Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model.
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to get a Wahoo Kickr or Tacx Neo 2T soon and am trying to figure out which app to use to control the trainer. I’m not particularly interested in online racing, videos of courses, etc. I’m mostly interested in creating my own custom interval workouts, such as a Tabata 20/10s, 30/30s, 5 min/5 mins, and then having the trainer execute those workouts. It looks like the Tacx app has a custom workout builder and the basic version of their app is free. So that might work but then I will be locked into using the Tacx trainer. Is their another app that is not based upon a subscription model, that is not locked into using a specific trainer, that will allow me to create a custom workout and then it will control the trainer to execute the workout? I’ve read enough to know that TrainerRoad and Zwift have custom workout capabilities, but don’t really want to spend $15/month or more just to use that feature. Any ideas? Any apps I’m missing? Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [RWG4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Golden Cheetah?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, forgot about Golden Cheetah. I will look further into GC's capabilities. Any other options you can think of that might work with iOS? Thank you for the reply!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [RWG4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a Garmin head unit (or any of the other ANT+ FE-C capable ones) I think you can just have the head unit control the trainer if you program a workout.

Here's an old but helpful DC Rainmaker post about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using ICW for a couple of years. The workout creator is pretty good - I have a ton of 4 x 10 minute, 3 x 15 and 2 x 20 FTPish efforts defined. You need an android phone or tablet with an OTG usb adapter to ANT+ (or native ANT+ support). Picks up my ANT+ candance, HR and runs my Wahoo KickR (2015) perfectly. I bought the PRO versions and coach based training plans - I think total cost was $7 or $8 dollars - (one time fee).

Google Play Link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use a Garmin they can confirm your trainer so you wouldn’t need an app to do it. Just create the workout in Garmin Connect and you’re good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
If you use a Garmin they can confirm your trainer so you wouldn’t need an app to do it. Just create the workout in Garmin Connect and you’re good to go.

This or you can make them through the Tacx app. Pretty straight forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPro Studio.

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [MiRoBu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MiRoBu wrote:
BayDad wrote:

I tried the tacx app several times and it made no sense at all to me. Was a huge PITA.

The Garmin way works well though.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
MiRoBu wrote:
BayDad wrote:

I tried the tacx app several times and it made no sense at all to me. Was a huge PITA.

The Garmin way works well though.

Make the workout online through Tacx but use the app for the workout. It’s a click and drag system.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [MiRoBu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was still abysmal. And couldn't do exactly what I was looking for. Can't remember now, but I know it was a pain needing to use both my PC and my phone to set it up, and there was something really simple that it seemed not to be able to do.

I would have been wanting to do some power / time based intervals but for some reason it couldn't do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Was still abysmal. And couldn't do exactly what I was looking for. Can't remember now, but I know it was a pain needing to use both my PC and my phone to set it up, and there was something really simple that it seemed not to be able to do.

I would have been wanting to do some power / time based intervals but for some reason it couldn't do that.

I’ll agree it isn’t easy on the phone but neither is doing it in Zwift on the phone.

I didn’t have issues on the computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pen and paper. Write the workout up, then push on the pedals and look at watts and time. No program needed...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good suggestion. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
PerfPro Studio.

Totally agree. PerfPro is definitely worth the purchase. Tons of importable workouts. Easy to customize. And tons of analytics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to what was already said, beyond simplicity and easy integration, a unique thing about Garmin connect workout planner is that you can have nested repeats - i.e. repeat inside a repeat
I know its really nit picking, but it does give insane flexibility if that's what you are looking for
Building workouts on the phone is terrible with the number slider, but the web interface works really well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPro. It's about $100. I bought it years ago and was able to upgrade to their 2020 version without an additional fee. It's good software.

Those are good trainers, but you might want to consider the H3 as well. Based on the DC Rainmaker review, it's really good at erg mode and it sounds like you're going to use erg mode all the time. I have a Neo 2T. It's the most expensive trainer, and part of what you're paying for are features like real road feel and the motor for downhill simulation. I think those features are cool, but I ride a lot of routes and never use erg mode and you said you have no interest in routes. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a Neo or a Kickr, but if you're going to live in erg mode you might want to give the H3 some consideration, especially since you can probably find it for cheaper than the others.

"And the H3 easily passed this test. In fact, it did it really well. The control exhibited by the trainer in maintaining the wattage set-point was easily the best I’ve tested this season, including things not yet announced. It’s really strong. I remember talking with one of the leads at TrainerRoad a year or so ago, and he mentioned how for his personal use he really preferred the CycleOps Hammer because of how precise it was in ERG mode. There’s no doubt that tradition has carried through to the Saris H3 as well."

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-trainer-review.html
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for an App to create custom workouts for Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr. Not based on subscription model. [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much. I read the review on the H3 and it looks solid. I greatly appreciate everyone's tips on this thread!
Quote Reply