Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longer Cranksets
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have inseem 91cm(195cm tall), should I buy a longer crankset than 175mm? I have today a crankset that's 175mm (sh105) and I'm currently thinking of buying a dura ace 180mm.

I have more legpower than good cadence, would my cadence suffer or benefit with a longer crankset?

Best Regards Dave

Quote | Reply
Sounds like pretty short cranks for such a big guy. I have a 77 cm inseam and 165 cm cranks. Seems like you should be 180 or longer.

If you want input from someone obsessed with the issue, go visit thankstomycranks.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks too short [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thankstomycranks.com

Doesn't seems to work, but I know it should because I have visited that site before.

But i still wonder if I my already quite low cadence(85/minute) would suffer or benefit with a longer crankset?

Best Regards Dave

Quote | Reply
I find that when I go to a shorter crank, my cadence goes up. I think you are so far off on crank size though that I wouldn't want to say that would apply in your case.

You are a big strapping guy. You should try a bigger crank. I would think you need at least a 180, maybe more. Get that and then learn to spin. I am only 172 cm tall though, so I don't pretend to relate well to someone your size.
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I have a little longer inseam than you and I ride 175mm cranks. This is primarily because this is the length crank that comes stock on bikes in my size. Is it the right size for me? Actually, I don't know. I'm not tinkering with it for now because I'm experiencing no discomfort, I'm messing around with other variables (training, cadence, position, I just don't want to change to many things at once), and it seems to me to be an expensive thing to mess with. Cranks ain't cheap, and in order to find the "correct" length, I imagine I'd have to experiement with a bunch of different lengths.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks too short [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that 85 rpm is "quite low"at all.I have an inseam of 86 cm and a size 49 shoe.I use 180 cranks and am quite happy with them.I have more of a road backround and tend to spin more than you at 97 to 100.A longer crank might be better at 85rpm.There is no absolute on this subject.
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO crank length is pretty much a wash unless they are clearly way too long or way to short. I can't imagine it making more than 1% difference in power, which at 300 watts is 3 watts or less.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]IMHO crank length is pretty much a wash unless they are clearly way too long or way to short. I can't imagine it making more than 1% difference in power, which at 300 watts is 3 watts or less. [/reply]

I have dimensions similar to the original poster, and the switch from 165 to 175 made a very significant improvement (especially: the legs didn't get as toasted going up hills). Cadence seemed unaffected. I suspect I could go to 185, and would like to, but they seem to be specialty items that cost a lot. Anyone know of a good cheap source for long cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [pedaller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedaller at your height think 165's could well be considered "way to short" by most. what in the world were you doing on those?
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those circus clowns riding the bike with the little cranks. Most women don't ride 165 cranks let alone men his size.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Longer Cranksets [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]pedaller at your height think 165's could well be considered "way to short" by most. what in the world were you doing on those?[/reply]

They came with the bike 20 years ago when crank length didn't matter much. After over a decade of not riding I unpacked the bike and it certainly did feel like kiddie cranks.
Quote Reply