Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a Coach
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a coach to train me for IR Hawaii03. I live in Las Vegas,NV and would like some one close. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [LVTRIBOY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be controversial but... The best coach is yourself. Become a student of the sport. Read the books, read this forum, ask questions, go to the races, talk to other athletes, keep a training log. Learn everything you can and try to apply it. In the end you will thank yourself. It's a longer road to be sure but more rewarding and possibly work better.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fully agree with Tom. I took my first lap in the pool because I was paying a spitload for my gym and wanted to get every dollar out of it! Two months later, I decided I liked it. I also decided that since I liked biking and tolerated running, I could become one of those triathlete guys.

Bought a few books, developed my own plan, read and learned a lot on this site and a few others. Ten months after my first pool lap, I finished IMFlorida.

I've since done LP and despite vowing never to become a gear guy, I own two bikes (P2k and a Bianchi San Remo touring number), six wheels (Renn disk, Zipp 3000 trispoke, Rolf Vectir Comps, and the stock wheels with the Bianchi), and a bunch of other stuff that has made me eat my words many times.

The training spreadsheet I've developed on my own is pretty complicated, but it's also proven very effective in my own training and that of my friends. If I have a goal and know how many hours per week I can train, the spreadsheet plots every workout between now and race day. I'd be happy to talk about the plan with you offline, but for now, I'll echo what Tom says:

Learn for yourself. It's a fascinating sport. Oh, and be prepared to train heavily in that fourth discipline... spending.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Mr. D. However, if you are relatively new a coach can get you started out right correctly from the beginning. If you are in the Elite category, a coach may be able to steer you away from your bad tendencies, (whether that is too much training, too little training, too much fast work, too much long slow work, etc.).

I think most of the rest of us can do a pretty good job of training ourselves...but, you have to be willing to study it, observe a lot, experiment, and basically work at it.

If you are one of the people that just like to do what is prescribed for you to do that day without thinking...a coach might be good for you. Or, if you are too busy to do all the research, a coach might be good for you. Or, if you find yourself continuously doing worse in an event than you expected to do based on your training speeds, or if you get injured often, a coach may be good for you.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is much to be gained by becoming a student of the sport. There's a ton of information out there, seems like I've read most of it. The challenge is there is not one definitive body of work. There are divergent opinons on everything. It takes time and more advanced degrees then I have to figure them out. Last fall I went the coaching route, somewhat reluctantly. It felt like I was giving up, in a way I was. I just got tired of beating my head against the same wall. Best thing I ever did. I'm training less, and getting better results, 3 races, 3 PR's. All the reading, research, forum discussions, all the self-learning helps me to understand, challenge, apply the prescribed training.

It will come down to your goals and what will be required to meet them. I correspond through e-mail, phone, and have met my coach, training camps are in the future. The price is right. If you need the hands-on approach, don't settle for anything less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did exactly as Tom suggests; read everything - books, forums, articles magazines, talked to lots of people, made a training plan, tried various hydration and eating patterns etc etc.

There is certainly lot of information out there and it is amazing how much stuff you can get from people for free (experienced runners and cyclists at local clubs are a good source).

Self caoching certainly worked for me, was enjoyable and I learned a lot (and finished the Ironman!). AND I knew I could trust the coach - or at least I new all of his weaknesses...

It was however exteamly time consuming. If I were to do it over again now, with a lot less time (and a little more money) I would probably go more down the profesional coaching route, if only to ensure that my available time was spent training and not researching. I say 'probably' as there is still a part of me that likes to be self sufficient, and the total imersion (ie tri- training by day and tri- reading by night) helped my motivation.

On balance I would say if you are time poor and/or do not have much inclination for doing research then go for the coaching, if not then self coaching will work.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONTROVERSIAL is right. Many times I read Slowtwitch and get the sense that we can't shop - much less mount - a bike without certified assistance. That's a bit of hyperbole, but it explains my surprise in seeing a string of posts encouraging self-coaching.

Heard at a traditional music workshop this past weekend: If you're self-taught, your teacher knows no more than you do.

I've done it both ways. Working with a coach helped me work hard and recover "hard" in the right mix. It also allowed the bike to help the run to help the bike. It was like being able to write chamber music as opposed to writing a folk tune, bottling fine wine as opposed to bath tub gin.

That doesn't mean you don't still read everything in sight, talk to everyone you can and spend lots of time on the Slowtwitch Forum. At some point weaning yourself will be a good idea. But I recommend hooking up with a good coach and giving it a whirl.
Quote Reply
Wow, different than I thought. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I thought I was going to take serious heat for not supporting coaching from outside sources. Frankly, it's nice to feel like I'm not the lone ranger on this one! I was sure I'd get reamed by the coaches out there. Not to waffle, but there are good coaches and there is a lot to learn from them. I just didn't do it that way and sounds like a lot of you haven't either. Interesting...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wow, different than I thought. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knowing and doing are two different things. my girlfriend ran xc in college, coached xc in college, and now runs marathons...and nobody i know would benefit more from a coach. she knows everything there is to know about what you're supposed to do, but actually doing what is best is hard to do without an objective opinion from someone who has nothing other than your best interest at heart. get a coach. email me with any questions. hope this helps...good luck.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll be the pro-coach guy. Triathlon is the one place I like being told what to do, when to do it, at what hr, watts, etc (home-life is completely different, just ask my girlfiriend).

It's much easier for me to complete a 2.5hr session on the ct when I know the coach will be asking for feedback than just answering to myself.
However, I do like to know why I'm being told what to do so I ask.

And I believe there are good coaches out there for under $100/month. That's like the cost of a good bike short.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"out there for under $100/month. That's like the cost of a good bike short. "

Or...the cost of a Renn disc and a 404 front. Depends on which one you think will make you faster. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I **THINK** I agree with your underlying sentiment. Any triathlete will be well served by learning all that they can by reading, asking, observing, etc. But I have to disagree if you are suggesting that a coach then becomes a pricey luxury.

Here's why: I spent 17.5 years doing just that. I've read all the books, subscribed to all the mags, done over 100 races, talked to all the athletes I could, etc, etc. I have a vast knowlege of the sport at large including much of the history of how we've gotten to this point. I've taken all of that and used various methods to apply it to my training. I've been successful and happy with my performances for the most part. However, I've always felt like I could better use my time available for pursuit of triathlon. The planning/organizing/tracking/assimilating time overhead ate up a lot of my personal time available. This year I am finally able to return to the IM distance after 5 years of heavy duty military commitments. As an infantry officer I am very engaged with duty and have a finite amount of time to devote to triathlon while maintaining a balance with work/family/friends etc. I decided to hire a coach this year to take care of the "administrative" overhead involved. I think its been the best decision I've made with respect to preparing for my best performance. I don't have to spend the time required to plan my training schedule or assimilate and track results from tests/races/hard training sessions. I simply have to execute the training and report the results to my coach. I feel much more free while executing each training session to focus on the task at hand. Where I used to spend significant amounts of training time thinking about not only that session, but days and weeks ahead, I don't have to do that now. Ironically, I find that I enjoy just being out there training now much more than I used to, even when the training is pushing me well beyond the comfort zone. I don't spend nearly as much time worrying over whether what I'm doing is the most effective way to get me where I'm trying to go. Additionally, when I have difficult weeks with my military schedule, I simply call the coach and let him do the stubby pencil work in figuring out the best way around the problem. I get an executable training schedule back that accounts for jumbled training opportunities and once again don't have to spend my valuable time figuring it out. That is why it is worth my $$. I think most people with high volume jobs and families will find this a great benefit. But again, I bring a lot of background knowlege to the relationship so my coach has to do less educating, and more coaching/leading. Being a student of the sport is absolutely a great way to further one's enjoyment of the sport. Having a coach may seem like a luxury but I find it indispensable in balancing performance and enjoyment of multisport with the rest of my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a long time, and regular reader of the Slowtwitch Forum, but this is my first time posting.

I agree with the people who recommend reading as much as possible pertaining to training, various methods, diet, etc... but I feel that a coaching service can be invaluable based on my recent experience with one of the online services. Though I have many years of competitive experience in swimming, cycling, and running, a consistent training plan had improved my cardiovascular level, decreased and even eliminated previous chronic injuries, and has provided realistic training goals.

The following is a brief summary of what a coaching service can offer: race specific training programs (with daily, weekly, & monthly workouts) which is of importance as you can visualize and prepare for your training; have contact with an experienced coach - to address concerns (nutritional, orthopedic, cardiovascular, recovery, transition, etc), receive support, provide structure; receive educational information from swim drills to "fuel". An added bonus is the "tri" information you receive from when races are closing to clinics in your area.

I can honestly say my bike is stronger now than it has been in many, many years. My run has improved measurably. Now my training is more focused and structured. My wife has had a similar experience with this same coaching company and recently set a PR. This has really made a positive difference for both of us, so I would recommend TriMyCoach.com.

Disclaimer: To avoid any perceived conflict of interest my real name is listed. Though I have a career I am also a part time employee of Insideout Sports. Insideout and TriMyCoach do have a business relationship. That being said, I pay for my coaching service just like anyone else, so I feel entitled to my opinion. I feel strongly about this topic because I had two extremely frustrating years of injuries and lack luster results training myself - and it could have been prevented. Just my thoughts...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate everyone's input in this forum. I have learned much. After my second IM, I was intent on getting a tri coach. I've done 4 IM now and still self-coach. The main reason for me not getting one that I feel is qualified is the inability for the coach to see my technique. There are great websites and fanatstic coaches out there that I would love to train under. But the fact is I am not near one, so tough s@#$ for me!

I am strongly considering just going for it and getting an online coach, but something prevents me from hitting the send button on my computor. The basic question is; Is an online coach worth the money they ask for? If so, how can they see your swim/bike/run tehnique? Isn't that the real key to improvement?

Aloha,

Navi....stuck on an island
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Navi, videotape, and then when you get the chance, a face-to-face. With that much experience you ought to be able to use an on-line coaching service effectively. smartsportintl.com and $55/mo you'll get 2 week mesocyles, as much e-mail and phone support as you need, plus a forum of other SSI athletes who can help get you up to speed. Be safe out there!

Ex Nav,

Chappy
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a Coach [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with Chappy pertaining to the video tape and face to face when you can. Stride and stroke clinics are important as well as getting the proper fit and position on your bike. An online coach can offer really offers individualized structure of a workout plan that is tailored to your schedule, and targets the specific races you are participating in. Additionally, many plans are flexible (customized to your needs) and the will coach may change your workout per your input (shin-splints, I.T. Band etc...)

The bottom line for me is that my coach is worth every penny. I regret not doing it earlier, because it would have saved me two years of injuries and frustration, as I mentioned earlier.

Maybe try a short program (quarterly vice yearly) and see if it's for you. Nothing Ventured... Nothing Gained.

Regardless, Good Luck this season.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LVTriboy,

If you get a coach, I recommend Mike Plumb. There is NO ONE cheaper for the services he offers, bottom line. He is in San Diego, and I have no idea geographically how far that is from Las Vegas.

If you want some specifics on Mike, feel free to email me. I'd be happy to give you my thoughts.
Quote Reply