Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long rear skewer?
Quote | Reply
Quarantining here and the kids have taken up a renewed interest in riding around the neighborhood in the bike trailer.
The trailer attaches via the rear quick release.
I used to put the trailer on my cross bike, so a 135mm mtb skewer would work, but I got rid of the cross bike.
Trying to put the trailer on the mtb leaves not enough thread left to attach the nut confidently.
I'd rather not dump my kids out on the road.

In searching Google, I found some fat bike skewers that are 170mm, but I think that is too big.

Does anyone know if something like a 145 or 150mm rear quick release exists?
Quote Reply
Re: Long rear skewer? [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a bob yak trailer that fitted to my MTB with 135mm - I assume that had a longer skewer. Do they still make / supply them? In a worst case then the 170mm and some spacer collars would work fine, and I can't see any issues as the forces are all still close to the bike and I'm assuming the trailer is wider than 170mm anyway so not really risking catching it on anything (even my size 13s don't go that far back to the rear hub).
Quote Reply
Re: Long rear skewer? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought about just using some washers, but if I'm gonna buy something, I was hoping to buy one that I don't have to immediately hack.

I agree that the forces and width won't be an issue.

Our trailer is an off brand Craigslist special, so I doubt they'll be helpful. I'll check with BOB or Yakima. That's a good idea.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.halowheels.com/.../porkies-xl-skewers/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a turbo? If so check the QR that came with it. Both the Tacx and Elite skewers I have are slightly longer than standard even for the mtb standard. The thinking is probably they need to build a bit more tolerance into the system to account for odd bikes and by threading more of the QR they can go longer without an issue.

I discovered this when looking for one of these:

https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/...aviw9oRoCfQMQAvD_BwE.

I had a spare hitch mount but not an spare extra long axle. Standard QR didn't work but the one from the trainer did. I also figured the trainer QR is better designed to take the abuse so it was a win-win.
Quote Reply
Re: Long rear skewer? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks.
I have a Tacx.
I will certainly try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a ton of thread on the 150 skewer for my QR fat bike. Maybe give that a whirl?
Quote Reply