Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long sleeve trisuit?
Quote | Reply
Asking for LOML, she is looking for a trisuit (one piece) that has long sleeves for sun protection. Specifically, this is for hot weather and not long sleeves for warmth.

So far, the best I can find is a short sleeved tri suit and then add cycling specific arms.

Can anyone recommend anything better?
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT and Ironman rules restrict the length of tri suit sleeves to above the elbow. So, there may not be any manufactured with full-length sleeves, because they would not be race legal and therefore a tiny market.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I never thought of that. Well that explains the complete lack of sleeves! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same sun exposure issues. For training days it's sunscreen on the face and sun sleeves on the arms. Race day I will apply sunscreen early and often and hope there's some left on my skin when I finish the swim. I would not advise applying during T1 as that can lead to slippery hands on the bike and time lost messing around with it.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that they don't actually restrict the tri suit sleeves, but rather that since you can't have anything past your elbows in a non wetsuit swim, it effectively limits the length to not past the elbow. I'm pretty sure I've seen some people put on a full TT suit in T1 for full distance racing. There's at least been some discussion about that and the potential speed benefits depending on how fast you can get it on.

Could be wrong though!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from what ive seen HUUB's suit have the longest short sleeves. they go all the way down to the elbows, whereas it seems some stop short. very minimal difference but its still there.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right in that you could add arm coolers (or warmers) for the bike/run in a wetsuit illegal race or wear long sleeves all days long in a wetsuit legal race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've found what is out there. There are rules against sleeves below the elbow in the swim, so any full sleeves need to be added in T1.

My friend is a dermatologist and triathlete (Kona qualifier), and she applies copious sunscreen before and allows sufficient time to absorb. In Kona she added on full cooling sleeves. She's raced with just regular "to the elbow" sleeves on her tri suit - coverage over your shoulders is really important.

I have a Smashfest queen suit - and really enjoy the arm length in that one. Goes all the way to my elbows. I am only 5'3" though - so someone extremely tall would have less coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I was under the impression that they don't actually restrict the tri suit sleeves, but rather that since you can't have anything past your elbows in a non wetsuit swim, it effectively limits the length to not past the elbow.
You are right; my bad. I forgot that the sleeve length is for the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For races, I wear short sleeve tri suit and a visor, then just have a spray sunscreen at transition to apply at both T1 and T2 to back of neck, forearms, and legs. Spray is super fast and also doesn't get on your hands then, so no issues applying in T1 before the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One good option is a sleeveless trisuit, and then add De Soto Coolwings: https://www.desotosport.com/...de-of-skin-cooler-90. This way you get full coverage (no leaving the lats uncovered), and you can easy add it to an existing suit.

Personally, I prefer a 2pc for longer races, so a tight fitting Under Armour HeatGear longsleeve top ($35, and it's UPF50) paired with tri shorts (Castelli Free in my case).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Aug 18, 20 22:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub show one on their website but only in the mens sizing.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few guys I know who don't race long races without arm covering - they started doing it for Hawaii (a bit like Torbjorn Sindballe) but now do it in all races beyond OD. Better cooling, and faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Better cooling.
maybe, depending on conditions.

altayloraus wrote:
faster.
Maybe, depending on fit, arm hair if no cover etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of those fair, but the main guy I'm thinking of has got an Exercise Phys PhD and a few Hawaii AG wins, so he's got reason.

Having said that, he still rides tubulars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now we’re somewhat on the topic, what’s the reasoning behind no wetsuits above a certain temperature, no long sleeves without wetsuits and no disc wheels in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heat stroke, heat stroke, wind...
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeve trisuit? [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heat strokes, alright, But you Can wear long Sleeves on the bike and run?
As for wind, for front discs I’ll buy it, But not for rear.
Quote Reply