Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a little help with the run taper
Quote | Reply
Ironman Texas is two weeks away, and I am very pleased with my BarryP-style build; I'm just finishing my ninth straight 50 mile week, six days of running per week, every week. I've been targeting consistency above all else and have done exactly zero miles of speedwork.

My question is about how to bring it home for the next two weeks. Race week (week of 4/22) will be pretty straight forward: usual no running on Monday, travel Tuesday, then probably 2-4 miles Wednesday through Friday. But what about this coming week (week of 4/15)? Usually I would follow the conventional wisdom of reducing volume while keeping intensity, but since I've done no intensity, that won't really work.

So what would you do? Keep the six day per week frequency and drop from 50 miles to 30? Or 40? Or do another week of 50? I guess I could start some speedwork now, although that seems a little odd.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a little help with the run taper [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the consistent run build! I've been doing something fairly similar for my last few IM builds and a simple reduction of volume (roughly 20-30%) while keeping frequency has worked really well for me for that first week of taper. Race week, I run every other day for about 30 minutes most of it at goal race pace. Have a good one!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a little help with the run taper [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would run 5-6 mile race pace every other day with no running last 2 or 3 days.

Congrats on managing your reigeem, no mean feat in itself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Effective tapers seem to keep frequency the same while reducing duration and intensity although keeping some intensity in there.

Since you've just been running I'd just reduce the duration of my athletes runs and maybe add in some short :20-:30 faster efforts with full recovery a couple of times per week.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a little help with the run taper [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I did a similar approach for the St.G half last year (40 mile weeks). That worked pretty well, so this time around I figured if it ain't broke...

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a little help with the run taper [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Effective tapers seem to keep frequency the same while reducing duration and intensity although keeping some intensity in there.

Since you've just been running I'd just reduce the duration of my athletes runs and maybe add in some short :20-:30 faster efforts with full recovery a couple of times per week.

Thanks, that's good advice. I was feeling pretty wary of doing a full on tempo run, but some short efforts makes more sense.

How much would you have your athletes reduce in volume? My general plan is to drop from 50 to ~35 this week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Ironman Texas is two weeks away, and I am very pleased with my BarryP-style build; I'm just finishing my ninth straight 50 mile week, six days of running per week, every week. I've been targeting consistency above all else and have done exactly zero miles of speedwork.

My question is about how to bring it home for the next two weeks. Race week (week of 4/22) will be pretty straight forward: usual no running on Monday, travel Tuesday, then probably 2-4 miles Wednesday through Friday. But what about this coming week (week of 4/15)? Usually I would follow the conventional wisdom of reducing volume while keeping intensity, but since I've done no intensity, that won't really work.

So what would you do? Keep the six day per week frequency and drop from 50 miles to 30? Or 40? Or do another week of 50? I guess I could start some speedwork now, although that seems a little odd.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Keep the volume up this week too. You don't want to go from 80 to 20miles this week, then keeping it low next week too.
Quote Reply