Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Look KG 486 Paint Finish Issue
Quote | Reply
I am considering purchasing a Look KG 486. The bike has been reviewed favorably, in fact, the only negative input I have heard is with regard to the quality of the paint finish - it chips too easily.

Can anyone speak to this particular issue as compared to other high-end bike finishes?

Any other comments regarding the quality of manufacture?

Finally, it seems like the 2003 version is a decent buy now, considering the fork and the paint scheme are the only differences. Any input?
Quote Reply
Re: Look KG 486 Paint Finish Issue [phreddyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking from personal experience here in the store, paint problems have not been an issue. We haven't had a ton of these (KG 486's) come through the store, less than 5 altogether, and they were all beautiful.

I have a KX Light road bike with '04 Record. Basically, Look bikes are very, very nice. Each of the models we have sold we've had good experiences with.

The '04 bottom bracket on the KG486 is, I am told, substantially different than the '03. There is an "espresso style" teardrop shaped, skeletonized aluminum girder reinforcement in the bottom bracket shell. It makes the bike supercharged when you stand on the pedals. On a climb, it is sick.

I seem to recall, but am not certain, the bottom bracket on the '03's did not have the teardrop girder reinforced BB shell.

IMHO it is worth it to get the '04 if the '03 is missing the girder reinforcement in the BB shell. Having said that, the rest of the bike is basically a dream. I am surprised we haven't seen more of these.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my KG 486 since last April - the last 6 mos have been here in NZ dealing with lots of rubbish/rocks on the road. I have only one chip in the frame which comes from being banged about on Swiss trains. Pretty minor chip and considering that this is the only problem I have had (other than very poorly placed bottle mounts) I think it is not really an issue.

Overall, I couldnt be any happier with the frame.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Look KG 486 Paint Finish Issue [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the input. I will investigate the 2003 further with regard to the bottom bracket girder, as I was unaware of that potential difference.

What is your opinion on the 10 speed DA versus the 9 speed set on this bike? The Frame is pretty pricey as it is, and am wondering if the drive train is a reasonable place to save some money assuming that both options are very good?
Quote Reply
Re: Look KG 486 Paint Finish Issue [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good morning Tom,

I had a 486 post 2-3 weeks ago and was hoping to draw out your expertise, but alas, you were doing some little event down under. ;) Back to more important matters, where I'm from this bike is impossible to find for a demo ride. I currently ride a 57c (c-t) Colnago Ovalmaster Ti. Is there any way to extrapolate from what I currently ride and the make, whether the Look 486 would be a good bike for me? Also, any thoughts on this bike set up for triathlon? I read your article on Stormin Norman, but didn't really draw from that your personal opinion on setting this bike up steep.

Thanks.

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you asked about the KG 486, but figured I'd pipe in about the paint finish on my 2002 KG 386 (the blue bike Normann Stadler rode to a couple IM victories in Oz). It's chipped in several places, all of them being small nicks. I'm not even sure what caused the nicks as I can't recall banging the frame around anywhere and I haven't transported it long distance. It doesn't worry me except when I think about resale value.

Other than that the bike is so solid I might do my next hilly IM on it rather than use a steep-angle tri bike.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply