Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwichers, I'm crowdsourcing some ideas for a birthday destination race next March (mid to end of March 2020). It's a big one so I really want to do something fun in a beautiful place. Here are a few ideas so far. What else am I missing out there??

Top Picks:

A full marathon in Moorea French Polynesia. This is top of the list so far but downside is the LONG flight from the East Coast. I am not a good flyer but will endure for something special. (have done a full marathon in Barbados in 2017 so I can handle extreme heat)

Ironman Campeche 70.3 - another possibility. We did PR 70.3 in 2017 and loved it! So we can do a hot 70.3 during that time of year. Well my husband will suffer on the run but he's tough :-)

Aruba - has a sprint Aquathlon (never done one) but would prefer something longer. Have always wanted to visit Aruba. And I hear the mountain biking is awesome there so that would be a part of the trip

Ironman Bariloche 70.3 in Patagonia - this is was what I originally wanted to do...... but I am worried about two bikes getting there on time and safely (read one blog about an athlete not racing Bariloche as his bike didn't make it). And being herbivores, I have been warned by a friend who was recently there that it is very hard for vegetarians and vegans (please be nice).

Anyhoo....what other March destination races have you done and recommend?? And if you have done some of my top picks, I'd love feedback. Thanks in advance!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM New Zealand (and isn't there also a 70.3 the same day?) First weekend of March.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
IM New Zealand (and isn't there also a 70.3 the same day?) First weekend of March.

Oh I have IMNZ on my bucket list for sure. I live in Vermont, USA and training for a full IM in the winter months is not something I'm ready to do. I don't think I could give up all outdoor activities and sit on a trainer every weekend for 4-6 hrs. So much easier training for 70.s in the winter. I can still get outside.... But eventually we will have the freedom to work remotely in far away places for longer periods of time (longer than a few weeks). When that time comes I'd want to spend a couple months there. Work and train and then do the IM. Same goes for IM Lanzorate. My dream is to live out there one winter and then do the IM.

If we went all the way to NZ I think I'd want to do the full IM :-). But so cool there is a 70.3 the same day. My husband could do that :-)

Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Mar 5, 19 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lavaman
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done Campeche and it is a great race. Hot. I wanted to go back this year ( they have reverted to the year one bike course, which is flatter) but work derails it and I’m not entirely sure that the afternoon start is a good idea in terms of temperature! I’ll see what folks think before I commit again. I have not done Bariloche but it is on my list too...I have worked in Argentina for a three month stretch, and if you are vegan/vegetarian I could see that being challenging. They LOVE their steak.
It’s a little earlier than what you are looking for, but I did Dubai this year and that is a great race. We probably got a bit lucky on the day (folks said last year was a lot hotter), but we had perfect weather at about 78 degrees and sunny. Neat place to look around, tons of hotels, and a slow time for travel so you may be able to find a cheap ticket.
Good luck with whatever you choose!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMNZ. I just entered for next year after doing it last Saturday. First time I did it was 2008 when we flew over from the UK. Yep, winter training was hard work, but loved it so much and the atmosphere in Taupo was so great we moved over here in 2010. There is a reason it's the oldest IM outside of Hawaii, and has 50% overseas athletes.

You can do it, just need to get the long rides in on 'good' days and not fixed Saturday /Sunday. Biggest block for me was not being able to do any open water swimming. But for a 'destination' race then you in part go for the experience not a PB. I rocked up after injury and had the best IM I've ever done for enjoyment, albeit 3 hours slower than my PB.

As said, the 70.3 is same day, same course, so you get the buzz of the full IM crowd and show if you want to limit training to more sensible winter stuff of 2 hour rides / runs. Still the OW swim issue, but get here a week early, enjoy seeing some of NZ as you get over the jet lag and then do a short swim each moring and you'll be 99% set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A race I always have wanted to do, but it's mid-April, Strongman Japan:
http://www.miyako-net.ne.jp/strong-e/
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I second IMNZ.

Then travel around the South Island. You honestly will be surprised hourly how beautiful the island is.

A week after the Ironman is the https://motatapu.com/macpac-motatapu/ again simply incredible countryside.

You’ll talk about the beauty into your 70s.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkyFly Gal wrote:
I have done Campeche and it is a great race. Hot. I wanted to go back this year ( they have reverted to the year one bike course, which is flatter) but work derails it and I’m not entirely sure that the afternoon start is a good idea in terms of temperature! I’ll see what folks think before I commit again. I have not done Bariloche but it is on my list too...I have worked in Argentina for a three month stretch, and if you are vegan/vegetarian I could see that being challenging. They LOVE their steak.
It’s a little earlier than what you are looking for, but I did Dubai this year and that is a great race. We probably got a bit lucky on the day (folks said last year was a lot hotter), but we had perfect weather at about 78 degrees and sunny. Neat place to look around, tons of hotels, and a slow time for travel so you may be able to find a cheap ticket.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the ideas!

SkyFly Gal - thanks for the feedback on Campeche! I have always wanted to race in Mexico. (Hope to do Coz someday). Did you fly into Cancun and drive or did you fly into Campeche or the other airport which is north? I think Delta goes to Campeche from JFK? And did you stay close to the finish area?

I still dream of French Polynesia but that flight....I think I'd need some prescription meds to get me through that lol....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want an event and not necessarily a race, I know Race Quest does events most of the winter months in Costa Rica. Although I think March is a mountain bike camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an exciting March destination race for 2020 [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
If you want an event and not necessarily a race, I know Race Quest does events most of the winter months in Costa Rica. Although I think March is a mountain bike camp.

That sounds really fun! I love Costa Rica! We went there for my 40th bday 9 years ago. I wasn't competing, but we did a ton of hiking. So awesome. My husband wasn't crazy about the snakes but I'd still go back there again.

Quote Reply