Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looking for american made only tri bike
Quote | Reply
Willing to spend $2000, any experience out there with some advicewould greztly be appreciated. Are some overseas companies based in us?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [fmastrangelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you just looking for a US-made frame, or do you want the COMPLETE bike to be made in America? If so, you're going to have a hell of a time...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [SUX02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
specialized has a new line this year ,any thoughts. entry bike is light blue with a 105/ultegra mix @$1600
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
us frame- does cervelo have a plant in us?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the P2k is made in Asia and the P3 is still made in the USA. (could be wrong though - Gerard?) If it's just a US-made frame you're looking for however, your search is pretty easy. Serotta, Seven, Lightspeed, Waterford, Titan-Flex, Steelman, Trek, Sachs, and my personal favourite - Yaqui are all 100% made in the USA. There are a lot more that don't immediately spring to mind, too.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AFAIK, all Specialized and Giant bikes are made in Taiwan. Most of the frames actually made in the U.S. are expensive (unless you get them used): Litespeed, Merlin, QR (I think they are still made in USA), and the upper-end of the Cannondale and, I think, Trek lines. Not sure about their tri-bikes. Then you have all the "microbrew" and custom manufacturers, like Moots, Seven, Serotta, Richard Sachs, Landshark, IF, Yaqui/Mandaric, Calfee, Parlee, etc.

I don't know what size you are, but you might look for a nice used QR or Litespeed on preownedbikes.com. But then again, if you are buying used, what difference does it make where it was made? And, of course, as someone mentioned, what components will you use?

Quote | Reply
Litespeed with a Reynolds fork, American Classic wheels, Speedplay pedals, Thompson Seatpost and stem. That is about as far as you'll get in the good 'Ol U.S. of A. (Unless you don't want to shift)

I'd find a nice, used Litespeed Blade or Saber (tri geometry) titanium for that price range. Yaqui would be pretty nice too (but Ves is not a "real" American :)

Quote | Reply
Elite Bicycles Razor

www.elitebicycles.com

go to the product section, click on the sample pics of the Razor and T-Class. They're out of Philadelphia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you want to limit yourself for a US only made frame? Just curious.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elite, Trek, Cannondale, and Softride might be options. (Are Softrides still made in the US?)
If not, Titanflex still are.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roof, as much as I love the American Classic wheels, I believe that they are assembled by hand here in the USA but the components US made, don't quote me but I am quite certain. The 420's rock and if you have to do a lot of climbing my 350's are the lightest wheelset out these which is clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Guru. I understand they are made in Canada but Canada is nothing more then our 51st state. It should count.

Yeah cerveloguy I am laughing at Canada. What are you going to do aboot it?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [Jonathan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're going to come down there for you on our dogsleds, then when we hit somewhere warm, we're going to canoe down the rivers until we get to you.

once we get there...we'll harpoon you like a seal.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy. Yaqui Manzanita. Priced at $1795 for a complete bike. Made in Southern California. Yaqui rules. Search the forum for Yaqui to see what I mean.

http://www.yaquiusa.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fmastragelo,

Not sure if you mean a bike sold/marketed by an American bicycle manufacturer or if you meant frame medi in US. I don't know why this should end up being an issue but you are the ultimate boss.

Have you looked at the Treck Equinox or Felt bicycles? Both have complete tri bikes within your price range. If you are going to expand your search to the 51st state (Canada as another poster indicated) then Cervelo must surely have a tri bike in this price range.

I suspect there are other US manufacturers that also have tri bikes in this price range. I, however, am not familiar with their offerings.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"my personal favourite - Yaqui are all 100% made in the USA."

If I recall, Ves is not American by birth. Does that mean his bikes are 100% American made? I mean, really, what does "American-made" mean anymore? Is it the materials? The manufacturing process? The workers? All of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Felt bicycles?"

Please refresh my memory if I'm incorrect...but hasn't it been a while since Felt's bikes in the $2000 range were american made frames? Jim's a nice corn-fed American...but if he farms some of his manufacturing out overseas, does that mean his stuff is american made?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy,

I forgot to mention James Frames in Colorado. JP, as he goes by, may be able to supply a custom bicycle in that price range. However, I don't think he competes in triathlons and so that may disqualify him in the eyes of many. For that reason, he couldn't possibly have sufficient knowledge of tri bike geometry to build a tri bike.

Another consideration should probably be whether the frame material is US made or imported. Reynolds tubing is not US made unless I am wrong. Neither is True Temper. Many of the aluminum alloys used to manufacture bicycles are manufactured overseas and imported to the US. Now much of the titanium used for US bicycle building is manufactured in the US I believe, but again, I think we are going outside the price range.

While we're at it, why should we limit just the frame to US manufacture? The componentry typically represents 50% or more of the total cost of the bike.

If keeping US dollars at home or stimulating US manufacturing is the issue, why not similarly insist on all US made bike including componentry?

How about it fmastrangelo?

Now if its stimulating US manufacturing jobs, why not consider a Seven or a Serotta? Oh, those are outside the price range. Must be that one doesn't want to stimulate US manufacturing too much, quantity wise, or too much, impact wise.

It always amused me how many union members (not presuming fmastrangelo is a union member) frequently remind or insist that we support union made products and yet they, themselves, flock to the lowest cast providers who invariably are non union businesses. Anyone else see a double standard here?

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben the guy ask a simple question why do you have to get so defensive?

Dave
Last edited by: baddog590: Mar 16, 05 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [baddog590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two questions i am wondering about-

why is "american made" important to you?

defining "american made" would help

SP

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [sp in az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canonndale Hand Made in the USA

Says so all over the bike in about 8 different places.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this. Elite Bicycles is not only American Based but their main welder is an American Indian.

You can't get more American then that!

www.elitebicycles.com

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy whatever you want and put these on your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&ssPageName=WDVW
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for american made only tri bike [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you are being silly. I think Ves has been in the U.S for at least 20 years. He makes all his bikes in Southern California and even uses a lot of Reynolds forks, which are also made in the USA. And the bikes just rock. If I could do it over again I would just buy the Manzanita for $1800 or so, complete bike. I have a Mariola that is nice, but I think the real treat from a Yaqui bike comes from his geometry choices and building process more than any funky scandium tubing.

Of course, I'm not sure the initial post wasn't intended to be silly anyway.

Chad

P.S. By the way, how are you? I ran the LA Marathon and it was a bust, again. Ran out of gas at 18 again, though I didn't tighten up and never walked. Felt fine three days later and feel completely recovered after 10. Don't know why I can't keep it rolling for 26. Oh, well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next