Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert
Quote | Reply
General question about building up long run duration (especially doing it mid week)

Dev - I remember seeing in a random forum, you advocated doing :
Day 1 - Long run (approx 1:30-45) , followed by
Day 2 - Normal run (approx 1hr).

As opposed to doing a single long run (2-2:30) on a single day.

Is this an approach that most people take? Are there any distinct disadvantages doing this as part of a build up?
Or would you get more return/adaptation doing a single day of a larger duration?

I'm more so concerned about return on investment, and the possible impact of overall fatigue for workout sessions following both approaches.

(This is for Full-IM distance training)

Quote Reply
Re: Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several ways to accomplish your long run. Single day, multiple runs in one day, consecutive days, and brick. You will be best served to do all if them and see what works for you. The key is to do the miles and stay injury free. Period. Nothing matters more than consistency. Dev and I go back a long way and I think he would agree that building a base is first no matter how you achieve it, then do the detailed work.

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather do it the other way around: 45-60 mins day 1 and 90-105 minutes the other day. It's easier to recovery from a short run, leading to less fatigue during the longer run than doing it the other way around.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
I'd rather do it the other way around: 45-60 mins day 1 and 90-105 minutes the other day. It's easier to recovery from a short run, leading to less fatigue during the longer run than doing it the other way around.

Yeah, that's actually what I found worked well. First run 45-60 minutes early morning then later in the day 75-105 minutes! The nice thing is that you can get your long run day (or multipe longer run days) done during the week and keep the weekends for longer ride/family time.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll have to try that out; shifting it to during the week in two workouts. For the reasons you mentioned and a couple more for me it would help me to shift it away from the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall ever saying run 9--1:45 one day then 60 the next. I may have though.

I do have athletes doing 60-70 min one day 90-110 min the next day and I have athletes doing 2+ h long runs.

Maybe the run long then run an hour was specific to a particular athlete?

From a fatigue/recovery standpoint I'd advocate the hour on day 1 the longer run on day 2 without knowing anything else about your situation

and yes I still love when people can do a long run on a day other than Sat or Sun.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Long Run Training - Question for Devashish/BarryP/Desert [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtyree wrote:
I think I'll have to try that out; shifting it to during the week in two workouts. For the reasons you mentioned and a couple more for me it would help me to shift it away from the weekend.

Yeah, from a life and family organization stand point, you don't want to devote the weekend to long running AND longer riding (when I say longer riding, even 3-4 hrs is long for families).

Another version that I found was really good was early morning 90 min....10 min warmup jog, 8x1 mile Daniels cruise repeats, with whatever time is needed to bring the start time for the next mile to 10 minutes. This gets you to 90 minutes. Then either an easy lunch run or evening run of 30-40 minutes. I'd prefer the opposite sequence (do the easy jog in the morning), but for family and work like reasons, getting a 90 min slot later in the day can be tough. With this 2:10 run day, you get a combo of steady intervals (ideal for half IM or marathon training) and decent volume knocked off during a week day.

Most of managing training as an age grouper is not really the actual workouts. Its trying to fit them around rest of life and not being fried for life. Generally I'd advocate finishing every workout such that you could jog 5K more if you life depended on it but not jog that 5K save that energy for rest of life because we need it for life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 50k this weekend. My longest weekend was:
28 miles Saturday and 1 hour moderate pace Sunday. I've used this plan for a few years now and am amazed at how good I feel for Sunday's run.
Quote Reply