Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat??
Quote | Reply
I generally leave my long runs and long rides to the weekend when i have fewer professional obligations. I have been doing the long run on Saturday and the long ride on Sunday. I am curious what most of you are doing and looking to see if there is a good rationale to switch it up. THanks.

jg
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat?? [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same thing - 10-12 mile run Sat and 50-70 mile ride on Sunday

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're able to swing it, do the long run mid-week and the long ride on the weekend.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A coach once told me that Sundays were for running on tired legs, so I do my long ride on Saturday followed by a short run, and the long run on Sunday. Fits better into my schedule also.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat?? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've moved my long run to mid-week so I can ride both weekend days. Makes my life so much more pleasant.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long easy run friday, long ride sat, long (but a little harder) run sun, long swim tues or wed

Running is my weakest of the three.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked Mark Allen that question one time and he said bike sat and get used to running on tired legs sun. I took him at his word and that's what I do.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite the 20 hour rest, there is something psychologically beneficial about doing a long ride on a Sat and then your long run on a Sunday- makes it feel as though you are in the right order, and on tired legs.

BUT I would say most places are safer to ride on a Sunday due to traffic etc... Horses for courses I guess?

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a long ride followed by a shorter run (ie. 150-160k ride then 10k run) on Saturday and then do a shorter ride - long run on Sunday (40-50k ride then 2-2.5 hour run). It makes me swim slowly on Monday though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do my long ride on Saturday, and my long run on Sunday, mostly because I have always ridden on Saturday, so when I started running, Sunday was the day to go long. Saturday is the day that I can waste entirely, so a ride burning 5 hours or more is okay. The longest run I do on a Sunday is 3 hours, and that is over by 11:00, giving me the rest of the day for family.

The basic arguments for each, as a couple of people have mentioned, are pretty straightforward:

Run Saturday and ride Sunday because if you run long on fresh legs you are less likely to get injured running, which is the more damaging of the two sports. Or,

Ride Saturday and run Sunday because that is the order oyu'll do it in in a triathlon, and you should get used to running on tired legs.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat?? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Running is my weakest of the three."

www.posetech.com trust me

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat?? [Marcel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]A coach once told me that Sundays were for running on tired legs, so I do my long ride on Saturday followed by a short run, and the long run on Sunday. Fits better into my schedule also.[/reply]

I do also the long ride on Saturday morning (followed by a short run). On Sunday I do a ~|90 minutes run to run on 'tired' legs. My long run is normally on Tuesday morning (5-7:30am)

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run or Ride on Sunday vs. Sat?? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually started the pose method in mid june and was running 10.5 min miles for long runs. 10 weeks later I'm doing 8 min miles at the same heart rate and my knees don't hurt at all. It is so much different from what I was doing before and now it is just second nature. I'm thinking of doing one of the workshops and some video taping. Being a short guy I need all of the help I can get on the run. Luckily I don't punch a big hole in the air on the bike. Any other suggestions on running technique would be greatly appreciated.

jaretj

(This message sent with 100% recycled kilobytes!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally ride long on Saturday morning and then run long early Sunday morning. I try to finish my Saturday ride by lunch, and I start my Sunday run about 6:30 or 7:00. I can still feel the bike in my legs during the first half of the run, but then things start to loosen up. It is much more convenient for me to ride Saturday then run Sunday. I have more available time on Saturday, so I do the workout that takes the longest then.

RP
Quote Reply