sleeve bearing on the outside of the pedal: the pedal wobbles slightly right out of the box. Shimano uses cartridges both on the inside and outside, so the pedal is rock solid. Does anybody know if the more expensive Look models use sleeves like my 247's, or real bearings, like good pedals?

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Speedplay systems. I rode X-1/X-2 models for many years before I bought new bikes last year and put the Zeros on them. Either system is rock solid and dependable. Hotspots? Only if you are still using an '80s vintage softer soled shoe. Any of the newer shoe designs eliminate that possibility, especially the carbon soled shoes. I like the Zeros not for the adjustable float, although it does allow me to limit inward rotation to prevent chainstay rub, but rather I like it for the cleat design. I'm getting slightly more wear out of a pair of cleats than with the old system. It has to do with the spring (X series) vs the more substantial "clamp" of the Zeros, I think. Either cleat is more durable, BUT more expensive to replace than the nylon Look cleat. I think that evens out in the end. I really like the double sided entry, but lets face it, anyone who's ridden Look for years has no problem clipping into that system either. Its muscle memory. One REAL difference is the stack height. You'll be a lot closer to the pedal with the Speedplays, meaning a slight seatpost adjustment. It may be psychological, but I feel more connected to the crank/pedal system with less between me and the pedal axle. Whenever I've ridden Look briefly since I've been on Speedplay, I always feel like I'm "on top of" the pedal and somehow less connected. You'd only notice this after some time on Speedplays. I have never had a pair of Speedplays fail, even when they took a heavy hit in a crash. Simple system, awesome performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the Orb pedal from m2racer [url]http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=2[/url]

Slowman mentioned it in his review of Interbike and said it was a product to watch.
[url]http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/product2003/inter2003/daytwo.html[/url]

It looks interesting and I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out with looks went to Speedplays for a year then went back to look. My reasons: the speedplays were nice but I had two issues with them both of which might be related to the fact that I'm a big guy at 6'1" 225.
1. I kept popping out in hard sprints [ i like to road race]
2. The small pedal surface was uncomfortable in long out of the saddle climbs, I felt I needed a larger support area

that said I went back to some high end Looks and I am quite happy with the choice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for new pedals [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got the SPD-sl and i've already mentioned cleat durability being a factor but i really like them---IMO they should have Ti axles---or is there some inherent benefit in using steel in axles as opposed to ti---if these pedals had ti axles theyd be perfect.

Im sure the ultegra line of the spd-sl will be a bit heavier, a little less shiny, say ultegra and have 2-3 less bearings.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
ORB Pedals by M2Racer [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also interested in anyone's feedback about the ORB pedals. Somebody out there must have bought them.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a speedplay fan as well. I use the standard pedals and have since 1998. They are super light and really easy to get in and out of. I used Look pedals before but wouldn't consider going back to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi ,

I used the look pedals in the past. They are good, but I decided to change to Campagnolo Centaur...
They were in a good price.... They have a very good flotation and are much lighter.....

I decided to buy an equal pair for my other bike...

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Keywins [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Keywins http://www.bigtwincycling.com/keywin.html. Look-size platform, Speedplay-size weight. Can't understand their lack of popularity here in the U.S. Only drawback is availability.
Quote Reply