Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longest time away from triathlon?
Quote | Reply
I've started back up for the last few months, after an 11 year absence from tri's.

I'm not sure if my wetsuit still fits or is viable
My bike is no longer "hot"
I'm 30 pounds heavier.
I'm nearly 50 now..

but I've been consistently training since May.

Question is: What is the longest absence you've taken from triathlon training? and how long until I'm officially "back"?
Quote Reply
Re: Longest time away from triathlon? [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was away from it for 28 years. I had started cycling because of running injuries, and swimming for a healthier core and upper body... then entered a small local sprint on a whim... and won it... and that pretty much sucked me back in full force. I'd say you are already officially back, if you are training for an upcoming event.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Sep 5, 19 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
37 years

I may not qualify though because now I'm "only" an Aquabiker... btw I'm pretty close to being as fast now as I was when I was 31.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20+... my future might be the aquabike :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're back now.
Stop worrying about it and do your best and enjoy it.

And to answer your question.. 2 years. It doesn't really matter though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21 years

I was born in 98

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took 2 years off (series of injuries). Returned last year & bombed horribly at my first race, walking all the run aid stations. But after that, did quite well the rest of the season even setting a lifetime PR in a half at age 49. Followed by an OA win only 6 days later in a sprint...totally wasn't trained to do that, but you get lucky sometimes and have a lifetime performance when you least expect it. Of course, this year I'm back sucking arse again...I call it "old age" as the determining factor (even if it's not).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my last "young" tri in 1988 . . . didn't do my next one until 2014. Finally won my age group at the local tri in 2017 and haven't done one since (injuries, moving cross country, grandkids popping out left and right etc). I am running pretty consistently and adding biking back into the mix. Hope to be swimming again soon and get back into Tri early next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Longest time away from triathlon? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
21 years

I was born in 98

No.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 14 year taper.

Came back Clydesdale, used my old wetsuit (tight fit lol), and steel bike.

Got consistent training, dropped the weight, slowly upgraded gear, and improved my time.

Enjoy the return!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Almost 9 years and now 56 years old. IM Canada Aug 30th 2010 to 70.3 Victoria June 2nd 2019. Same bike 2009 Cervelo P2c. I refuse to upgrade the bike, Chrissie won Kona on it!! It wasn't my finest effort but I did PB in the swim and that's with 8 years of no swimming at all. When I crossed the finish line in Victoria I swore that was it. I had tried it again but the experience wasn't what I remembered. I trained very little the rest of this summer and I'm missing it again. I'm not done. Looking for my A race next season and back at it!
I received great advise from a friend after Victoria "Expect nothing, accept everything".
Best of Luck!

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13 year hiatus. 2.5 years to get back. I'm now 46 and the fastest I've ever been. But using an 80/20 endurance plan would keep you from screwing around for 1.5 years and accelerate that process, IMHO - best move I ever made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to take a 3 year break trying to get my right hip issue worked out. Ended up having to have it resurfaced in order to be able to run again. I think what was worse than the pain of surgery/rehab etc. was not being able to participate. I am very grateful to be able to back in the sport so just give it time, you'll find your way back! Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last triathlon as a young triathlete was October 2006 in Kona. Then came back in 2014, but only short distance. After many (many) injuries, last June went back to IM, to win the 45M.
So that is a +7year hiatus from triathlon at all, and +12years from IM.
My best piece of advice: never leave the gym.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply